What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

thebigredv

First Grade
Saints lose Lomax to bring in players as they have a huge wad of cash sitting in the cap to go out and recruit. Unfortunately nobody wants to come to Saints. What a huge stuff up letting go of Lomax with what appears to be no plan B to cover his loss.

I'm all for giving Flanagan sufficient time but you cannot convince me all is right when we haven't landed one signature for next season. You have to be getting in quick on these things. Plans for '25 and '26 need to be sewn up as we speak in the player market. Not a matter of being rash anymore. That excuse won't fly.

By now surely the coach has identified where that cap needs to be spent (add to that Lomax now which is another gaping hole) and needs to be getting our club the best players he can, something a little more convincing than a journeyman.

Publicising these did not turn out well for us but surely there's whispers of who we are after. I'd imagine we'd be sniffing out big Stefano Utoikamanu and keeping a close eye on him. You'd come in with an offer he can't refuse.

Urgency is required here.

barry

Juniors
All I know is a good back was available for a reasonable price, from a reputable club and we have just lost our best back.

I am not saying we don't need a prop and a hooker and what have you. I say we need to get a winger/fullback to the club asap.

Tell me you first 5 for next year?

1. Sloan - question marks but hope he learns positioning. Allan maybe as back up.
2. Tuipolotu - fringe
3. Suli
4. Bird - past it, one dimensional player
5. Ravalawa

We are asking to be beat.

Forwards are not our only problem.
Roosters won that game yesterday on the back of their forwards

We got smashed, roosters backs can not do what they did yesterday without the play of the forwards

Das Hassler

Bench
Turuva is a highly regarded FB playing on the wing at the premiers because they already have a gun FB...at the Tigers he'll be a backup for Bulla and may well join Olam in the centres ...I'm sure the eels haven't agonized too much about paying overs for a current "winger" with the lomax signing. Versatility has value

barry

Juniors
8. Molo - Goes Ok
9. Liddle - Don’t think he can handle the top sides
10. Sele - Goes Ok
11. Sua - Gun
12. Luc - Gun
13. Huth - Goes good

14. Lawrie - Got heart, absolute gentleman but not first grade standard
15. JDB - can get the job done
16. BMM - been a suprise this year, playing good off the bench.

The rest RFM, M Molo etc basic first graders at best.

We need a gun hooker, AFB was a big miss

offiah

Juniors
Turuva was a big miss in my opinion. Killed it at FB at the World Cup and is a good winger. Much better than the players we have and anything else on the market for next year.

There really isn’t any quality in any position left for next year. We’re going to have to get creative and hope we can improve things this year so we can attract some big signings for 2026.

St Tangles

Bench
Turuva was a big miss in my opinion. Killed it at FB at the World Cup and is a good winger. Much better than the players we have and anything else on the market for next year.

There really isn’t any quality in any position left for next year. We’re going to have to get creative and hope we can improve things this year so we can attract some big signings for 2026.

It's a depressing read the off contract player list

since77

Juniors
Yes Barry

I keep hearing this. My point is we need backs AS WELL. We don't need to sign 3 props.

Do people actually read before they fire off random comments?
Sorry its you who are missing the point. So I'll help you.
Let's do a little thought experiment.
Let's say magically before the Roosters game we sign Turuva, this supposed marquee signing you're crying and moaning about missing out on. If he slots in to our backline - you pick the position you want him to play in - fullback, wing, centre - does the score against the Roosters change on Anzac Day? No, of course not. It stays about 60 -18, give or take a try or two either way.
Now let's say on Anzac day due to another piece of magic, we're allowed to pick any 2 of the NRL's best 10 front rowers to play for us. Does the dynamic of that game change? Yes of course it does.
Backs are a minor issue compared to the glaring weaknesses in our front row, . We need as our number one priority, big, menacing, powerful front rowers. Once we get that sorted out, sure let's improve the backline. Turuva or anyone of his quality changes absolutely nothing for us without fixing the forwards first.

thebigredv

First Grade
Sorry its you who are missing the point. So I'll help you.
Let's do a little thought experiment.
Let's say magically before the Roosters game we sign Turuva, this supposed marquee signing you're crying and moaning about missing out on. If he slots in to our backline - you pick the position you want him to play in - fullback, wing, centre - does the score against the Roosters change on Anzac Day? No, of course not. It stays about 60 -18, give or take a try or two either way.
Now let's say on Anzac day due to another piece of magic, we're allowed to pick any 2 of the NRL's best 10 front rowers to play for us. Does the dynamic of that game change? Yes of course it does.
Backs are a minor issue compared to the glaring weaknesses in our front row, . We need as our number one priority, big, menacing, powerful front rowers. Once we get that sorted out, sure let's improve the backline. Turuva or anyone of his quality changes absolutely nothing for us without fixing the forwards first.
There's a lot of pent up anger in here since the drubbing.
A great mix of hilarity mixed with sadness.

Personally I don't want great forwards and useless backs or brilliant backs and lousy forwards. I would like to see my club spend some of its near $2 mil on bringing in a bit of both, but according to you we are not allowed to.

And the best bit is we will probably get neither so we can all get shirty with each other for many seasons to come.

Parko1310

Juniors
Unfortunately, we've missed the boat again, they are just useless this bunch. Get Ben Haran away from a high profile position for starters. Can you believe we have a head of football who has openly admitted to not knowing football because he didn't watch or know anything about it being from Melbourne? That is ludicrous. This is a first grade f**king rugby league club, how in the world do you have someone who doesn't know football as the head of FOOTBALL.

I agree we need middles over all else. Unfortunately for us, there is f**k all on the market. There is only three middles I'd consider that are still off contract, none of which are game breakers, but:

Trey Mooney (Raiders), Jack Williams (Sharks), Jazz Tevaga (Warriors)

All of these guys upgrade our side, albeit no where near enough. Could argue Angus Crichton could start on an edge and then become a middle for us mid-game, but I highly doubt we'll be getting him anyway so it's probably not even worth a discussion.

Outside backs, really slim pickings again:

Reimis Smith (Storm), even this is extremely uninspiring.

Halves:

Toby Sexton (Bulldogs). Reportedly killing it in reserves, lets be honest Kyle Flanagan is a short-term stop-gap, not good enough for week to week NRL. Sexton plays a similar style at a higher level, so why would we not upgrade a position where we can? At worst you sign Sexton for 2 years, upgrade your halves, and if someone better comes along sign them and have Sexton as a back-up. You could do way worse than that. I just hope the plan is not to have Kyle in the 17 every week long-term. He's a fine backup and nothing more.

Unfortunately, we've missed the boat again, they are just useless this bunch. Get Ben Haran away from a high profile position for starters. Can you believe we have a head of football who has openly admitted to not knowing football because he didn't watch or know anything about it being from Melbourne? That is ludicrous. This is a first grade f**king rugby league club, how in the world do you have someone who doesn't know football as the head of FOOTBALL.

I agree we need middles over all else. Unfortunately for us, there is f**k all on the market. There is only three middles I'd consider that are still off contract, none of which are game breakers, but:

All of these guys upgrade our side, albeit no where near enough. Could argue Angus Crichton could start on an edge and then become a middle for us mid-game, but I highly doubt we'll be getting him anyway so it's probably not even worth a discussion.

Halves:

Toby Sexton (Bulldogs). Reportedly killing it in reserves, lets be honest Kyle Flanagan is a short-term stop-gap, not good enough for week to week NRL. Sexton plays a similar style at a higher level, so why would we not upgrade a position where we can? At worst you sign Sexton for 2 years, upgrade your halves, and if someone better comes along sign them and have Sexton as a back-up. You could do way worse than that. I just hope the plan is not to have Kyle in the 17 every week long-term. He's a fine backup and nothing more.
Ben Haran does know football. It's Ryan Webb who doesn't, but he's just CEO.

You'll have to ask Kyle's father about his plans for Kyle in the top 17.

since77

Juniors

Halves:

Toby Sexton???!!!???!?!!?
Geez. What a deadset dud. Couldn't hold down a starting spot at the TITANS and can't get on the field in front of Drew Hutchinson. No thanks.

Don't understand the all Kyle F hate I've been seeing after the last game. 5/8 wasn't the problem against the Roosters.

Parko1310

Juniors
Ben Haran does know football. It's Ryan Webb who doesn't, but he's just CEO.

You'll have to ask Kyle's father about his plans for Kyle in the top 17.
Ben Haran is quoted as saying he does not know football and only learnt about it when he was at the storm. There's only so much you can learn if you are not heavily invested in the sport and its pretty clear he's got zero idea what's going on.

Parko1310

Juniors
Toby Sexton???!!!???!?!!?
Geez. What a deadset dud. Couldn't hold down a starting spot at the TITANS and can't get on the field in front of Drew Hutchinson. No thanks.

Don't understand the all Kyle F hate I've been seeing after the last game. 5/8 wasn't the problem against the Roosters.
Sexton is young and I'm not presenting him as a long-term solution, but at his best he could be, and at worst we've got an upgrade. There are zero options in the halves on the market, and so I think we have to tweak and improve the squad where we can. Sexton is better than Flanagan. The Titans choosing Tannah Boyd over Sexton was a massive oversight. Hutchison should not be getting picked in front of him either. Kyle has been nothing more than okay in my opinion, and in this current team that's fine and all we really need from him. He doesn't have another gear in him though, he's a deadset reserve grader filling a spot. In your view, is Kyle a starting 6 or 7 in a team that wins the comp? I don't think so. Longer term, the vision should be Kyle as reserve grade backup half/hooker