What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

justadragon

Bench
I think the question for Buchanan is where does he play to make it in NRL.
At 178cms, I don’t think it’s centre.
I sense he may need to become a fullback or a hooker. He played juniors in the forwards, so perhaps a 9 could be the way to look at it.
He has got decent ball skills, so maybe even a 6, dont know, its a tough one. TPH I think will also have the same issues, but he is absolutely fearless.

Parko1310

Juniors
You don't need to be particularly tall to play centre, not sure where that's come from. Hayden is a great prospect, good footwork, stronger than he looks and best of all clearly a great attitude. He played that game underage, like Halangahu did. He also played schoolboys underage. He'll be fine with that attitude, just needs to put a bit of size on which will come with getting older

denis preston

First Grade
He has got decent ball skills, so maybe even a 6, dont know, its a tough one. TPH I think will also have the same issues, but he is absolutely fearless.
For me , size is a big issue when you at 5.10 and considered small. Bloody hell Raper was 5.10 and 80 kilos dripping wet ! It should not be a game just for Amazons As we miss out on the Boustead, Steve Morris, Mortimer type players.

JubileeJeffro

Juniors
Guys the game has changed dramatically since the Raper days..
There are probably a handful of centres in the game at NRL level under 180cms these days. Olam is probably the only one I can think of.
I like what I have seen of Buchanan, just flagging to make it to the top he may need a positional change.

Parko1310

Juniors
Guys the game has changed dramatically since the Raper days..
There are probably a handful of centres in the game at NRL level under 180cms these days. Olam is probably the only one I can think of.
I like what I have seen of Buchanan, just flagging to make it to the top he may need a positional change.
He's not all that much shorter than a few centres in the NRL, and in terms of weight is already pretty close as well. He'll be fine at centre, if not, then second row

justadragon

Bench
For me , size is a big issue when you at 5.10 and considered small. Bloody hell Raper was 5.10 and 80 kilos dripping wet ! It should not be a game just for Amazons As we miss out on the Boustead, Steve Morris, Mortimer type players.
DP I agree with you, but its a different game now to when Raper was playing with classical tackles, when was the last time you saw someone rewarded for a classical tackle, its all about wrapping the ball up first and then wrestling the player to the ground, , the game now revolves around big centers who are also quick, as I said I wish him well and hope he makes it, time will tell.

TheRev

First Grade
I think the question for Buchanan is where does he play to make it in NRL.
At 178cms, I don’t think it’s centre.
I sense he may need to become a fullback or a hooker. He played juniors in the forwards, so perhaps a 9 could be the way to look at it.
Yep I've been contemplating the same thing.. is he good enough to play fullback or 5/8.. some said hooker.. I mean maybe.. I dunno.. I think they will stick with him @ctr for now, of course he can make it, but as has been eluded too, centres these days are all monsters.. its not just his height, hes just smaller even in comaprison to the other U19's last night.

It might take him another 12mths more than we hoped to make some of that size.. and im keen to see some more cup games, he did get rag-dolled a bit on debut but it was a shitty wet day so he was sliding all over the place.

I agree Dennis

“Size is a big issue”

Especially Undies, Nuts for bolts, tap washers, food servings, Bra’s, Bombs, Ya Pecker and apparently, modern day NRL centres.

Appears Mark Twain got it wrong with “It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.”

denis preston

First Grade
I agree Dennis

“Size is a big issue”

Especially Undies, Nuts for bolts, tap washers, food servings, Bra’s, Bombs, Ya Pecker and apparently, modern day NRL centres.

Appears Mark Twain got it wrong with “It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.”
Think I prefer you go back to rhyme !

So Talagi is being chased by the Dragons and the Knights.
Knights want him as a five eight, the Dragons as a centre.
Appears he is waiting for the appointment of the new Parramatta coach to see where he fits into his plans, then will make a decision on his next contract.
So how ironic that we wanted both Talagi and O'Sullivan and now Knights will probably use O'Sullivan to get Talagi....

We can't even get a look in and with good reason.

Basketcase.

I know everyone likes Flanagan as coach and me included, but as time wears on and no signings are made, and Juniors are lost or not developed it will eventually be the coach who is made the scapegoat while the rest of those men in suits do absolutely nothing for our team.

TheRev

First Grade
So Talagi is being chased by the Dragons and the Knights.
Knights want him as a five eight, the Dragons as a centre.
Appears he is waiting for the appointment of the new Parramatta coach to see where he fits into his plans, then will make a decision on his next contract.
Parramatta seem in the box seat now (since Arthur went), before that sounded like we had him.. tbh I think hes a much better fullback than centre for us, but we really only have 1 spot for a back.. which is replacing Lomax.. and rly it has to be a centre.. we have wingers.. we have 'a' fullback.. but we rly only have Suli and Bird next year as centres.