What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

saintmar

Juniors
Players don’t come to the Dragons because we not got the football club staff to support Flanno who have a rapport with agents in getting the deals over the line
I refer you all back to when Doust and Young were running recruiting
Same deal negotiating skills 1/10
Flanno would have to fly almost solo ATM but has other obvious priorities to sort
Yeah like resigning Bird and Hunt

TheRev

First Grade
Flannos has 2 other priorities that I recall him mentioning, he still wants that big prop (I suspect it wont me a marquee as itll be too hard to land), and 1 replacement for Lomax.. that one I think should be a marquee.. Holmes or Blaize I think would be his first targets, but Centres arent all that rare... he should be able to find someone.

Bird is useful as depth.. the only risk is that Top30 spot could have been used for Buchanan for example.. it could mean that we let go of Max Feagai instead.

denis preston

First Grade
The Illawarra was always a nursery and that is all it ever was.

The best players nurtured in that area always left to go to other clubs to seek their fame and fortune and the lesser players stayed and played in the local coal comp.

In 1982 The Steelers are formed and they fold 17 years later so ask yourself why did that happen if the place is football mad and a sensational place to live?

The Steeler's were a 1 location club and the players didn't have to commute to train yet they couldn't keep the best of it's locals nor could it attract any serious quality from other clubs to enjoy the so called "lifestyle benefits" of Wollongong.

So that being the case how does adding a significant commute enhance the chances of signing quality players with their 10 year careers in front of them?
Simple really, Money. Illawarra only existed due to ARL handouts and lost a lot of juniors & players to wealthier clubs in Sydney. That and small time management.

mightydragon

Juniors
Flannos has 2 other priorities that I recall him mentioning, he still wants that big prop (I suspect it wont me a marquee as itll be too hard to land), and 1 replacement for Lomax.. that one I think should be a marquee.. Holmes or Blaize I think would be his first targets, but Centres arent all that rare... he should be able to find someone.

Bird is useful as depth.. the only risk is that Top30 spot could have been used for Buchanan for example.. it could mean that we let go of Max Feagai instead.
Corey Allan is on the books next year as well

SnowDragon

Juniors
I really enjoyed watching big Loko power thru the opposition at times. He is just a beast and exactly the point of difference we are missing in our pack. Sure, he needs time to grow into the role, but I’m excited.

that said, he is far from complete. He looked lost in the beginning in particular, and seemed lazy because of it. He seemed to drift in and out.

I want him to work on fitness and his engine, as well as ball skills. It’s not like I’m asking him to be an 80minute cam McInnes style player, the whole point is to have a game changing enforcer type, but he needs to boost evolvement. Part of this is solved by those around him bringing him in, but a lot will come down to Flanno and the team inspiring him to reach his potential.

BLM01

First Grade
I really enjoyed watching big Loko power thru the opposition at times. He is just a beast and exactly the point of difference we are missing in our pack. Sure, he needs time to grow into the role, but I’m excited.

that said, he is far from complete. He looked lost in the beginning in particular, and seemed lazy because of it. He seemed to drift in and out.

I want him to work on fitness and his engine, as well as ball skills. It’s not like I’m asking him to be an 80minute cam McInnes style player, the whole point is to have a game changing enforcer type, but he needs to boost evolvement. Part of this is solved by those around him bringing him in, but a lot will come down to Flanno and the team inspiring him to reach his potential.
It sounds like you are judging him with NRL player expectations now and forgetting his age and level. :D
I feel the hope we all have, but supporters need to keep perspective...not every U19's origin player will play NRL or even make it to reggies. We saw a great SG ball side this year and watching some youth from other grades look the goods..but
Prime example Tamale (slight bit older). He looks like a young RTS with the ball in hand from fullback with his step and evasion. He may or may not go to that level. If he does become the next RTS then we will be cursing the club :)

I still see some forum members cursing our club letting Cookie go as a young guy playing wing? They forget he came to us from Penrith first playing lower grades from Helensburgh. Who saw him as a great hooker?
What about the Warriors letting Walsh go. That is just as bad as us letting BMoz go.

Last edited:

SnowDragon

Juniors
It sounds like you are judging him with NRL player expectations now and forgetting his age and level. :D
I feel the hope we all have, but supporters need to keep perspective...not every U19's origin player will play NRL or even make it to reggies. We saw a great SG ball side this year and watching some youth from other grades look the goods..but
Prime example Tamale (slight bit older). He looks like a young RTS with the ball in hand from fullback with his step and evasion. He may or may not go to that level. If he does become the next RTS then we will be cursing the club :)
I get your comments and in part correct. However, I was comparing to the other forwards in the game as well as Reggie’s and 1st grade. (He was better in the grand final game v doggies btw)

Clearly (imho) he will be found out in 1st grade atm, but he can develop the things he lacks, and his positives are unreachable. I’m super positive even if I know he could end up being like Ivan dragonwho we swapped for billy burns…

TheRev

First Grade
o I think Tonga will be tested soon against men closer to his own size, that will be the challenge for him.. hopefully that knee which is constantly bandaged up can handle it because I think he needs that little bit of lateral movement in his game versus the dogs bloke Seve who looks heavier and thicker and just runs through the line like an iceberg.

o Halangahu is much smaller, but clearly very talented and strong, im not sure what they are going to do with Egan, NickT and Halangahu, I reckon maybe Halangahu can stay in Flegg a while longer as the smaller/younger of the 3, and come up via injury if needed. We need to get rid of atleast 1 of Shereb & Russell asap imo, NickT shouldnt be in flegg.

o Buchanan, I know small centres like the pearl have made it in the game, but its pretty rare thesedays.. he isnt lightning but hes pretty damn quick.. he seems to be very good at creating space for his winger (something we arent used too at our club), he runs pretty hard lines as we saw last night.. im just nervous that with his size, he might need an extra year or 2 before he can handle bigger and faster defences.. if he had a bigger body he could prob move up faster.. but anyway, def a good kid, and looking forward to seeing him play in nsw cup...

justadragon

Bench
o I think Tonga will be tested soon against men closer to his own size, that will be the challenge for him.. hopefully that knee which is constantly bandaged up can handle it because I think he needs that little bit of lateral movement in his game versus the dogs bloke Seve who looks heavier and thicker and just runs through the line like an iceberg.

o Halangahu is much smaller, but clearly very talented and strong, im not sure what they are going to do with Egan, NickT and Halangahu, I reckon maybe Halangahu can stay in Flegg a while longer as the smaller/younger of the 3, and come up via injury if needed. We need to get rid of atleast 1 of Shereb & Russell asap imo, NickT shouldnt be in flegg.

o Buchanan, I know small centres like the pearl have made it in the game, but its pretty rare thesedays.. he isnt lightning but hes pretty damn quick.. he seems to be very good at creating space for his winger (something we arent used too at our club), he runs pretty hard lines as we saw last night.. im just nervous that with his size, he might need an extra year or 2 before he can handle bigger and faster defences.. if he had a bigger body he could prob move up faster.. but anyway, def a good kid, and looking forward to seeing him play in nsw cup...
Rev I think Halangahu is well suited to what we need, strong fearless and can tackle with lots of PCM's, I worry about Buchanan as well , we didnt really see much of what he can do in attack, but I have seen him in ressies and he goes ok, when you have centres the size of Suli etc that may pose a problem, I wish him all the best. As for Tonga well developing into a Prop as a youngster will take a lot of time and a lot of effort on his belhalf as well, I dont think we will see him in top grade for a couple of years, even if he makes it at all. For now though these kids should just be allowed to enjoy their footy and think that it is fun to play, without worrying about how they will come into the NRL side and fix all their issues. One thing that I will mention though, and these are just my thoughts, I dont like standing over a player after you have made a good tackle or dragged him over the sideline and abusing him as the player is laying there, from either side. To me it's against the spirit of the game and lacks sportsmanship, I dont know where its coming from but I see it occurring more often throughout all grades. I understand there is rivalry and banter between the players during a game but abusing a player after you have cut them in half with a great tackle, to me there is something wrong with that, just accept the congrats from your teammates and move on.

JubileeJeffro

Juniors

I think the question for Buchanan is where does he play to make it in NRL.
At 178cms, I don’t think it’s centre.
I sense he may need to become a fullback or a hooker. He played juniors in the forwards, so perhaps a 9 could be the way to look at it.