What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

shiloh dc

Juniors
St George has a long history of being involved in 'first' games.
I was fortunate enough to see us play on opening day/night at Stadium Australia, Paramatta Stadium & the SFS. So to not have us paying on the first day of Vegas hurts - it really hurts - but is mitigated by the fact we are not up to standard and would save embarrassment.
Unless we greatly improve of the next 2-3 years - I just can't see us ever getting an invite.
That would be a shame - as there could be a large amount of overseas fan memberships that might flow to other teams in the next few years.

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
Same here Dragon Dave
I think someone was critical of him posting the same things on different threads and getsmarty had his reasons for it and suggested that someone else post things like he has been doing for quite some time instead. I'm not sure if he was happy with the criticism which to me is understandable. He was doing his job to keep us all informed of anything of interest etc and not to be criticised over it.

shiloh dc

Juniors
As an impartial - both games in Vegas have been great - perfect advertisement for the NRL. Congrats to PVL/Abdo and all involved.
The secret to getting a footprint in the US is to have games live on Fox1 or 2 during the sparse midnight - 6 am timeslot and having mini versions of all games on say Tuesday night of each week. Give it a few years and you will have enormous viewing numbers.
Don't be surprised to see US equity groups looking to invest in some of our sides - its petty cash for them. Imagine the Fenway Sports Group adding the Dragons to their stable of red teams - Liverpool FC and Boston Red Socks - an in no way ignoring their best team - the Pittsburgh Penguins!

Last edited:

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
I was fortunate enough to see us play on opening day/night at Stadium Australia, Paramatta Stadium & the SFS. So to not have us paying on the first day of Vegas hurts - it really hurts - but is mitigated by the fact we are not up to standard and would save embarrassment.
Unless we greatly improve of the next 2-3 years - I just can't see us ever getting an invite.
That would be a shame - as there could be a large amount of overseas fan memberships that might flow to other teams in the next few years.
You do know we didn't apply to go this year, Flanno wanted to concentrate on preseason training, also all teams over the next 5 years will go to Vegas, so we are going no matter how good or bad we are performing.

shiloh dc

Juniors
You do know we didn't apply to go this year, Flanno wanted to concentrate on preseason training, also all teams over the next 5 years will go to Vegas, so we are going no matter how good or bad we are performing.
I know we didn't apply - just highlighting how far we have fallen.
Not convinced all teams will go within the 5 year timeframe. With 17 teams - 3 teams must go twice. However, it wouldn't surprise me if PLV restricts some of the lesser teams from going so as to not dilute the product.

since77

Juniors
This would have a been a terrible time for the club to play in Vegas. In the first year of a new era we didn't need the distraction of travel and media hype etc. I'm sure Flanno would have preferred we have a relatively quiet start to the season where the players can just focus on his new processes and structures without the distraction of a junket in Vegas.
I'm really happy we weren't featured this year.

This would have a been a terrible time for the club to play in Vegas. In the first year of a new era we didn't need the distraction of travel and media hype etc. I'm sure Flanno would have preferred we have a relatively quiet start to the season where the players can just focus on his new processes and structures without the distraction of a junket in Vegas.
I'm really happy we weren't featured this year.
Plus the NRL is locked in for the next 4 years, giving Flanagan the opportunity to continue the rebuild without any distractions before putting forward the Dragons as a club who want to play in the opening round at Las Vegas.
If it all goes to plan, I can see the Big Red V playing in Vegas in 2026.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
I see Politis and Penn are already sniffing around to try and make their team a permanent selection for the Vegas teams for the next 4 years. At 4 teams a year for 5 years there is obviously the opportunity for all of the current teams to experience the Vegas trip - there may even be 20 teams in the NRL by then! You've had your turn Nick and Sean. Shut up and go away.

Dragon David

First Grade
I see Politis and Penn are already sniffing around to try and make their team a permanent selection for the Vegas teams for the next 4 years. At 4 teams a year for 5 years there is obviously the opportunity for all of the current teams to experience the Vegas trip - there may even be 20 teams in the NRL by then! You've had your turn Nick and Sean. Shut up and go away.
Who the hell do they think they are? Just because their teams won in this first Vegas venture doesn't give them the right to play in that part of the world for the next 4 years. Just be grateful that you bloody won and let others enjoy the trip in years to come.

RedVee

First Grade
Who the hell do they think they are? Just because their teams won in this first Vegas venture doesn't give them the right to play in that part of the world for the next 4 years. Just be grateful that you bloody won and let others enjoy the trip in years to come.
They came out with that call before the games had even be played.
Maybe a touch arrogant????

shiloh dc

Juniors
No not arrogant - just first mover advantage. If you convert just 1M yanks(250K for each of the 4 teams) to fans and they each buy a membership $100 and jersey $100- that could be $50M to each team. The teams going next year can still capitalise but the teams going in years 3-5 will pick up much fewer new fans and dollars as most new US fans will have selected their teams to follow.
If we had management/ownership that was better funded and with better business acumen - we would have a more competitive team and we would surely have been to Vegas in years 1-2.
I'm pissed because we may miss the boat and permanently remain a smaller team.

RedVee

First Grade
No not arrogant - just first mover advantage. If you convert just 1M yanks(250K for each of the 4 teams) to fans and they each buy a membership $100 and jersey $100- that could be $50M to each team. The teams going next year can still capitalise but the teams going in years 3-5 will pick up much fewer new fans and dollars as most new US fans will have selected their teams to follow.
If we had management/ownership that was better funded and with better business acumen - we would have a more competitive team and we would surely have been to Vegas in yeas 1-2.
I'm pissed because we may miss the boat and permanently remain a smaller team.
I say arrogant because they expect to be “America’s Team” due to being red white and blue and Eagles.

I also am hugely disappointed by the lack of ambition we have shown in the last decade or more.

Latest posts