What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

sammymills

Juniors
Ryles' appointment at the Eels is just further proof that our BOD didn't want to give a head coach autonomy to run the club, which obviously made Ryles reconsider his options.

Low and behold we went for the desperado drug cheat who no one else wanted as a head coach and he and our BOD are all happy that the noise has settled down due to a few mediocre wins in his first season in charge. The fraud made absolutely no demands for any changes and accepted the job gleefully and we're now going to be stuck in the doldrums for the next 2-3 years that he is our coach.

Let's just hope our next coach isn't Dean Young and actually puts some pressure on the BOD to give them autonomy and make the changes that are so desperately needed the same way Ryles tried to.

All the best to Ryles and the Eels for the upcoming seasons, im sure they'll see the benefits of his coaching skill set.
Here he is! hes back guys

Old Timer

Coach
I find it a tad amusing that our measure of performance this year is gauged against all the hoopla of last year including an out of favour coach about to be sacked and an absolute rookie taking over and despite that their against at this stage is still superior keeping in mind that S F has Eisenhuth, Sele, Leilua, K F and Hook had Burns, Hunt.

Did we lose yesterday? We must have because that "I'm Hornby" character is posting again. How did we get from a Ryles story to a "trash Flanno" story again. It is the only sentiment he can discuss (ad nauseum). Find another song for Fxck sake. What a broken record.
Yep, after a loss the white ants cut loose again. With our roster we were never going have an epic season. We have had improvement this year and that is all that we can expect. We are a work in progress.

Wolfgang90

Juniors
Has defence improved? Will we improve next year? when it's likely that guys like RFM/BMM/Eisenhuth/JDB etc will regress with age without getting games into our younger forwards. Rip the band aid off and blood them now. Why delay the inevitable?

Flanno only has a 3 year contract so I can't blame him for his win now mentality.

Old Timer

Coach
Has defence improved? Will we improve next year? when it's likely that guys like RFM/BMM/Eisenhuth/JDB etc will regress with age without getting games into our younger forwards. Rip the band aid off and blood them now. Why delay the inevitable?

Flanno only has a 3 year contract so I can't blame him for his win now mentality.
I agree except for the last paragraph.

Because he has 3 years he shouldn’t waste the 1st one.

I feel tgat if Ryles had been given what he wants and taken the job we would be further down the road to recovery then we are now.

since77

Juniors
I agree except for the last paragraph.

Because he has 3 years he shouldn’t waste the 1st one.

I feel tgat if Ryles had been given what he wants and taken the job we would be further down the road to recovery then we are now.

You've said this so many times but have never once actually told us what L plate Ryles was going to do better than what Flanagan has done with the roster he inherited.
Can you help me out by telling me how he would have recruited better, coached better or got better results in the first year of a rebuild if he had been given the job instead of Flanno?

TheRev

First Grade

I mentioned this elsewhere, but im hoping that yesterday was a bit of a wake-up call for Flanno in terms of some of the 'safe' selections hes been making, not that he has a lot of options, but 8 games left, its time to atleast play 2 couchmans for the remainder of the year... and 'if' SFinau gets back and fit id be having him there also, lets put some pace in, lets see if hes our right wing starter for 2025... and if not lets find someone who is.

As for 'winning now', its more that its a pipe dream to think you can 'win next year' or 'win in 2026', it wont be any better then.. itll actually be worse with new clubs coming in to add insult to injury.. the only way we can recruit talent is by winning games.. it took Flanno a while to figure that out after missing probably 50 targets.. which is a shame cause I think we could have gone harder on a few marquees.. but were here now, and hes built us a base we should be able to sign a few players off..

hewi

Bench
I feel that once we are no chance of finishing in the 8 then it will be game on for selections of the unused to see if he thinks they are worth keeping. Those that have been there all year like Hunt, Lawrie and Bird can go now and I suspect Rava might be told he can look else where. Reality is Hunt is the biggest problem , to much money for to little effort and ability.

JubileeJeffro

Juniors
Yesterday just showed we are a developing team with a coach in his first year of change. We can’t compete with top 4 teams as we don’t have the squad or the depth of talent.

Last year we finished 16th, this year we will finish between 8-12 with players generally improved, except for Lawrie and Rava who appear to have gone backwards.

Next year with a couple more squad tweaks I think we will improve again to a 5-9th. We have the hooker sorted, need a prop and a strike centre and ideally a speedy winger.

to get to top 4 and contenders in 26 we need a quality 6,7 added to mix, along with an improved or replaced Sloan.

Both Couchmans will be quality in 26.

The doomsayers are all back this week after being deadly silent last week as expected.

Onwards and upwards, we need to beat a depleted broncos next week as Storm and Panthers to follow

Gardenia

Juniors
What a joke they let lomax go to keep the 2 brothers . Max and Matt have shown over the years nothing no other club would have signed them no speed and can't defend.
We had last year the worst left edge in the comp thanks to Feagai. How stupid to let Lomax go

Gardenia

Juniors
The doomsayers are all back this week after being deadly silent last week as expected.

Onwards and upwards, we need to beat a depleted broncos next week as Storm and Panthers to follow
I like your enthusiasm, but the ladder is just too close this year. That beating just hammered our for and against and stamped us out of the top eight.

Dragon David

First Grade
I feel that once we are no chance of finishing in the 8 then it will be game on for selections of the unused to see if he thinks they are worth keeping. Those that have been there all year like Hunt, Lawrie and Bird can go now and I suspect Rava might be told he can look else where. Reality is Hunt is the biggest problem , to much money for to little effort and ability.
Yep. Hunt is not value for money by a long shot. A player being paid as much as him should be killing it every week (injury free). Or is he being paid that much more because he is the captain? I know he is not but what has he been able to provide and achieve for our club when you see guys like Reynolds, Walker, Cleary, Cherry-Evans, Hughes, Moses, Johnson, Hynes etc have more control and create things to win games.

We do need an upgrade that's for sure.