What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

RedVDave

First Grade
I've always found it strange that Flanno hasn't been offered another gig (as a head coach) he did what everyone thought was impossible with Cronulla but he's been legally available by the NRL since 2020 I believe there's been about 10 coaches sacked since then and he hasn't got a start. I think his behind the scenes dramas may be worse than reported not even Cronulla wanted him back am I overthinking it or does something seriously not add up?

justadragon

Bench
There definitely seemed like a shift in Hunts responses to the media a few weeks back.. could be coincidence.. but timing would be about right that we were negotiating and he wasn't too happy with the outcome.. Des prob made it clear about playing hooker also..

Would love to know if that deal is closed though or still being negotiated.. I think the club really want to know their interim policy also, but they don't know how to handle it... if they back Griffin to continue as interim.. and things get even worse.. they look pretty silly.
How much worse can it get, we are just about equal last on the ladder !!!

justadragon

Bench
I've always found it strange that Flanno hasn't been offered another gig (as a head coach) he did what everyone thought was impossible with Cronulla but he's been legally available by the NRL since 2020 I believe there's been about 10 coaches sacked since then and he hasn't got a start. I think his behind the scenes dramas may be worse than reported not even Cronulla wanted him back am I overthinking it or does something seriously not add up?
How many coaches do you know that have been through something like that and have come back to be successful, James Hird went through a similar thing and look what happened to him. Even if Flanno I suppose took over a club and got that team to some significant point, there would always be just a little question mark of hmmm I wonder. I think its a case of " Forgive but Never Forget".

Mojo

Bench
How many coaches do you know that have been through something like that and have come back to be successful, James Hird went through a similar thing and look what happened to him. Even if Flanno I suppose took over a club and got that team to some significant point, there would always be just a little question mark of hmmm I wonder. I think its a case of " Forgive but Never Forget".
What if, god forbid, he actually hasn't learned from his mistakes? Just imagine the worst case scenario - after all we've been through, Saints appoint a coach with his background and someone get's busted again! His actions during his suspension also demonstrated that he's an inherently loose cannon. Yes, he served his time etc. but it's simply a permanent stain on his CV.

So any club that wants to pay over a $1 million a season for a 35 year old halfback that cant game manage
Our FO should be shot at dawn for signing this bloke back in 2018. I saw it then as a knee jerk reaction to the looming loss of Gareth Widdop and still do. Widdop would game manage Hunt under the table. In his Dragons debut in 2014 against the Wests Tigers, Widdop had four assists of seven tries and potted eight from eight in the Dragons 44-24 win. Ben Hunt could only dream of a game impact like that.
Wasn't Hunt signed for six years at $1.2m a yr, so more like $7m. Just ponder the top tierers we could have had playing for us now for that kind of coin.

Last edited:

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
I think 2-6 is pretty bad. Lose to the tigers and surely this clown is gone. I’m still shocked that he’s still here after the doggies debacle. This circus is on par as the end of the peanut dark days
Even more, yeah some of those losses were close. But let's say we won them, and we're 6 and 2, I'd still be a bit pissed. Know why? Cos we've had a pretty damn easy draw and the second we came up against half decent opposition we got flogged.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
Our FO should be shot at dawn for signing this bloke back in 2018. I saw it then as a knee jerk reaction to the looming loss of Gareth Widdop and still do. Widdop would game manage Hunt under the table. In his Dragons debut in 2014 against the Wests Tigers, Widdop had four assists of seven tries and potted eight from eight in the Dragons 44-24 win. Ben Hunt could only dream of a game impact like that.
Wasn't Hunt signed for six years at $1.2m a yr, so more like $7m. Just ponder the top tierers we could have had playing for us now for that kind of coin.
Still have so much respect for Gaz as one of my favourite Dragons of the last 15-20 years. Even through the Mary era he pretty much carried our team, although Benji had a good season or two. McCrone as halfback, however...

Still have so much respect for Gaz as one of my favourite Dragons of the last 15-20 years.
Ditto. FO should have done everything possible to keep him a Dragon beyond 2019. The season prior he took us to our first finals since 2015 and two years earlier was named Dally M 5/8 of the year. In his last year or so with us he did, tho, have a series of shoulder injuries which kept him off the field for lengthy periods. Perhaps that is the reason FO did not dig deep to keep him.

If Des Hasler is our next coach do you think he may bring some Manly players with him. You know guys that he probably had a lot to do with during their development. One may be Josh Schuster who is a bit on the outer over there at present. Still young, good ball skills. Hearing he is currently on 600k.

Wolfgang90

Juniors
Hasler just gives my Griffin vibes. Control freak who is too stubborn to change his ways if it doesn't work. No thank you.

Latest posts