What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

since77

Juniors
2018 was not a fluke! If Mary was not the coach and Widdop was not injured, we could have made GF. Have a look at starting forwards for Souths game: Graham, McInnes, Frizell, Sims and Debelin (all State of Origin level players and all were at the top of their game). Only AhMau was the journey man. Imagine what Flanno could have done with that forward pack.
Um, no. Take your rose coloured glasses off. Worst coach in the NRL at the time. Team fell off a cliff two thirds through the season because Mary started believing his own maxims and got a big head after Bellamy said we were the benchmark in April or May. Fell into the finals. Won first game of finals because they threw McGregor's bash and barge game plan out the window. Threw the Souths game away when it was already won because they were mentally weak.
Take a look at the years before and after 2018. Diabolical. 2018 was what you call an anomaly. Or a fluke.
The one thing I DO agree with you on is that Flanagan would have done much better with that squad. Perhaps under him, there might have been a better, smarter, more well drilled team with an actual game plan and perhaps a GF.

Parko1310

Juniors
Um, no. Take your rose coloured glasses off. Worst coach in the NRL at the time. Team fell off a cliff two thirds through the season because Mary started believing his own maxims and got a big head after Bellamy said we were the benchmark in April or May. Fell into the finals. Won first game of finals because they threw McGregor's bash and barge game plan out the window. Threw the Souths game away when it was already won because they were mentally weak.
Take a look at the years before and after 2018. Diabolical. 2018 was what you call an anomaly. Or a fluke.
The one thing I DO agree with you on is that Flanagan would have done much better with that squad. Perhaps under him, there might have been a better, smarter, more well drilled team with an actual game plan and perhaps a GF.
I would think it's been stated as not being a "fluke" because the team we had was very good and should have done much better than they did. 2019 they should've been up there too, the de Belin case completely derailed the club and playing group whether people will admit it or not. After it happened, Frizell wanted out, Widdop was gone after his shoulder issues in 2018, Norman was brought in (he could've worked if the squad was still harmonised at the time, but they weren't), the influence of Nightingale was gone, Aitken, Lafai got found out once around a team not flying high which was always going to happen given how terrible they always were as defensive centres.

The squad was there in 2018, almost every single player in the team was at their peak. A better coach, and as you say, a better mentality, and we go very very close. Who knows if we could've beaten the Chooks with the form they were in even if we had these things. The situation we got ourselves in though, being outside the top 4, we were no chance. Had we gotten past Souths, we would've limped into the roosters game absolutely battered.

steerlerbab

Juniors
How was Leeson a journeyman? He was 7 years with the Dragons, represented New Zealand. He was a better forward than Graham in 2018, could break the line and get an off-load. Great player. Certainly not a journey man.
You're right. My memory fades me. Mixed him up with somebody else. Anyway my point was we had a much better forward pack then. Much better than what we will have in 2024 unless few guys step up this year.

steerlerbab

Juniors
What you referred to was a form slump. Every team, even grand finalists go thru form slump! Anyway, the 2018 team recovered and made the semis and played great footy. As a fan, the players that represented us back in 2018 , made me proud to be a Dragon supporter and they put a smile on my face that year. Even their last game against south we lost by 3 Adam Reynolds field goals brings back a great memory.

It is your choice to rubbish the 2018 team. However I will honor the 2018 team.

What you referred to was a form slump. Every team, even grand finalists go thru form slump! Anyway, the 2018 team recovered and made the semis and played great footy. As a fan, the players that represented us back in 2018 , made me proud to be a Dragon supporter and they put a smile on my face that year. Even their last game against south we lost by 3 Adam Reynolds field goals brings back a great memory.

Steeler Bob, we have been in a form slump since mid season 2011 :)

since77

Juniors

Nope. Easy draw in the first half of season. Then they performed as expected from there on. You seem to forget that during the Mary years the team quite often got off to ok starts early in the year then always crumbled as the season went on.
I was cheering them on too during that semi finals series. It was still a fluke that they overachieved that year.
And if you have great memories of those 3 Adam Reynolds field goals then you’re far more easily pleased than me. I’m still depressed about it.

Crush

Coach
2018 was not a fluke! If Mary was not the coach and Widdop was not injured, we could have made GF. Have a look at starting forwards for Souths game: Graham, McInnes, Frizell, Sims and Debelin (all State of Origin level players and all were at the top of their game). Only AhMau was the journey man. Imagine what Flanno could have done with that forward pack.
2018 Dragons had a very good forward pack, quite good halves and dogshit backs.
Dufty, Nene, Aitken, Lafai, Nightingale (end of career shithouse Nighty)
I think they did as well as they could have with a rubbish coach and bottom 4 backline, they probably overachieved really.

Crush

Coach
Steeler Bob, we have been in a form slump since mid season 2011 :)
I’ve hated State of Origin ever since 2011 series.
We’d won 10 from 11 before Origin 1, we looked invincible. Then they selected about 8 dragons in the SOO series, Jamie Soward shat the bed and was never the same, and the wheels fell off for us and have never been put back on.

qld redvee

Juniors
We’d won 10 from 11 before Origin 1, we looked invincible. Then they selected about 8 dragons in the SOO series, Jamie Soward shat the bed and was never the same, and the wheels fell off for us and have never been put back on.
we were so down on troops prior went to centres and we had to get reece simmonds back out of 'retirement" to jump on a wing spot . remember the night at kogarah against gold coast i think where we finally hit the wall and lost BUT gold coast did everything to lose, yep state of origin cost us a big shot at 2011

mickeylane

Bench
I’d be really happy if we started the season with anyone but Fegai. We got a real good look at him last year and I’ve seen plenty.
Fegai is a liability and won’t be in starting line up when whips are cracking .. I also expect hunt at some stage being moved to hooker permanently so young Flanno and Volkman form the halves .. I think Flanno senior is going to give his son some time to settle in them move him into the lead playmakers role knowing that Hunt is itching for a switch end of season ..

ralph18

Juniors
Don't know about that. My recollection is that the wheels fell off right after Bennett announced that he was leaving.

Rod Coil

Juniors
Nope. Easy draw in the first half of season. Then they performed as expected from there on. You seem to forget that during the Mary years the team quite often got off to ok starts early in the year then always crumbled as the season went on.
I was cheering them on too during that semi finals series. It was still a fluke that they overachieved that year.
And if you have great memories of those 3 Adam Reynolds field goals then you’re far more easily pleased than me. I’m still depressed about it.
Agree. The game was replayed on Fox just before Christmas. We were even with 59 seconds to go & Hunt ran the ball on the 5th instead of kicking it downtown. South’s couldn’t believe their luck. The rest is history with a simple set finished with Reynold’s 3rd field goal.

possm

Coach
I’d be really happy if we started the season with anyone but Fegai. We got a real good look at him last year and I’ve seen plenty.
I guess Flanno is keeping a good ey on all and will make some decisions closer to the season. However, I would look forward to seeing some of these young guns play during the Charity Sheild match. If Sloan is not ready is may be Lomax to fullback and a couple of youngsters in the back five.

possm

Coach
Unbelievable highlights of Finau. Strong, fast, tough. A fighter who doesn't know fear. Thanks Auntie.
Maybe Lomax to fullback
Finau to left-center
Suli to right-center (his preferred position)
Allen to left-wing

Amone was the problem on our left in defense. Yes, our left edge forward was slow and missed tackles, but this was compounded with Amone also missing tackles, so we were always stripped for numbers, causing Feagai to rush in. And because Sloan was also weak on field position and defense, we had no hope.

ralph18

Juniors
Nah mate, Bennett announced he was leaving in March, Origin wasn’t until 25th May, we dropped one game in 11 before Origin.
It was Origin, not the Bennett announcement.
Well we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one.

I'm convinced that the devastating effect Bennett's announcement had on team morale was the primary if not sole cause of the tragic collapse of 2011.

Bennett's flippant attitude during post match press conferences amid the decline didn't help much either.

Origin was just the excuse used at the time from memory.

Last edited:

Mojo

Bench
Mary flogged his best players to the point of exhaustion.

Latest posts