What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Looks like Flanno is only targeting specific players that will improve the team because they are better than what he already has in terms of coming through. He won't throw money around to guys like Sitili at the Roosters, Coric and the other 2 forwards at the Raiders etc. Saints have been linked with guys like AFB, Manu, Dearden, Connor Tracey, Turuuva who are absolute guns and better than what Saints have now. Cook is an upgrade to liddle and he now has 2 very good hookers for the next 2 years. If a couple of the juniors coming through have the type of season Bostock is having at the Dolphins then Saints are in good hands hence why he is not chasing a back. Maybe next season will be one of those where we see alot of these juniors come up to FG.

I have not seen too many junior games but the final in the SG ball where Saints beat the Dogs they had this small fullback Tyler Peckham-Harris who looks like an absolute gem. Halagahu also looks like a future star. It's good Saints have money spare because there will be teams sniffing around to tap these guys up.

Flanno did say when he joined that he feels this team he inherited at the Dragons is better than the one he got when he joined the Sharks so he must see a lot of good playing coming through the junior ranks. I think this season is about getting rid of the dead wood and preparing for the juniors.
Good summary

BLM01

First Grade
Meeting this week where Tiges may give him the Green light to look elsewhere as per clauses in his contract ..Tigers already looking at alternatives inc NAS from the Storm ...
NAS has gone backwards this year, minimal impact except just a giant and has presence. Has Olam gone for them. Storm only let players go because they dont cut it there or come up to expectations.
The only few decent players in recent memory they let go being Kimmorley, Orford, Widdop, Harris, Tino & Drinkwater, not very many. Likely missed a couple but many have been average at best or not cut it elsewhere
Dont count Inglis as was salary cap cheating surplus (one of the superstars had to go) or Cronk who was on retirement

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
We have been hearing this for years relying on our quality juniors.
It's only mentioned when we are struggling to sign players .
What quality juniors in the last few years who have we been successful with and has gone on to be a star with Dragons long term.
They have all gone to other clubs and have developed into stars.
It's a load of BS Dragons are using successful clubs Roosters Storm and others sign marquee players .
Tigers are looking to another wooden spoon and they keep attracting big names for the next few years.
What juniors have we let go that are stars?.
Bostock might be heading that way,
Garrick just.... but Manly faithful say he cant defend along with Saab and want to gt rid of them

BLM01

First Grade
No to D Saf, no to the red head, yes to Emre Guler. Really talented is Guler. D Saf is being pushed out of Newcastle for a reason, he's as soft as a wet tissue. Not what we need in the front row at all. Corey similarly very soft, and overrated because he gets fired up and is 'aggressive'. His output is that of a fringe first grader/second grader though. Emre is a good young talent who probably hasn't reached his potential, but shown glimpses. I'd back Flano to get better out of him. If we sign D Saf and Horsborough, we'll wallow in mediocrity and only be slightly improved, and they will take us out of the market for a real quality front rower. Signing Guler would not take us out of the market for this. Guler will come at a reasonable price, has heaps of upside, and we can still push for the likes of Stefano, Griffin Neame, etc who are the real game changers we need in the front row and where we should be spending our money
D Saf was good when he made origin and played well there..admittedly a few years ago now. He has been too comfortable at newcastle on ther big $$$ and needs a change,
Newcastle have done nothing like we have. I think he is worth a look and may just get a new lease of life at another club but not on overpaid $$ he gets up there. He is only late 20's. Rather Horsborough, Stefano, Neame or Trey Mooney before Guler who will likely end up at Souths

Last edited:

TheRev

First Grade
Newcastle
That would make a bit more sense in that its not Flannos go to pay overs for anybody let alone a youngen, but we do have interest apparently... it would be somewhere between 800k-1mil.

Newcastle have a few guys on big cash, including Hastings, the Saifiti(s) and I forget who else.. but they need to offload some players i would think to even consider dropping 1mil on another prop.

Parko1310

Juniors
D Saf was good when he made origin and played well there..admittedly a few years ago now. He has been too comfortable at newcastle on ther big $$$ and needs a change,
Newcastle have done nothing like we have. I think he is worth a look and may just get a new lease of life at another club but not on overpaid $$ he gets up there. He is only late 20's. Rather Horsborough, Stefano, Neame or Trey Mooney before Guler who will likely end up at Souths
I like Mooney as well, but he's recently extended with Raiders. I think Guler being looked at by souths tells you Wayne's got an opinion of him, and personally, I really like him as a player. I think he's got way more to give and would surprise a lot of fans if he came here. I've never gotten the hype around Horsborough though, just really average. Stefano and Neame would be huge, but I think our roster needs one of these guys with the addition of another prop that would be considered 'good'. Both of them would be amazing, but I doubt the cap allows for that especially considering we will need a half at some point (unless we're just going to promote LKT and Reed)

BLM01

First Grade
That would make a bit more sense in that its not Flannos go to pay overs for anybody let alone a youngen, but we do have interest apparently... it would be somewhere between 800k-1mil.

Newcastle have a few guys on big cash, including Hastings, the Saifiti(s) and I forget who else.. but they need to offload some players i would think to even consider dropping 1mil on another prop.
Dont forget Ponga on reportedly $1.5m. How is that working out for them past 2 years.
Best $750K if not more. Friz similar. Brailey good coin
Gags was on good coin I suppose took a pay cut next year
No wonder they need POS

BLM01

First Grade
I like Mooney as well, but he's recently extended with Raiders. I think Guler being looked at by souths tells you Wayne's got an opinion of him, and personally, I really like him as a player. I think he's got way more to give and would surprise a lot of fans if he came here. I've never gotten the hype around Horsborough though, just really average. Stefano and Neame would be huge, but I think our roster needs one of these guys with the addition of another prop that would be considered 'good'. Both of them would be amazing, but I doubt the cap allows for that especially considering we will need a half at some point (unless we're just going to promote LKT and Reed)
I have changed my mind about Stefano (I want to win a premiership) Ut....
Players or through their managers that say this turn me right off
What message does that send to kids that look up to their players..because that is what counts where basically that attitude is the opposite they try and instill at school (Everyones a winner)
What about his Tigers team mates
I am sure Friz said the same thing one day..oops
Its funny how all media are now looking at AFB carry''s on this year for derailing their season. I would of thought the media would have more compassion, was not that the reason he left, yeh right.
Now Guler wants out on compassionate leave
Stef is not worth 1 mill for 50 mins..not yet

I keep saying it Player Managers are the worst thing to happen to our sport.. apart from broadcasters running the game
but that is professional sport life.. sad

Last edited:

lombard

Juniors
What message does that send to kids that look up[ to their players..because that is what counts where basically that attitude is the opposite they try and instill at school (Everyones a winner)
Totally agree, look at Galvin, he won premiership after premiership in the local juniors then just a few weeks ago wanted out because winning is suddenly hard work.
Hopefully we continue to sign blokes that put team first versus themselves even if it takes a bit longer.

since77

Juniors
Its funny how all media are now looking at AFB carry''s on this year for derailing their season. I would of thought the media would have more compassion, was not that the reason he left, yeh right.
To be honest I think we dodged a bullet missing out on AFB. Great player when he's at his best but he's left a few clubs mid contract and currently causing issues at the Warriors. I'd bet he would have caused similar problems for us once he got a bee in his bonnet about something.
The Tigers prop is still largely unproven but I think he'd thrive under Flanno. Probably worth a punt at a young age when there's nothing else really on the market, we desperately need a quality front rower (or two).

Mojo

Bench
What message does that send to kids that look up to their players..because that is what counts where basically that attitude is the opposite they try and instill at school (Everyones a winner)

I keep saying it Player Managers are the worst thing to happen to our sport.. apart from broadcasters running the game
100%

TheRev

First Grade

Agree with this one... Stefano is 5yrs in front of our 19yr olds.. can you imagine how hard its gonna be to put 2to5 'more' years into them... they are finally looking nearly first grade standard...and then have them get sweet-talked away. The Tigers tbf stole the Fainu brothers, Api, Turuva, Luai etc etc.. so its not not like they dont do the same.

But it is what it is.. we will lock our top few down.. and hope like hell flanno can build more respect into our brand before that time comes... which would drastically reduce the difficulty (and cost) to keep more kids at the club.

BLM01

First Grade
To be honest I think we dodged a bullet missing out on AFB. Great player when he's at his best but he's left a few clubs mid contract and currently causing issues at the Warriors. I'd bet he would have caused similar problems for us once he got a bee in his bonnet about something.
The Tigers prop is still largely unproven but I think he'd thrive under Flanno. Probably worth a punt at a young age when there's nothing else really on the market, we desperately need a quality front rower (or two).
Is AFB the sole reason for the decline
Is it the coach? If he is unsettling do yo speak drop him
Cause if it happened at our club I know who will be under fire !

since77

Juniors
Is AFB the sole reason for the decline
Is it the coach? If he is unsettling do yo speak drop him
Cause if it happened at our club I know who will be under fire !
I don't think he's the sole reason for their bad year. Could also be they just got lucky with a few players in peak form last year, same way Dragons had a good 2018 then fell off a cliff. Nth QLD had a good season a few years back and struggled since then.
Having said all of that I think AFB isn't going to be a good fit for any club's culture in the long term and I think their coach handled what happened a month or so ago the right way.

Latest posts