What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

offiah

Juniors

BREAKING: St George Illawarra appoint Jason Ryles as head coach​

League Initiative

BY LEAGUE INITIATIVE

May 30, 2023

in Clubs, News, St George Illawarra Dragons

League Initiative can reveal that the St George Illawarra Dragons have officially appointed Jason Ryles as their head coach from the 2024 NRL season.

The Dragons are set to officially announce the appointment to Red V members and fans this week, however, League Initiative can confirm that ink has been put to paper.
Ryles is to be appointed for a four year term that includes performance hurdles in year three and four which will require the team to reach specific benchmarks.
As part of the negotiations, Ryles insisted that ultimate control of the football department must rest with the head coach in order to avoid interference from external factors. Ryles is said to be conscious of the issues that have hampered the club’s performance in recent years, therefore, ensuring that the football department has total control of football related matters, such as recruitment and retention, was a fierce priority for Ryles.

Ryles will now spend the remainder of the 2023 season finalising his support staff and reviewing the Dragons‘ roster until he is able to take over from interim head coach Ryan Carr. The Sydney Roosters have not shied away from airing their displeasure towards Ryles, and initially, were set to insist that Ryles be placed on gardening leave. However, the Roosters will immediately and acrimoniously part ways with their assistant coach.

Who is Jason Ryles?

Jason Ryles made his NRL debut for the St George Illawarra Dragons in 2000 and played 156 games for the Red V until his departure in 2008. In 2009, Ryles joined the Catalans Dragons in France before returning to Australia with stints at the Sydney Roosters and Melbourne Storm.
Ryles commenced his coaching career in 2012 as an assistant coach for the NSW State of Origin under 20s rugby team. He continued in that role in 2013 and achieved success by defeating Queensland’s under 20s team in both years.
After retiring as a player in the National Rugby League, Ryles became the head coach of the Western Suburbs Red Devils for the 2014/2015 seasons. In 2015, Ryles was approached by the Melbourne Storm to join their coaching staff as an assistant coach. He held this position until the autumn of 2020. During his time with the Storm, Ryles also assisted in coaching England’s national rugby union team periodically. From 2016 to the present, Ryles served as the assistant coach for the Junior Kangaroos in 2016 and 2017. In autumn 2020, Ryles joined England as a full-time skills coach, but he was unable to participate in the 2021 Six Nations Championship due to travel restrictions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. He left the role in May 2021. In 2022, Ryles joined the Sydney Roosters as an assistant coach.

Phantom V

Juniors
Is Ryles the answer? Who knows? But we badly need potential signings to know who our coach is going forward and getting this sorted is big for us. Probably announced origin so it is usurped by other news.

hopefully he comes with connections amongst players. We need a culture transplant.
I’m wrapped that things seem to be moving in a positive direction and we can start to put the last few years behind us.

I agree, hopefully Ryles can attract some quality players like Fitzy did at the Sharks. I’d say he’s well connected and seems to have a good reputation and if Brownie comes on board it’s a big bonus. Happy days.

As long as the SGJRL continues to provide a S G Ball Cup and Harold Matthews Cup rep side every season it is alive and well. The club has its choice from 1200 boys from 6-18 years from nine clubs. Naturally the girls game is growing as it is relatively new yet there are no more than four clubs with female comps and most are small by comparison to the boys.
I think we'll have to agree to disagree. The fact that from U13 up are all combined comps with Cronulla , and that 75% of those teams are from Cronulla doesnt point to a healthy St George area to me. Sadly this is reflected right across Sydney except for the Penrith and Wollongong areas. However I only care about St George and i just wish there were more kids playing Rugby League and not soccer and AFL. If you want to see insanity look at where the teams come from for the U20s comp- literally right across the whole of Sydney. This isnt just a St George problem but fixing it is

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Wow. Every other journalist has it as a done deal except Weidler. What did Saints do to stuff this up? If this is true Saints will be the laughing stock of the NRL.

ended up settling on BMM
Griffin has a lot to answer for with this recruitment master stroke, firstly, then playing him on the edge and for the full 80 mins. He is cooked after 40, so then hides in the back line for a snooze only to be woken when someone gives him the ball, then he lumbers down field with no plan what to do. Finally a decent coach has seen sense and relegated the over sized log to the bench.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Wow. Every other journalist has it as a done deal except Weidler. What did Saints do to stuff this up? If this is true Saints will be the laughing stock of the NRL.
If true, I'd say Melbourne came in with a last minute and more attractive offer. Better facilities, smarter back room, better player roster, assistance with relocating family, better schools for his kids etc etc.