What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

TheRev

Coach
I find it slightly odd that Tom Dearden was a target we went super hard for... and then after we missed him we decided we don't need to buy a half at all?
Well to be fair the Dearden one dragged out (like they all have), I thought we had pulled a great buy in Volkman as our next target.. then that fell over.. and Marshke wasnt a bad get (5/8 of the year) etc..

I think with Marshkes injuries though, we will want someone different for 2025.. could be wrong.. but I think we atleast try.. im just rly curious if Flanno has someone specific in mind to replace Hunt.. not sure whos on market come Nov 1? We will need to look into that after the season.

Well to be fair the Dearden one dragged out (like they all have), I thought we had pulled a great buy in Volkman as our next target.. then that fell over.. and Marshke wasnt a bad get (5/8 of the year) etc..

I think with Marshkes injuries though, we will want someone different for 2025.. could be wrong.. but I think we atleast try.. im just rly curious if Flanno has someone specific in mind to replace Hunt.. not sure whos on market come Nov 1? We will need to look into that after the season.
Just wondering whether Latu Fainu would be worth looking at. He will be down the pecking order at at Wests once Luai gets there. Tigers could pick up part of the tab.

CozDragon

Juniors

I think the progression of LKT may have softened the blow/ need for a 5/8 signing.
As for the replacement for Hunt, who really knows. There are a few marquees coming off contract at same time, I assume we will try to get one of them. If that doesn't eventuate I wonder if the fallback is Flanno jnr to 7.

TheRev

Coach
Just wondering whether Latu Fainu would be worth looking at. He will be down the pecking order at at Wests once Luai gets there. Tigers could pick up part of the tab.
I'm really curious about him too, im not sure if Benji's reluctance to use him is an indication that hes just too young, or hes not happy with him fullstop...

His brother however is an origin player imo.. so good.. both of em r signed to 4 year 500k deals, but Samuela I reckon isnt far off needing an upgrade, maybe in 12-24mths time at the outside.

Dragon David

First Grade
Dogs seem as good a fit as any for RCG, as per usual very late interest but they close deals quickly.

Even if they do get him, atleast that takes them out of the market for the others.
They (the Mangy, Flea Bitten Bulldogs) seem to always be sniffing around to see who is trying to get who and then they pounce and take the players from under other clubs noses. They are like predators lying in wait until they know what sort of deal is being offered and then they charge in to better it and then get the signatures by closing deals quickly as you say TheRev.

I just wonder who they will get rid of to sign the next lot of 30 players (over exaggeration) as their turnover of players coming and going doesn't appear to be coming to an end.

Have I said anywhere that I detest that Bullcrap club?

They (the Mangy, Flea Bitten Bulldogs) seem to always be sniffing around to see who is trying to get who and then they pounce and take the players from under other clubs noses. They are like predators lying in wait until they know what sort of deal is being offered and then they charge in to better it and then get the signatures by closing deals quickly as you say TheRev.
Ditto DD. Blame Phil Gould. Wish we had a predator like him to be brutally honest, as picking up quality guys like Stephen Crichton, Matt Burton, Viliame Kikau etc, is now paying off for the grubs.

BIG RIG

Juniors
Bulldogs didn’t have the cash to compete for Val Holmes - $ 850 000 , so unless Parra are willing to pay a part in RCG contract I can’t see how Dogs afford him

TheRev

Coach
Bulldogs didn’t have the cash to compete for Val Holmes - $ 850 000 , so unless Parra are willing to pay a part in RCG contract I can’t see how Dogs afford him
The Holmes signing made 0 sense for them.. another big money outside back.. even if they got rid of Ado-Carr, but they did have money set aside for a big prop in Stefano, I would have guessed it was more like 600k though..

The 2025 year is gonna be pretty similar for all parties (with whatever parra will pay), but the 2026 year for RCG is the one that will decide where he goes.. surely we would offer more.. but you never know.. Flanno is running a very tight ship.

Dragon David

First Grade
Ditto DD. Blame Phil Gould. Wish we had a predator like him to be brutally honest, as picking up quality guys like Stephen Crichton, Matt Burton, Viliame Kikau etc, is now paying off for the grubs.
Yes, I suppose Gus should be given a lot of the credit in being able to help get those guys you mentioned RVH to the Dogs Club and I guess the likes of the Laundy family as well for being able to get him. That Club was a basket case in many ways a few years back but now the future is looking very much brighter, much to my gangrene.

When the day comes that the Dragons and the Bulldogs face each other in a futuristic Grand Final, I really hope that we beat them. That would be something fantastic. The only wish I have is that I am around to witness it.

Reactions: jak

TheRev

Coach
I'm not sure about the Horse rumour.. I think we want him.. I think the Tigers want him too.. hes definitely the biggest risk of the 3 on market.. given hes out of form and out of favour.. but he also has the biggest upside as the youngest @26yrs of age, and in the qld origin team last year.

It'll be about the money for sure.. and I just realised his contract is 2024-2028... far out thats a long contract... no way the raiders would want to pay freight beyond a year or 2 I would think.

BIG RIG

Juniors
The Holmes signing made 0 sense for them.. another big money outside back.. even if they got rid of Ado-Carr, but they did have money set aside for a big prop in Stefano, I would have guessed it was more like 600k though..

The 2025 year is gonna be pretty similar for all parties (with whatever parra will pay), but the 2026 year for RCG is the one that will decide where he goes.. surely we would offer more.. but you never know.. Flanno is running a very tight ship.
That’s what I thought aswell why would they want Holmes but Gould confirmed that he was gonna travel to Townsville to meet him before he heard what we had offered