What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

It's hard to keep up with all the proposals.

All I know is the two Joint Ventures have won the comp in 2005 and 2010.
Some non Joint Venture clubs - Parramatta haven't won in 37 years, Canberra not much better, Titans - NEVER, Bulldogs and Newcastle longer than Saints.

I think we are just dividing ourselves when we talk about reverting to the Dragons as "stand alone". I wasn't happy with the merger but it is what it is and it aint gunna change. We are just making excuses.

We need a board pulling together with the one singular goal - becoming a force in the NRL. f**k off all the divisional politics, stop the bloody compromising, have better/fairer BOD voting, maximum terms, a bi-partisan chairman with casting vote who has a longer tenure than currently. Invest heavily in junior pathways in both areas especially in regards to opportunity & love of the club.

All BOD should be accountable for the coach they appoint and support him 100%.

I'll leave it at that as I could go on forever. I just think we all need to support the joint venture and turn the perceived negatives to club "Dragons" advantages.

Dragon David

First Grade
According to Webb, they turned a profit last year so the commercial turnaround has at least started. If I was the State Government, I wouldn't be giving any money to a professional sporting club, particularly an unprofitable one. It's just throwing away money they should be spending on schools and hospitals and so on. If I was a billionaire, I might give them something but I'd be telling them they're a business, not a charity and they need to stand on their own two feet.
Exactly Johnno.

It makes me think that the merged club is being run by imbeciles and boofheads with absolutely no idea as to how to make a club successful and sustainable with good futures.

The business world would be shaking their heads in wonderment as to how the bloody hell we still exist.

Dragonslayer

First Grade

Dragon David

First Grade
I would get JD back as an assistant coach next year. He's a good coach, let down by his players and their egos at Souths, imo. I dont know if Carr or Wolfe will be with us in '25
Agreed with you Dragonslayer on this. Unfortunately, JD has suffered what many other coaches have who take over from Bennett. If Souths do in fact get Bennett back, that is no guarantee of them being premiership winners. He tried it when he left the Knights to go back to the Broncos and while he managed to get Souths to the G/F in 2021 he didn't win. He certainly can get a team to play finals footy but I doubt him winning another premiership.

I really think that Bennett needs time away from the game to recharge his ageing battery. Don't get me wrong, he still is very capable as a head coach and one year he could do it again. It's just my thoughts.

denis preston

First Grade
Whenever I hear reference to ‘the Penrith system’ I recall what St George used to be (I’m talking 40+ years ago) and reflect sadly that Penrith is just doing what the Dragons had done for decades. It’s not rocket science. Develop and cultivate really deep roots in the community and train and develop talented young guys (and girls) with genuine respect.
Or have A big chequebook for recruitment to buy Goodwin, Reddy.Young, Johnson, Johnstone, Morris, Rogers,Wynn,Trudgett, Snoz,Blacklock etc etc !

steerlerbab

Juniors
Agreed with you Dragonslayer on this. Unfortunately, JD has suffered what many other coaches have who take over from Bennett. If Souths do in fact get Bennett back, that is no guarantee of them being premiership winners. He tried it when he left the Knights to go back to the Broncos and while he managed to get Souths to the G/F in 2021 he didn't win. He certainly can get a team to play finals footy but I doubt him winning another premiership.

I really think that Bennett needs time away from the game to recharge his ageing battery. Don't get me wrong, he still is very capable as a head coach and one year he could do it again. It's just my thoughts.
Under Wayne, South can make the finals but to win Wayne would need a top half or 5/8. Cody will be 35 next year and age seems has caught up with him. Ilias promised a lot like Bud but did not deliver and the new guy they will be getting from England is unproven in NRL.

Anyway, I hear Ilias is given permission to negotiate. I think we should go for him. One reason for him not developing in South was because he was surrounded by marquees like Cody, Latrell, Cook and Cameron. So he could never call the shots. In our team and with Ben retiring 2026, he can start owning the team and calling the shots and for 2025 he can be our number 14.

BLM01

First Grade

since77

Juniors

Nah I'd much prefer it if the last time he tasted premiership success will always be here at the Dragons.

Latest posts