What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

The Word

Juniors
Me too mate, as I said I love the man, also have a look at Souths and he also recommended JD. No other coach is Wayne Bennett and never will be.
We agree then ha ha. He seems to be one of the most morally and ethically upstanding blokes you could find in the game, which is probably why so many players run through brick walls for him. So to my mind there's no way he would deliberately recommend a person for a job to try to deliberately sabotage that club. If he's given his honest opinion on a coach then fine, but it's still 100% the Board's responsibility to do their due diligence on the next coach and 0% the Outgoing coach's responsibility.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
A
Us struggling since he left has nothing whatsoever to do with him. Our board picks our head coach, not Wayne, irrespective of who he "recommends". The fact is he is one of the outstanding coaches of his generation and we were lucky to have him. Those were the days.
Agreed, the Board own these calls and they have been hopeless for over a decade now. What call have they got proven right?

justadragon

Bench
We agree then ha ha. He seems to be one of the most morally and ethically upstanding blokes you could find in the game, which is probably why so many players run through brick walls for him. So to my mind there's no way he would deliberately recommend a person for a job to try to deliberately sabotage that club. If he's given his honest opinion on a coach then fine, but it's still 100% the Board's responsibility to do their due diligence on the next coach and 0% the Outgoing coach's responsibility.
Yes I went to one of his life presentations, hardly talked about football but life in general, what you see of WB is not really the man he is behind the scenes. An extraordinary individual.

since77

Juniors
Dont get me wrong I love Wayne, but he did us no favors recommending Chinless to take over from him. That was really the start of the demise.
Agree that Price was obviously a terrible pick for next coach. But had the board been doing their job properly they not only wouldn't have doubled down on Price but then they inexcusably picked McDud and Griffin afterwards and inexplicably doubled down on both of those chumps as well. So Wayne might have hand in year one of our demise, but the board did the rest of the work over the next 12 soul sucking years.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
My recollection was that when Bennett first arrived, he wanted to get rid of all the junior coaching staff including Price. It was the Board and management that insisted Price stay on as assistant coach. He'd gone alright coaching lower grades so it wasn't an unreasonable decision. He just couldn't make the transition to first grade coach. Did Bennett see that he wasn't cut out for it? No idea, but management certainly didn't.

BLM01

First Grade
My recollection was that when Bennett first arrived, he wanted to get rid of all the junior coaching staff including Price. It was the Board and management that insisted Price stay on as assistant coach. He'd gone alright coaching lower grades so it wasn't an unreasonable decision. He just couldn't make the transition to first grade coach. Did Bennett see that he wasn't cut out for it? No idea, but management certainly didn't.
Our management still dont want to see or look, they just rather be lazy and promote within or hand it someone with ties, supposedly people within or have played are the Red V culture bleeding red and white etc. That mentality used to work to most degrees before professional sport and managers. They do it when they are forced to which is not proactive

18to87

First Grade
St George should purchase all of the Illawarra Rugby Leages Clubs; in a similar way that Gus arranged for Penrith to do in their backyard.
Collegians are the powerhouse down there not the Steelers club.

St George, based in Illawarra, with the Steelers gone, could work long term. Wollongong is changing with all of the high rises and die-hards still in Sydney would travel down. WIN Stadium would come close to a sell out every time if the weather is good, and the side was a contender.

lombard

Juniors
Our management still dont want to see or look, they just rather be lazy and promote within or hand it someone with ties, supposedly people within or have played are the Red V culture bleeding red and white etc. That mentality used to work to most degrees before professional sport and managers. They do it when they are forced to which is not proactive
Just like the global search for a CEO, to then only appoint the chairman Brian Johnston into the role because they chose to sell to WIN instead of the Kings current owner. We then had the sham Phil Gould end of season independent review sold to the fans. Only for no full review or written report being ever done, just a few beer conversations and beer coasters used.

I think he needs that little bit of lateral movement in his game
Watch him step a pair of outside backs in the Ball GF or was it the Aussie Schoolboys Test. He made em eat humble pie. Seve does look bigger, probably because Loko Jr is taller. I read he has about 5kilos on the Dogs prop. Has Gould secured Seve long term as be great to have both here.

Last edited:

since77

Juniors
Just like the global search for a CEO, to then only appoint the chairman Brian Johnston into the role because they chose to sell to WIN instead of the Kings current owner. We then had the sham Phil Gould end of season independent review sold to the fans. Only for no full review or written report being ever done, just a few beer conversations and beer coasters used.
I will never forget that clown having the stupidity and gall to declare one of our shitty seasons under McIdiot a "pass mark". Shows exactly how the A$$holes running the club couldn't have cared less about the downward spiral they'd sent the club down.

TheRev

First Grade
Watch him step a pair of outside backs in the Ball GF or was it the Aussie Schoolboys Test. He split them easy as pie. Seve does look bigger, probably because Loko Jr is taller. I read he has about 5kilos on the Dogs prop. Has Gould tired him up long term as be great to have both here.
I probably wrote it incorrectly, I meant to say that lateral movement is part of his game (compared to seve), but Loko's knees havent been good this year (which would make that difficult), just making conversation though.. hopefully he's all good and has a long career here.

So how ironic that we wanted both Talagi and O'Sullivan and now Knights will probably use O'Sullivan to get Talagi....

We can't even get a look in and with good reason.

Basketcase.

I know everyone likes Flanagan as coach and me included, but as time wears on and no signings are made, and Juniors are lost or not developed it will eventually be the coach who is made the scapegoat while the rest of those men in suits do absolutely nothing for our team.

Oh no they dont. And betting more and more will turn off him when all his promises amount to zilch.

Latest posts