What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Black Panther

Juniors

I think that this has been on the cards for a while. It is hard to come to grips with how easy it was for JFH to get what he wanted from the Panthers. Because everything happened so quickly, I suspect that this has been going on for longer than what we would know. A player like JFH is not easy to replace but yet the Panthers let him go for no transfer fee, no like for like swap, just - "JFH we have given your request to go back to NZ and play with the Warriors some serious thought and because you did us proud in helping us win 3 premierships, we are happy to let you go for next year".

Simple and easy. The Warriors will be even a stronger force next year.

Has all this been agreed to by the NRL?
Panthers released JFH. Why would the NRL have to agree to anything? Pretty simple really, compassionate grounds, the bloke has been over here since he was 16 and had a sick family member.

TheRev

First Grade
The Warriors can probably get away with it given they are the only team in New Zealand.. and he is "Homesick" so he says, and home is in NZ.. but he should be asking for his release from the panthers first, and then clubs can engage and negotiate.... this one was clearly all pre-arranged prior to JFH having a release.

Hunt was a similar situation.. arguing he was homesick and had napkin deals lined up with the Broncos/Titans..

Lomax's wasnt about being homesick.. but still was being groomed by Daddy Arthur for months before he had his release.. they obviously spoke numbers also.

Tbh its all a puppet show anyway, I would say lets do away with the rule altogether (which is what kent was saying) but I suppose it atleast discourages the behaviour... I just wish we could move to a better/fairer system that doesnt let the strong clubs keep poaching the best talent..

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Kent was spot on in the end. Why have rules in place that will not be followed.

It's weird how nobody knew about this until yesterday? Maybe the journo's realised that rather than camp outside Saints all day, there are 16 other clubs that may have players looking for a release or moving to report on as well.

TheRev

First Grade
It's weird how nobody knew about this until yesterday? Maybe the journo's realised that rather than camp outside Saints all day, there are 16 other clubs that may have players looking for a release or moving to report on as well.
Possibly they have a journo permanently assigned to the club? And 2 journos if Hunt and Lomax are running hot in the same week.

Dragon David

First Grade
Panthers released JFH. Why would the NRL have to agree to anything? Pretty simple really, compassionate grounds, the bloke has been over here since he was 16 and had a sick family member.
I know that the Panthers agreed to release JFH like the Warriors agreed to release AFB based on compassionate grounds. But I question how this was done so speedily. When AFB requested his release on compassionate grounds from the Warriors they agreed to his request which enabled his manager to seek interests from Sydney clubs who could accommodate him within their salary cap and that was a fair arrangement. The other matter with JFH was explained by TheRev and Slippery Morris -
The Warriors can probably get away with it given they are the only team in New Zealand.. and he is "Homesick" so he says, and home is in NZ.. but he should be asking for his release from the panthers first, and then clubs can engage and negotiate.... this one was clearly all pre-arranged prior to JFH having a release.

Hunt was a similar situation.. arguing he was homesick and had napkin deals lined up with the Broncos/Titans..

Lomax's wasnt about being homesick.. but still was being groomed by Daddy Arthur for months before he had his release.. they obviously spoke numbers also.

Tbh its all a puppet show anyway, I would say lets do away with the rule altogether (which is what kent was saying) but I suppose it atleast discourages the behaviour... I just wish we could move to a better/fairer system that doesnt let the strong clubs keep poaching the best talent..
Kent was spot on in the end. Why have rules in place that will not be followed.

Dribble&Yarn

Juniors
I know that the Panthers agreed to release JFH like the Warriors agreed to release AFB based on compassionate grounds. But I question how this was done so speedily. When AFB requested his release on compassionate grounds from the Warriors they agreed to his request which enabled his manager to seek interests from Sydney clubs who could accommodate him within their salary cap and that was a fair arrangement. The other matter with JFH was explained by TheRev and Slippery Morris -
bit easier when JFH wanted to go back to NZ, there's only 1 team there

justadragon

Bench
Until the NRL instigate a Draft and a Trade period managed and run properly we are always going to be on the end of some really shit deals. And dont give me this rubbish about restriction of trade. All these closed door and underhanded deals screwing the lesser clubs over, I'm sick of it.

Until the NRL instigate a Draft and a Trade period managed and run properly we are always going to be on the end of some really shit deals. And dont give me this rubbish about restriction of trade. All these closed door and underhanded deals screwing the lesser clubs over, I'm sick of it.
I hear what you are saying Justa, but even if a draft and trade period was implemented in the NRL, due to the cut throat nature of the game, and all previous attempts being abused, it would be a draft and trade period in name only.
No club or CEO trusts anyone, that is why I believe it should be left as it is.
It never ever will be equitable to many in the game, especially the fans, but like many others, I learnt to accept it is just a part of the fabric of this game.

The Word

Juniors
But whose been screwed in the situation justa? Seems to me that both clubs and the player are ok with this happening, otherwise it wouldn't have happened.

We can only guess at Penrith's motivation. Maybe they have a ton of young players coming through in that position and they need to free up his salary to do that. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

The only thing we know for sure is that they said yes, and they didn't have to, so I can't see anyone being screwed here.

Shady_Flanno

Juniors
Yep too right Dave, replay the video and just swap JFH with Lomax, and exactly the same thing happened. I do have to agree with Kent on this one.
Warriors let go of Addin & Walsh in similar circumstances. Kent didn't want the integrity unit to investigate the Bronx or Sharks did he? Lol.... He just dislikes the Warriors. He also said the Warriors approached JFH. Bs, James talked to his club then approached the Wahs. Obviously they had the $ as Addin is leaving the club. Kent should never talk about integrity ever after what he did. Wank stain shouldn't have a job.

Btw, Disregard my user name. I've had it for years when he was at the Sharks. Who i absolutely can't stand(Sharks) Got love for the Dragons. Need to change it lol.

justadragon

Bench
But whose been screwed in the situation justa? Seems to me that both clubs and the player are ok with this happening, otherwise it wouldn't have happened.

We can only guess at Penrith's motivation. Maybe they have a ton of young players coming through in that position and they need to free up his salary to do that. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

The only thing we know for sure is that they said yes, and they didn't have to, so I can't see anyone being screwed here.
Yes I agree, I suppose its the whole transparency of not just this exchange but overall. Look at what happened with AFB it took months, Lomax months and a lot of heartache. And this gets done in 2 days. Yes you could say that the more elite clubs are better at it than we are. There is no transparency of what goes on, do you really believe that players stay at clubs for less money and their managers allow that. Ok we hear that players are there for a short time and they have to make the most of it, so we'll take 200 or 300 K$ less to win a premiership, please spare me this loyalty crap. All the managers do is shop their player around to extract more money from their current club with the threat of leaving if they dont cough up. In Luai's case it was too huge and Penrith had to let him go. Lets see what happens now with Turuva, Penrith wont match our offer but I reckon he stays there, there will be some bullshit excuse. Also when AFB was supposedly coming to us the warriors wanted compensation and other players, but guess what with the Sharks they asked for nothing, how does that work. There are a lot of things happening in player deals and you dont see three quarters of this stuff happening in the AFL world.

Dragon David

First Grade
Could Dane Gagai be a Rooster one day?

Also the Cowboys have added depth by signing Karl Lawton from the Sea Eagles for a couple of years from 2025.

I'm waiting for the Dragons to announce new signings for 2025 and beyond - hello is anyone at the Dragons working on recruitment at the moment?

Last edited:

Latest posts