What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Dragon David

First Grade
Well done lads. You've eased my pain from the tigers loss somewhat.
Yeah. They have been battered from pillar to post your guys Nutz.

As we all know great defence wins games and unfortunately the Tigers boys need kicking up the backside big time to put in more in defence than they have been. No need being good in attack if you cannot defend the tries you score.

Old Timer

Coach
Rumour has it that same poster was calling Webster a much better coach than Flano and that we could only wish to be as well run as the NZ warriors.
I still rate Webster a better coach than S F.

Sure the Warriors have some issues especially injuries which is reflected in their position on the ladder but that doesn’t mean Webster can’t coach.

Let’s see how we go as we get into the tough part of the draw post origin (providing teams don’t rest all their origin players) then we will know how “improved” we are under S F.

If I’ve got it wrong I’ll put my hand up.

BLM01

First Grade

Sure the Warriors have some issues especially injuries which is reflected in their position on the ladder but that doesn’t mean Webster can’t coach.

Let’s see how we go as we get into the tough part of the draw post origin (providing teams don’t rest all their origin players) then we will know how “improved” we are under S F.

Thanks for putting your hand up OT, because thus far we have improved under S F (9-8) and in front of Webster with their star studded roster.
Here is some trivia for the negative Flanno haters
What year were we last better than 9 W 8 L after 17 games.?.. Clue it was more than 5 years ago?
Tough part of the draw. Huh.. Except for Tigers at present every game is tough.
Keep hoping OT that we fall in a hole so you can say you were right we have a crap coach.
I used to enjoy your analogies and views because we all cant agree on everything and I know we have a few debates over the years as both originally Peakhurst Hawks and even Peaky High boys
....but lately the Flanno hatred is so one sided that you are contradicting yourself trying to justify how bad a coach he is and how wrong a fit he is for our club.

Last edited:

redVinme

Bench

From what I know of you, you'll just move the goal posts again but if you do manage to put your hand up and admit fault (and the gates to hell don't open and swallow us all) I'm sure it'll be a nice moment for everyone.

since77

Juniors
Thanks for putting your hand up OT, because thus far we have improved under S F (9-8) and in front of Webster with their star studded roster.
What year were we last better than 9 W 8 L after 17 games.?.. Clue it was more than 5 years ago?
Keep hoping OT that we fall in a hole so you can say you were right we have a crap coach.
To the Flanno haters only the losses count. When we win there's always an excuse. Other team had players missing....other team played like crap......
Its odd that some people still can't acknowledge the team is much improved on year one of rebuilding the team. We're still very far from perfect and very far from where we all want to be but if some people can't work out we are trending upwards, they're just blinkered and biased.
And apparently we'd be better off with one year wonder Webster or L plate Ryles.

Nutz

Bench
Yeah. They have been battered from pillar to post your guys Nutz.

As we all know great defence wins games and unfortunately the Tigers boys need kicking up the backside big time to put in more in defence than they have been. No need being good in attack if you cannot defend the tries you score.
Crying now 😭
My tigers couldn't stop 10 angry nuns from scoring tries.

Old Timer

Coach
I used to enjoy your analogies and views because we all cant agree on everything but lately the Flanno hatred is so one sided that you are contradicting yourself trying to justify how bad a coach he is and how wrong a fit he is for our club.
I haven’t put it up just yet

We are improved on the ladder position that is true but please take into account how some teams have markedly regressed when we analyse the following

Are we a smarter team?
Are we a defensively better team?
Are we a better attacking team especially in the opposition 20?
Does the team have a better kicking game?
Is Ben Hunt less influential in respect of his ownership of the team?
Are we a better disciplined team in respect of dumb penalties, 6 agains etc?
Are we faster team and finally scoring long range tries?
Are we a team that is blooding a raft of younger players in a beneficial manner?
Are we in fact a fitter team that doesn’t have blow outs in the 2nd half?
Do we now select our best team every week?

I read posts which are IMO about individual things like Lomax improving, Sua back to SOO form, Sloan improving in given areas but other than those individual things and the team being higher on the ladder and as I said objectively that needs to be weighed up against other teams decline where exactly as a “team” have we improved?

For the sake of this discussion I am willing to concede that there is some “individual” improvements in a couple of players but unless the “team” improves in the things I have listed above then we can be quickly surpassed as other teams (sadly like the Dogs) get their shit together.

The points I am raising are not out of hatred they are out of the fact I won’t kiss his arse just because he’s won a premiership and I am not seeing what he promised.

If ever there was a game that should have delivered some quantum as to our “improvement” it was last night and we barely snuck home and IMO that is a major concern.

BLM01

First Grade
I haven’t put it up just yet

We are improved on the ladder position that is true but please take into account how some teams have markedly regressed when we analyse the following

Are we a smarter team?
Are we a team that is blooding a raft of younger players in a beneficial manner?

I read posts which are IMO about individual things like Lomax improving, Sua back to SOO form, Sloan improving in given areas but other than those individual things and the team being higher on the ladder and as I said objectively that needs to be weighed up against other teams decline where exactly as a “team” have we improved?

For the sake of this discussion I am willing to concede that there is some “individual” improvements in a couple of players but unless the “team” improves in the things I have listed above then we can be quickly surpassed as other teams (sadly like the Dogs) get their shit together.

The points I am raising are not out of hatred they are out of the fact I won’t kiss his arse just because he’s won a premiership and I am not seeing what he promised.

If ever there was a game that should have delivered some quantum as to our “improvement” it was last night and we barely snuck home and IMO that is a major concern.
Hmm. I think every year there are reasons outside of our control like how other teams are going

TheRev

First Grade
Still think young Sailor is a good young kid.. looked very dangerous once the Broncos finally had the ball and were getting momentum over us,

If Sloan hadnt been signed up he would be a good fit.. but he doesnt excite me like Talagi is @19yrs of age... I know we prob wont get him, but hes our future longterm 1 or 6 if he comes.

Old Timer

Coach
It only makes OT feel superior if there were "many" than he gets to be smarter than more people silly.

The fact is there was a couple of passing comments and as usual ol mate is fighting ghosts.
As usual you don't read enough.

There was a lot of criticism after he was let go (not just about the perceived lack of support over the allegations) and also after he had a (emphasis on a) break out game for the Broncos.

By the way it doesn't take many to be many in this place as there aren't that many of us in here.

None of us are that important in the big scheme of St GI we just put our hearts on our sleeve more than others.

Old Timer

Coach
From what I know of you, you'll just move the goal posts again but if you do manage to put your hand up and admit fault (and the gates to hell don't open and swallow us all) I'm sure it'll be a nice moment for everyone.
Perhaps you might like to have a crack at answering these and give some insight as to where the "team" has improved other than on the ladder.

Are we a smarter team?

A couple of others I thought of

Have we stopped having coach's pets selected?
Have we stopped recruiting aged pensioners, journeymen and never quite was's?
Have our forwards become a dominating pack?
Have we dispensed with the "power play" game plan?
Have we dispensed with the 5 hit up and mid field bomb play book?

I think most would agree that these were failings under previous coaching regimes and needed quantifiable improvement so I am happy to listen to any logical input / explanations other than our position on the ladder is the indicator of the alleged improvement.

Whilst I am not 1,000% sure and a bit too lazy to do the analysis I remember that poor goal kicking was perceived as a cause of some close losses last year so maybe that individual skill might have some bearing on outcomes thus far this year.