What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

justadragon

Bench
How hard is it when we're receiving drop outs to set Lomax up on the side the kicker prefers to kick to so we have a better chance of keeping the ball? Did my head in last year the amount of times he'd be on the other side and we'd lose possession. It makes no sense to have him stationed on the side the kick obviously isn't going to. It's not that hard to think of is it?? Dumb, dumb, dumb. On Lomax in the air as well, he does need to start going up with the intent of actually catching the ball, not just waving one arm up in the air as if that's going to do anything at all other than result in a knock on.
Yep did my head in to Parko,,, did did all the hard stuff in trapping a team in- goal
I actually cant remember 1 instance where they took the ball from either a short kick off or short line drop out?
I can remember one but it was more a fluke rather than good management.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
If u watch the roosters kicking game

The kicks where an offensive player can get to the opposition at the same for a contest it is almost always Teddy right next to his kicker and ready to contest if a kick mid field

Id like to see Sloan going up for those to challenge his opposite number under the bomb

possm

Coach
Ezra Mam is off contract at the end of 2024 and has not been extended as yet. He has knocked back a Broncos offer of 3m over four years. Mam is a good fit being young, has speed and is experienced.

Why not offer a trade, Ben Hunt for Ezra Mam? If possible arrange a swap for 2024. Mam 3.5 over four years. We need to make some significant changes in our roster if we want to move up the competition ladder.

1. Lomax (c)
6. Mam
7. Flannagan
9. Liddle (60min per match)
14. Volkman (20min per match)

Hopefully, the Dragons players will be much quicker and fitter this season.

Last edited:

Mojo

Bench
I agree with you and of course due to that us forcing a line drop out holds little to no fear for our opposition.

There is very little we do consistently that remotely strikes fear into the heart of our opposition yet in every game Dragon supporters are on the edge of their seat with our hearts in our mouths in almost every defensive play.

Chalk & cheese between us and our opponents regardless of how shit they are.
We should let Rav take the drop outs. That would be very unpredictable.

dragon75

Juniors
In my opinion Dragons were one of the first teams to try and perfect the short drop outs...poor execution and Norman let us down. Remember Hook saying at the time he hated it !!! It was either poor coaching or poor discipline that let them down...if done well, not a bad tactic.
Go the mighties in '24

BLM01

First Grade
Yeah. I just don't know why there hasn't been any announcement. You'd think this is pretty significant news wouldn't you?
Yep but the press release back in November told me and indicated to me it was done or agreed with likely minor details / sign offs as those that wanted to, celebrated then. The news is out there.
The fact this year it is still not the prime sponsorship as only on the back of the shirt. There are other non major sponsors that dont get the press release your looking for.
They probably will do something with a photo at some stage but next year is supposedly when the major deal kicks in.
Maybe it is out of courtesy to the current major StGeorge/Westpac deal and they wont announce it as official until that expires at the end of this year??.

Yeah. I just don't know why there hasn't been any announcement. You'd think this is pretty significant news wouldn't you?
The delay could be for a number of reasons.
Seeing the major jersey sponsorship is from 2025 and St George Bank still has this year to play out, out of respect for them the club may be holding back on the new sponsorship announcement??
Whatever is going on, the club really needs to make sure they get this one right.

BLM01

First Grade
I just feel that hunt doesn’t have that “precision” or confidence to kick on a dime. I don’t know who wouldn’t take DCE over him. Same price, better performance.
Agree he is not a tactician, nor a scheming half (as the media put it sees 3 tackles ahead of everyone else) but more an impulse player or just goes for it when he sees an opportunity. Cant kick a field goal. Always has been that type of player. We paid too much for him way back in 2017 when the deal was done for what he could do as our premium half although I thought him and Widdop would be a good combo as he could do what Hunt could not except they were both impulse players.
That was also on the back of desperation and Mary wanting him as he tried 2 years prior to lure him and he knocked us back.

Last edited:

Dragons4me

Juniors
Yep but the press release back in November told me and indicated to me it was done or agreed with likely minor details / sign offs as those that wanted to, celebrated then. The news is out there.
The fact this year it is still not the prime sponsorship as only on the back of the shirt. There are other non major sponsors that dont get the press release your looking for.
They probably will do something with a photo at some stage but next year is supposedly when the major deal kicks in.
Maybe it is out of courtesy to the current major StGeorge/Westpac deal and they wont announce it as official until that expires at the end of this year??.

Thanks BLM01!! :D:D

since77

Juniors
In my opinion Dragons were one of the first teams to try and perfect the short drop outs...poor execution and Norman let us down. Remember Hook saying at the time he hated it !!! It was either poor coaching or poor discipline that let them down...if done well, not a bad tactic.
Go the mighties in '24
The big difference was that you could tell that they never practiced this basic stuff. Either the attacking or the defensive side of the short drop outs or kick offs. They literally looked liked they had no idea what they were doing either receiving the ball or kicking it. Unforgivably woeful coaching by Griffin. Other teams must just have laughed on short drop outs or kick offs knowing they were a much better than 50% chance of getting the ball.

Dragon David

First Grade
The big difference was that you could tell that they never practiced this basic stuff. Either the attacking or the defensive side of the short drop outs or kick offs. They literally looked liked they had no idea what they were doing either receiving the ball or kicking it. Unforgivably woeful coaching by Griffin. Other teams must just have laughed on short drop outs or kick offs knowing they were a much better than 50% chance of getting the ball.
Those other teams who have been quite good at either retrieving the ball from their goal line kick out or from the short kick off on the half way line would have practised doing that stuff like it was always a part of their training drills. The good clubs could see that to overcome having to kick out from their goal line if they threw the ball over the dead ball line or dived on the ball in their try zone, they made it a point to try and get the ball back rather than lose it by kicking out down field giving the ball to the opposition. They would practise it so much that it would become second nature rather than like us who took pot luck at trying to get the ball without, I'm assuming, not too much practise.

TheRev

First Grade
I reckon for sure there will be an announcement, either something isnt finished or someone is on leave.. its not urgent as such.. and its only a back of shirt deal for now also... but yah id also like to see it finalised.. it could be a really big deal for the club, and definitely a boost of positivity.