What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

TheRev

First Grade
They've looked soo unconvincing. I really think Cam Murray/Coach need to have some hard truths with a few of their players. They need to take total control.
Hopefully that doesn't happen, I'm really enjoying the ride!

Rly interested to thee how the Dogs v Titans goes tomorrow also.. 2 more sides without a win.. feel like 1 of them is going to announce themselves.

Just wish we could find a way to steal some of their talent.. their NSW Cup team is brimming..
They have a pretty decent halfback in there! Actually, I like Ilias and Hawkins, but Flanagan would never select them over Hunt or Kyle, and neither of them are coming to play NSW Cup for us.

The other really good player there is the 9 Mamouzelos. He might come to share the hooker role with Liddle. The only thing is that Cook's age might encourage him to stay at Souths. Also, Cook comes off contract afer 2025, but Mamouzelos is on the books until the end of 2027.

Speaking of 9s in NSW Cup. Jayden Berrell at Sharks/Jets is very good but never plays because Brailey plays 80 minutes and never gets injured (his brother has filled the family quota). Berrell is off contract at the end of this year. He could solve our hooker depth problem immediately.

Souths just played Manly/Broncos/Roosters.. and other than the Panthers, those are probably the Top 4 sides.... i.e. it's nowhere near as bad performance wise as being made out.. but im certainly enjoying their misery nonetheless....
To concede 48 points in a local derby against a team that is on a 5 day turnaround is very bad! They have now conceded 36, 28, and 48 points in their first three games!

Trifili13

Juniors
If the Rabbits don't beat the Dogs next week they having a shocking run and could easily be nil wins after 8 or 9 rounds.

Not having ago at anyone, but do people that wanted JD to coach the Dragon's would they take him now if say Flanno was to walk away or get sacked?

dannyt

Coach
If the Rabbits don't beat the Dogs next week they having a shocking run and could easily be nil wins after 8 or 9 rounds.

Not having ago at anyone, but do people that wanted JD to coach the Dragon's would they take him now if say Flanno was to walk away or get sacked?
I think you'll find many wanted JD in preference to this guy:
1711145026718.png
Mind you, I would've preferred this over that guy:
1711145086237.png

steerlerbab

Juniors
Looks like JD has lost some of the playing group. I watched South vs Roosters and only Keason and Cameron looked like playing. The rest were dead wood. Wighton would have had more chance of winning premiership with Raiders than this South bunch. Anyway, Ricky may be lucky he left. Dom young walked few times around the whole south backline. Believe me he was not running!

TheRev

First Grade
They have a pretty decent halfback in there! Actually, I like Ilias and Hawkins, but Flanagan would never select them over Hunt or Kyle, and neither of them are coming to play NSW Cup for us.

The other really good player there is the 9 Mamouzelos. He might come to share the hooker role with Liddle. The only thing is that Cook's age might encourage him to stay at Souths. Also, Cook comes off contract afer 2025, but Mamouzelos is on the books until the end of 2027.

Speaking of 9s in NSW Cup. Jayden Berrell at Sharks/Jets is very good but never plays because Brailey plays 80 minutes and never gets injured (his brother has filled the family quota). Berrell is off contract at the end of this year. He could solve our hooker depth problem immediately.
Mamouzelos has been so patient.. He's 23.. that would be the equivalent of any of our current SG kids waiting another 5yrs to see first grade... without taking up any number of offers from other clubs...if we could be so lucky.. thats how great clubs become great.. reserve grade sides full of patient budding 1st graders ready to push through the moment someones injured or out of form.

That Jye Gray kid looked the bomb in trials, I'd love him as our fullback, but im sure there are a number of others.. the problem is we will really only entice players with a guaranteed first grade spot, which puts us in a difficult position.. as we are really wanting to replace some of the guys in reserve grade... rather than replacing our current 1st graders directly.

TheRev

First Grade

Rabbits will likely destroy the dogs.. I think we could have predicted any club being 0 and 3 if they had the rabbits draw to start the season... I do agree there are some issues with personalities in that club, but I think the Rabbits are a club that finishes between 6th and 8th.. possibly lower.. they arent in the form to beat the Top4 sides.. thats OK, it is only March... that might change over the next 6 months.

I do love JD, hes probably in over his head with Cody and Latrell though.. im not sure many coaches would survive those 2 if they go off the rails.. short of sacking 1 or both of them.. and managing the fallout. I would happily take JD over our last 3 coaches... but Flanno > JD for sure, been through it all before, rebuilt a club and won a premiership.. JD is probably 5-10yrs from his peak, if indeed he makes it.

Gardenia

Juniors
Souths will either bounce back with a vengeance next week or start a nosedive IMO. Like Saint Peter said though, having too many RGs in Firsts puts them on Shakey ground. I am predicting a nose dive.

Gardenia

Juniors
Hopefully that doesn't happen, I'm really enjoying the ride!

Rly interested to thee how the Dogs v Titans goes tomorrow also.. 2 more sides without a win.. feel like 1 of them is going to announce themselves.
Probably be the Titans

Gardenia

Juniors
Ok. It was a presentation from Andrew Lancaster (Chairman), Ryan Webb (CEO) & Flanno, MC was Jeremy Latimore. Ryan Webb did a brief presetation on the state of play re financials (very healthy) & high performance centre (plans with Council talking with preferred builder, expected to be completed end 2025). We are spending more on the development of juniors than most clubs in the NRL. Then they took questions, some of the highlights I remember are.
- Lancaster assurred everyone despite the press we have a unified Board & they work toward the same goal - future success
- Webb & then Flanno stated they have and are pushing the one club theme & creating the Dragons Way culture on & off the field. Flanno said he has & will continue to spend a lot of time on skills training which he said has not been pushed in the past (to his surprise) but it will take some time to come through, Talked about the players fitness & the fact they lost over 100kg in the off season.
- Flanno embarrassed about last weekend, players didnt follow the game plan & were flat. He said he cant explain why maybe it was a let down from the previous week & Dolphins played very well & played mistake free football but we let them play well & he stated it wont happen again !!
- When asked about Lomax confirmed he gave him premission to talk to other in the off season but nothing came of it. He repeated what was has been in the press he is in our bext 17 but at the moment his best position for the team is on the wing but that may change. A question from the floor commented that his passing ability is not up to standard but Flanno would not comment on specifics but to say he is working with Lomax to improve his game like all of the players. Lancaster said he is strong on players who sign contracts that they should be committed to the club for that period & is not a fan of players breaking contracts.
- Wants to play semi finals this year & believes he has the team to do so (in a far better position than when he took over the Sharks) if they perform & thats his job to get them to perform to their potential. Emphasised how many good juniors we have coming through (such as Egan & also some promising halves) but many are a couple of years off being ready for first grade but he knows he needs some players to strengthen some positions partucularly hooker and a big bopper up front. Said he was very confident of getting AFB but he decided that he was a better chance of winning a competition with the Sharks. Flanno then commented he was very foolish (words to that effect). Whilst there is no one specifically in the market place at the moment or have a contract up at the end of 2024 players become available for various reasons & we will be activly out there if someone becomes available.
- Overall very positive Flanno spoke well & with passion he doesnt like losing & will continue to work as hard as possible to change the players mentality & raise their performance levels to where he thinks they should be.

They were my main take outs, a very positive meeting, if another member was there & I missed any points please add to this.
Thank you so much for taking the time to write all of this out for us.

be55

Juniors
Dom young walked few times around the whole south backline.
Won't be the last opposition he does that to. He's an absolute superstar. The kid is as SPECIAL of a talent as they get. I'd just about chop something off to see him in red and white. 6 ft 7, lighting fast and built like a brick shithouse. He's only 22 and if he stays in league, because when he's off contract every club and code on the planet will be chasing him, he'll go down as one of the best wingers to ever play the game... Take it to the bank.

Parko1310

Juniors
Won't be the last opposition he does that to. He's an absolute superstar. The kid is as SPECIAL of a talent as they get. I'd just about chop something off to see him in red and white. 6 ft 7, lighting fast and built like a brick shithouse. He's only 22 and if he stays in league, because when he's off contract every club and code on the planet will be chasing him, he'll go down as one of the best wingers to ever play the game... Take it to the bank.
Agreed.. I said December 2022 we should be going hard for Dom Young now.. I didn't think Ravalawa was good enough and I still don't, he's completely one dimensional. The Roosters interest came about 2-3 months after. I think Young will be the best winger in the NRL in 3-4 years time. He has literally everything for a winger, a perfect player for the position. Speed, good in the air, can pass back on the inside after making a break, strong coming out of his own end, athletic and can finish well in the corner.

Alas, the club will continue to pretend Mika is good enough because he's strong and scores when close to the line. They'll ignore that he can't pass, has no step, isn't good in the air, is slow for the typical winger, and has at least an error a game in him. Sigh

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
He is traveling great on the wing because he has adopted a roving mission game plan. His involvement is incredible. The guy has to use this plan, because if he stayed on his flank he'd remain starved of the leather by our so called play makers. If Lomax is not rated in top 20 centres, this is the reason why. Will keep on this tack, if Lomax played with a strong pack and quality play makers/game managers he'd be rated in the top 5 centers.
Maybe - but it also has to do with the different roles of wingers and centres- centres are not normally catching high balls on the last tackle or being asked to run the ball back from a kick off when they have some open space in front of them. All teams more or less operate in a similar way.
I think Flanagan is conflicted- he is not convinced (nor am I) about Sloan in defence but wants to keep him there in attack. He may have to coopt Lomax into playing full-back when SGI are not in possession and move Sloan to the wing- not easy to do and so he is giving Sloan every chance to improve his high ball and tackle defence. Flanno is ensuring Sloan has two big strong metre eaters (Lomax and Rav) to support him to prevent him being rag-dolled as he (and Dufty before him) have that weakness in possession.
Lomax's role may become even messier in the weeks ahead as I doubt that Sloan can improve his defensive skills (which also includes reading the play better- he is always arriving late after the try has been scored). Lomax may end up at full-back. How would he feel about that- full backs get paid more!
One thing for sure- Lomax will be earning his money between now and then.

Dragon David

First Grade
Plus one big factor why he will be one of the best wingers is that he has an assistant coach at the Roosters who himself was one of the best and that is Brett Morris.