What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Dragon David

First Grade
To me it seems crazy that we have known Lomax to want out for some months and we know that he will be playing for the Eels next year and we still haven't been able to secure a like replacement or someone who is decent enough. We have Max Feagai at the moment but he is only filling in and isn't really a like for like.

The Roosters are after centre replacements for Manu and Suaalii as well so getting that "decent enough" replacement will be tougher than what was envisaged when the Dragons decided to let Lomax break his deal with us.

I have my doubts that we will land Talagi and more chance that he will stay at the Eels even though Lomax will be there.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
Flano seemed very bullish on Allan when discussing his pre season prior to the ACL. I realise that Allan is probably Plan B but.........given that our style of play is fairly heavy kicking from our right side and bombing into the oppositions left corner - I wonder if we have hopes for Allan as a right side winger?

Aerially he is good Allan, but not as dominant in attack aerially as Lomax at 190cm tall.
Quicker that Lomax. A better step.
We will miss the hitups from Zac though.........his all run metres have been elite this season.

Or Rava right and ? on the left?

Crush

Coach
Flano seemed very bullish on Allan when discussing his pre season prior to the ACL. I realise that Allan is probably Plan B but.........given that our style of play is fairly heavy kicking from our right side and bombing into the oppositions left corner - I wonder if we have hopes for Allan as a right side winger?

Aerially he is good Allan, but not as dominant in attack aerially as Lomax at 190cm tall.
Quicker that Lomax. A better step.
We will miss the hitups from Zac though.........his all run metres have been elite this season.

Or Rava right and ? on the left?
I think Allan will be one of the starting wingers next year. Doubt Rava gets back, his game is too limited, can’t have a slow winger that can’t defend and has suspect hands. If he was just slow but had solid defence then maybe he’s OK but Rava has a few things against him.
Who plays on the other wing? Dunno, hopefully someone with speed, we are a very slow football team.

hewi

Bench
Hope he gets the job and takes Bird with him.

Dean Young emerges as shock contender for Eels coaching job​

Adrian Proszenko

By Adrian Proszenko

June 22, 2024 — 5.00am

Dean Young has rocketed into calculations for the Parramatta coaching job, armed with a glowing endorsement from the man the Eels originally attempted to headhunt, Wayne Bennett.
The bid to succeed Brad Arthur was widely considered a race in two between Josh Hannay and Jason Ryles, given that interim Trent Barrett is likely to be overlooked. However, sources not authorised to speak publicly have told this masthead that the club granted Young – currently an assistant to Shane Flanagan at St George Illawarra – a second interview. Young has informed the Dragons of his interest in the position.

https://archive.md/RgKht#

Young has impressed Parramatta powerbrokers with the way he has discreetly made his pitch. Young will now continue through the application process with the heavyweight support of Bennett, the Eels’ initial target.
The seven-time premiership-winning coach, who knocked back the Eels to rejoin South Sydney, has a long association with Young. The pair combined at St George Illawarra as player and coach to steer the joint-venture outfit to its only premiership, in 2010.

“You can’t coach if you can’t lead. He ticks that box,” Bennett told this masthead. “He’s an outstanding person. Simple as that. When you go through all the details of what makes someone outstanding, that’s what he is.
“The best part is Dean actually wants to do it, he’s applied for the job. It’s not about what I think. He obviously thinks he can do it and I know Dean Young well enough to know he wouldn’t have applied for the job if he didn’t have the qualifications and the ability to do it.
Dean Young is a contender to take over at Parramatta.

Dean Young is a contender to take over at Parramatta.CREDIT: GETTY
“Those champion players, they don’t like failure, no matter what they do. He’s in one of those categories. He’s doesn’t do failure. One thing about Dean, he doesn’t talk it. He lives it. That separates him from a lot of people.”
In a pointer to Bennett’s regard for Young, the seven-time premiership-winning mentor has previously attempted to employ him as an assistant at the Rabbitohs and Dolphins. Instead, Young’s coaching CV includes two stints at the Dragons, three years under Todd Payten in North Queensland, as well as roles with Tonga and the Indigenous All Stars.

“I wouldn’t have tried to hire him if I didn’t think he could handle [NRL head coaching],” Bennett said. “I know he is one of the most outstanding players I’ve ever coached, someone I regard as a very close friend. You have to remember that guy played with half a leg, with one leg.
“He got staph in it and couldn’t train most of the time. He was an absolutely outstanding leader. Ben Hornby, they were great friends and still are great friends.
“I know Dean Young well enough to know he wouldn’t have applied for the job if he didn’t have the qualifications and the ability to do it.”
Wayne Bennett on Dean Young
“Between those two guys, they were great for me personally during my three years at the Dragons. I’m quite sure he is capable. [Laughing] He coached the Dragons pretty well when I was there. Ben Hornby is in the same category.”
Also competing for the Parramatta role is former Roosters assistant Ryles, who knocked back the Dragons job to complete his coaching apprenticeship under Craig Bellamy at Melbourne. Hannay, currently the assistant to Billy Slater at the Maroons, has held interim head-coaching roles at Cronulla and North Queensland.

“With the exception of [former South Sydney coach] Jason Demetriou, who was in the mix [at Parramatta], they are all assistant coaches,” Bennett said.
“No one has more qualifications than Dean in that department. That’s the challenge for the people selecting it, they have all been assistant coaches. It’s not my prerogative to make their decision for them.
Dean Young and Wayne Bennett after their grand final win at the Dragons in 2010.

Dean Young and Wayne Bennett after their grand final win at the Dragons in 2010.CREDIT: GETTY
“They have to make a decision on who they think is the best person to coach their club. If it’s Dean, I would be absolutely elated for him. If it’s the other guys, I’d be pleased for them.”
Bennett said he could envision the day he would go up against Young in the opposition coaching box.

“I know Dean: I’d want to win and he’d want to win,” he said. “We would still be great friends after it. There would be no stupidity in the game or trying to get one up on each other, neither of us are made of that stuff. That’s one of the qualities I love about him.”
While Bennett knocked back the Eels, he was full of admiration for the western Sydney franchise.
“It’s a wonderful club, it was the club of the ’80s,” he said. “It’s had some success over its time and they have had some lean years. They’re a bit like the Dragons, they didn’t win a premiership for a long time until Dean played in that premiership team.
“Those clubs have been through the Super League war, the reduction of teams, all of that type of stuff. They have survived and are stronger than they have ever been. It’s a credit to them, there’s nothing there you wouldn’t want to coach

Dragon David

First Grade
A massive positive reference from Bennett on Young. I must admit that Bennett would have strong bonds with both Young and Hornby and will have long lasting friendships with them.

I think that Young could do pretty good at the Eels and with Bennett's endorsement might be a factor on who will get the gig.

since77

Juniors
When Bennett recomends a coach run for the hills, his record is 0%. How would you mark Youngs performance at the Dragons in his area of expertise, defence ?
I'm intrigued with the narrative that our defence is bad just because Young is defence coach. Our defence has been rubbish since Bennett left, just in varying degrees. Some years its been bad, some years its been terrible. It's never been anywhere near good since 2009-11.
To me our defensive structures this year don't seem bad, especially compared to the rubbish dished up last year. However some of the defensive efforts put in by certain players certainly are bad. This would suggest to me that some of the players are not capable of executing the plans.
This is not meant to be a defence of Young but a suggestion that maybe the roster isn't capable of playing at the standard required..

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
To me it seems crazy that we have known Lomax to want out for some months and we know that he will be playing for the Eels next year and we still haven't been able to secure a like replacement or someone who is decent enough. We have Max Feagai at the moment but he is only filling in and isn't really a like for like.

The Roosters are after centre replacements for Manu and Suaalii as well so getting that "decent enough" replacement will be tougher than what was envisaged when the Dragons decided to let Lomax break his deal with us.

I have my doubts that we will land Talagi and more chance that he will stay at the Eels even though Lomax will be there.
Another body blow as well DD- apparently Rugby's Jordan Petaia who the club at one point had on its radar and I saw as a possible like for like replacement for Lomax, apart from experiencing a serious shoulder injury, is now wanting to test himself in the NFL. Talents like Lomax are generational and while Jack Bostock is now establishing himself with the Dolphins, I would not see him, as some do, as the "one who got away" and the natural replacement for Lomax.

In regards to Talagi, I don't even know what his best position is- probably he doesn't know himself. It seems strange that we've let so many good attacking players go (Dufty, Field, Schiller and probably Tamale) because of defensive deficiencies, but we're about to dive in for another player who has the same problem!!

Max Feagai imo, is not even as good as his brother- and he's limited as well. Neither are long-term NRL players and we were right to try and shop them at the beginning of the season. The deafening silence that followed that shopping says it all.

Dragon David

First Grade
Another body blow as well DD- apparently Rugby's Jordan Petaia who the club at one point had on its radar and I saw as a possible like for like replacement for Lomax, apart from experiencing a serious shoulder injury, is now wanting to test himself in the NFL. Talents like Lomax are generational and while Jack Bostock is now establishing himself with the Dolphins, I would not see him, as some do, as the "one who got away" and the natural replacement for Lomax.

In regards to Talagi, I don't even know what his best position is- probably he doesn't know himself. It seems strange that we've let so many good attacking players go (Dufty, Field, Schiller and probably Tamale) because of defensive deficiencies, but we're about to dive in for another player who has the same problem!!

Max Feagai imo, is not even as good as his brother- and he's limited as well. Neither are long-term NRL players and we were right to try and shop them at the beginning of the season. The deafening silence that followed that shopping says it all.
I know that Flanno knows what he needs to improve our squad - even we know, well most do anyway.

I'm not one to say we should go for this player or that player because there are so many traits that players differ on and any players who have all the right traits we won't be able to get because of our poor signing history on many counts (coaches, recruitment gurus, players).

Getting the next best things is what we are faced with so, if they lack in some aspects we have just got to try and improve any new bods. Going from what Ryan Webb has said, the club is finding difficulty in recruitment and therefore they have to just get improvement with the crop we have (the best of that is) and develop the best youngsters who are deserved to get special attention knowing we cannot keep them all.

We need to get this bloody Centre of Excellence up and running in the next year or so (well as soon as the DA can be approved and the job to build it can get started quickly). All positives about the club have to be blown out of proportion to make us look so much better than what we are. Make it a club to be very proud of.

Our Administration must not let this club down - build it back up please.

justadragon

Bench
Hope he gets the job and takes Bird with him.

Dean Young emerges as shock contender for Eels coaching job​

Adrian Proszenko

By Adrian Proszenko

June 22, 2024 — 5.00am

Dean Young has rocketed into calculations for the Parramatta coaching job, armed with a glowing endorsement from the man the Eels originally attempted to headhunt, Wayne Bennett.
The bid to succeed Brad Arthur was widely considered a race in two between Josh Hannay and Jason Ryles, given that interim Trent Barrett is likely to be overlooked. However, sources not authorised to speak publicly have told this masthead that the club granted Young – currently an assistant to Shane Flanagan at St George Illawarra – a second interview. Young has informed the Dragons of his interest in the position.

https://archive.md/RgKht#

Young has impressed Parramatta powerbrokers with the way he has discreetly made his pitch. Young will now continue through the application process with the heavyweight support of Bennett, the Eels’ initial target.
The seven-time premiership-winning coach, who knocked back the Eels to rejoin South Sydney, has a long association with Young. The pair combined at St George Illawarra as player and coach to steer the joint-venture outfit to its only premiership, in 2010.

“You can’t coach if you can’t lead. He ticks that box,” Bennett told this masthead. “He’s an outstanding person. Simple as that. When you go through all the details of what makes someone outstanding, that’s what he is.
“The best part is Dean actually wants to do it, he’s applied for the job. It’s not about what I think. He obviously thinks he can do it and I know Dean Young well enough to know he wouldn’t have applied for the job if he didn’t have the qualifications and the ability to do it.
Dean Young is a contender to take over at Parramatta.

Dean Young is a contender to take over at Parramatta.CREDIT: GETTY
“Those champion players, they don’t like failure, no matter what they do. He’s in one of those categories. He’s doesn’t do failure. One thing about Dean, he doesn’t talk it. He lives it. That separates him from a lot of people.”
In a pointer to Bennett’s regard for Young, the seven-time premiership-winning mentor has previously attempted to employ him as an assistant at the Rabbitohs and Dolphins. Instead, Young’s coaching CV includes two stints at the Dragons, three years under Todd Payten in North Queensland, as well as roles with Tonga and the Indigenous All Stars.

“I wouldn’t have tried to hire him if I didn’t think he could handle [NRL head coaching],” Bennett said. “I know he is one of the most outstanding players I’ve ever coached, someone I regard as a very close friend. You have to remember that guy played with half a leg, with one leg.
“He got staph in it and couldn’t train most of the time. He was an absolutely outstanding leader. Ben Hornby, they were great friends and still are great friends.

“Between those two guys, they were great for me personally during my three years at the Dragons. I’m quite sure he is capable. [Laughing] He coached the Dragons pretty well when I was there. Ben Hornby is in the same category.”
Also competing for the Parramatta role is former Roosters assistant Ryles, who knocked back the Dragons job to complete his coaching apprenticeship under Craig Bellamy at Melbourne. Hannay, currently the assistant to Billy Slater at the Maroons, has held interim head-coaching roles at Cronulla and North Queensland.

“With the exception of [former South Sydney coach] Jason Demetriou, who was in the mix [at Parramatta], they are all assistant coaches,” Bennett said.
“No one has more qualifications than Dean in that department. That’s the challenge for the people selecting it, they have all been assistant coaches. It’s not my prerogative to make their decision for them.
Dean Young and Wayne Bennett after their grand final win at the Dragons in 2010.

Dean Young and Wayne Bennett after their grand final win at the Dragons in 2010.CREDIT: GETTY
“They have to make a decision on who they think is the best person to coach their club. If it’s Dean, I would be absolutely elated for him. If it’s the other guys, I’d be pleased for them.”
Bennett said he could envision the day he would go up against Young in the opposition coaching box.

“I know Dean: I’d want to win and he’d want to win,” he said. “We would still be great friends after it. There would be no stupidity in the game or trying to get one up on each other, neither of us are made of that stuff. That’s one of the qualities I love about him.”
While Bennett knocked back the Eels, he was full of admiration for the western Sydney franchise.
“It’s a wonderful club, it was the club of the ’80s,” he said. “It’s had some success over its time and they have had some lean years. They’re a bit like the Dragons, they didn’t win a premiership for a long time until Dean played in that premiership team.
“Those clubs have been through the Super League war, the reduction of teams, all of that type of stuff. They have survived and are stronger than they have ever been. It’s a credit to them, there’s nothing there you wouldn’t want to coach
Best thing Wayne has done for us since winning the comp

Latest posts