What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

blacksafake

First Grade
I know not a rumour, but watching the last second try against the Roosters for the 100th time, I noticed that when Sloan put up the kick, Ben Hunt put his hands on his head. This is what he instinctively does when disappointed. He would off been ecstatic a few seconds later however.
Noticed it as well.
Not sure if he was disappointed or hoping.

TheRev

First Grade
I think Hunt might have been shocked by the type of kick.. I thought he might have grubbered it through to take the bounce out of the equation.. but anyway alls good that ends well.. great moment for our club to snag that win.. imagine how foul we would be feeling this week if we had missed out with all of the Radley stuff and whoever the other tool was that hit Couchman.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
Good! Not true. I thought so. I'm pleased.
I still reckon the criticism of Sullivan's a couple of weeks earlier kick was unfair. If it succeeded he would have been anointed a new genius of the game. We weren't going to score through the hands.
Never understood the criticism here. It was actually a damn good kick, and the right option. What, did Hook think that we'd go through the hands without the defense shifting across? This is why the numnuts shouldn't have been coaching us to start with. Lomax was on the line, and I'm not blaming Zac either considering he's probably not inclined to doing putdowns on that side anyway

since77

Juniors
I know not a rumour, but watching the last second try against the Roosters for the 100th time, I noticed that when Sloan put up the kick, Ben Hunt put his hands on his head. This is what he instinctively does when disappointed. He would off been ecstatic a few seconds later however.
I saw that too but he did give Sloan a thumbs up during the celebrations after the try was scored plus he praised him for the kick in the press conference. I’m just glad that for once it was us breaking the other teams heart on full time because that usually happens the other way around and we’re conceding the try……

blacksafake

First Grade
Good! Not true. I thought so. I'm pleased.
I still reckon the criticism of Sullivan's a couple of weeks earlier kick was unfair. If it succeeded he would have been anointed a new genius of the game. We weren't going to score through the hands.
I said at the time the kick was on & that’s what the good players do. Unfortunately a couple of centimetres was the difference but in Hooks mind these type of plays are a no no.
Thank god he’s gone.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I am sure I heard Hunt also say "we have some very talented kids in the squad" referring to Sloan, Bud and Amone. Hunt was rapt when they scored. Hunt put in a great performance lets give the guy some credit. Hook is gone now so he can concentrate on his game on not helping his mate keep his job.

I hate how he gets hounded about his future after he just signed an extension. He mentioned to Carryanis ( I trust this guy more than others especially because he is a Dragons fan) that he is not going anywhere until he has a chat to the new coach. The new coach may want to move Ben on who knows, he may have other ideas so that is probably what Ben is referring to. If Ben is clearly not wanted he will move and why not.

That is why I want Ryles to come in because if anyone can move Hunt to hooker and make it work it would be a guy that has spent plenty of time around the Storm setup during the Cam Smith era which I am sure he can use to influence Ben to transition there and help him manage his game to prolong his career. How old was Cam Smith when he retired again? 37. Yep that is 4 more years for Benny and if he is worried about playing hooker will limit his time in the game, then Cam Smith is a prime example that it definitely won't if he plays his cards right.

BlackDuckSaint

Juniors
I said at the time the kick was on & that’s what the good players do. Unfortunately a couple of centimetres was the difference but in Hooks mind these type of plays are a no no.
Thank god he’s gone.
One of the famous quotes from Ayrton Senna was, and I might be paraphrasing "if you are no longer going for a gap that is there, you are no longer a racing driver". I have always loved that quote.

It shows the difference between people and the elite. As a coach, I feel like you should never snuff out that instinct to go for the big play.

If it goes wrong... That is when you coach and show that there were different options and help that understand through making mistakes.
If you learn from a mistake, it isn't a mistake.

The more I think back to hook's tenure, and he might be a good bloke, but he did coach the footy out of our team.

Mojo

Bench
I am sure I heard Hunt also say "we have some very talented kids in the squad" referring to Sloan, Bud and Amone. Hunt was rapt when they scored. Hunt put in a great performance lets give the guy some credit. Hook is gone now so he can concentrate on his game on not helping his mate keep his job.

I hate how he gets hounded about his future after he just signed an extension. He mentioned to Carryanis ( I trust this guy more than others especially because he is a Dragons fan) that he is not going anywhere until he has a chat to the new coach. The new coach may want to move Ben on who knows, he may have other ideas so that is probably what Ben is referring to. If Ben is clearly not wanted he will move and why not.

That is why I want Ryles to come in because if anyone can move Hunt to hooker and make it work it would be a guy that has spent plenty of time around the Storm setup during the Cam Smith era which I am sure he can use to influence Ben to transition there and help him manage his game to prolong his career. How old was Cam Smith when he retired again? 37. Yep that is 4 more years for Benny and if he is worried about playing hooker will limit his time in the game, then Cam Smith is a prime example that it definitely won't if he plays his cards right.
Yes. My only issue with Hunt was his devotion to Hook. Admirable on a personal level but, I think, mistaken on a professional level, even in terms of the management of his own career.

Mojo

Bench
One of the famous quotes from Ayrton Senna was, and I might be paraphrasing "if you are no longer going for a gap that is there, you are no longer a racing driver". I have always loved that quote.

It shows the difference between people and the elite. As a coach, I feel like you should never snuff out that instinct to go for the big play.

If it goes wrong... That is when you coach and show that there were different options and help that understand through making mistakes.
If you learn from a mistake, it isn't a mistake.

The more I think back to hook's tenure, and he might be a good bloke, but he did coach the footy out of our team.
Ayrton's career ended tragically too, didn't it? Sometimes it's advisable to also ask yourself where the extremes of performance might lie. It's great to have players who are testing the limits but you want them to stay at that level and not push too far. Not that Hook coached that way. Conservative headspace can't possibly win in NRL these days.

Overseadragon

Juniors
I think Hunt might have been shocked by the type of kick.. I thought he might have grubbered it through to take the bounce out of the equation.. but anyway alls good that ends well.. great moment for our club to snag that win.. imagine how foul we would be feeling this week if we had missed out with all of the Radley stuff and whoever the other tool was that hit Couchman.
Wasn't it the same kid who scored that great try against the donkeys to win the game as well seems he's good in the clutch that boy

Rod Coil

Juniors
Jason Ryles has been released by the Roosters immediately, James Hooper has stated he will be officially announced as head coach of St George next week

No transfer fee needed and has got the whole of this year to put all his focus on the club
Hang on, 12 hours ago the Fox goons were telling us that Ryles had ‘cold feet’. They are all scum. (Same as Tallis).

Dragon David

First Grade

Contracts certainly don't mean much nowadays. If the Roosters have actually told Ryles to pack his bags now and leave the tri-colours, then the Roosters in my opinion cannot expect the Dragons to pay any compensation as a result of this. But, in saying this Ryles has been reported to having cold feet in joining our club, so where will he be going?

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Hang on, 12 hours ago the Fox goons were telling us that Ryles had ‘cold feet’. They are all scum. (Same as Tallis).
Not denying the strong Rooster bias among the Fox talking heads but maybe by sacking Ryles immediately, Uncle Nick has handed the Dragons not just a strong hand that we had when Ryles had until the end of 2023 to make a decision, but the whip hand given Ryles has nowhere to go for the rest of 2023. The Titans is the only other HC possibility for Ryles- but probably not till 2024 and I would be surprised if he'd want to uproot his family from Wollongong for a challenge no smaller than the Dragons.

Will be interested to see who ends up in the key roles of GM Football and Head recruitment and retention. Richardson and Brown can both be abrasive but are also effective- although I never rated Brown as a coach.

Latest posts