What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Money. Specifically the cost of taking all those players to away games. Travel, accommodation etc
Fair enough but very short sighted

They should have at least retained a reserve grade giving more exposure and experience to much emerging talent

No wonder we are complaining about the lack of first grade talent available, especially considering further NRL expansion.

Perth will ensure further dilution of talent and an overall, substandard quality of football bar the same top 4-5 teams.

Boring!

Dragon David

First Grade
Money. Specifically the cost of taking all those players to away games. Travel, accommodation etc
Well that is their bloody fault. Expanding the numbers of teams and spreading them to all points of the continent and overseas to PNG and NZ what do they expect.

I don't know who would be doing the costing of it all but wouldn't it all balance out to be pretty much the same. For instance, don't the lower grades have to travel as well even though it isn't on the same day. Like our KOE Cup team having to play the Warriors in Auckland and we have a date to play them as well. Wouldn't that cost the same if they went there on the same day? Discounts maybe applying? I just don't get it.

The NRL/ARL make a motza anyway and they are the ones who want to promote the code and expanding it. They should bear the cost and that would benefit the fanbase rather than to build up the NRL/ARL Assets so that they can boast they have been a success. It's the fans that they have to please not their egos.

BLM01

First Grade
I’m completely naive on this subject but what was wrong with the simple structure of all clubs having a 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade?
Correct to all but alas we will have 3 grades. NRL, NRLW and Under 21's to all eventually, although not sure the NRLW product will get as far as they hope at that top level nor stand alone to be a broadcasters single product.
We had the Under 20's before, same deal.
But now money will be funnelled to those 3 comps above, but like before skips reggies as no one cares about that product (I do) so no money and they keep playing in a sub tier run comp which I disagree with vehemently.
But reggies back on the radar will stop some players wanting out via managers as not on show.
Not everyone wants to go overseas.

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
NRL have the money to spend in $billion + thanks to broadcasters and can get deals with airlines, same plane as now just more players in it including reggies.
They just could not be bothered as it is not as exciting to watch as NRL or the womens (disagree) or the kids.

BLM01

First Grade
Simple solution for mine make the junior comps all NSW based if 2 NSW teams play each other have all 3 grades represented if not have at Henson Park or North Sydney Oval etc. I really miss watching all 3 grades playing felt I was really getting my money's worth.
Agree because now you certainly do not get your moneys worth especially with rugby league ground catering.
For example at WIN which I visit every game, quality + prices including drinks are poor.

since77

Juniors
Correct to all but alas we will have 3 grades. NRL, NRLW and Under 21's to all eventually, although not sure the NRLW product will get as far as they hope at that top level nor stand alone to be a broadcasters single product.
I think the NRLW is a fantastic initiative to give women a well deserved place in the game. Having said that I pretty much have zero interest in it. That will probably get me labelled as something politically incorrect but I've tried and it just doesn't do anything for me, even in the times I've watched the Dragons' girls play.
I do think its a vital element in the modern presentation of the game but I can't see it ever getting more than a niche audience.

Dragon David

First Grade
I think the NRLW is a fantastic initiative to give women a well deserved place in the game. Having said that I pretty much have zero interest in it. That will probably get me labelled as something politically incorrect but I've tried and it just doesn't do anything for me, even in the times I've watched the Dragons' girls play.
I do think its a vital element in the modern presentation of the game but I can't see it ever getting more than a niche audience.
To me unless our girls are doing really well, I don't particularly put time aside to watch the games in the NRLW competition. I love watching their SOO games and the Womens World Cups etc. but as I said, if the Dragons girls are doing a good job in the comp I watch them, but now that they aren't I have little interest.

RedVee

First Grade
To me unless our girls are doing really well, I don't particularly put time aside to watch the games in the NRLW competition. I love watching their SOO games and the Womens World Cups etc. but as I said, if the Dragons girls are doing a good job in the comp I watch them, but now that they aren't I have little interest.
I just watch our girls for as long as I can or until they start getting slaughtered. Whichever comes first.

I watch a bit of the Rep games.

Didnt know where to post this...

GWIjSWuaAAAQpQS

Full article here...

Balmain today.
St George tomorrow.

Harry Bath

Juniors
its probably because the dragons NRLW are not very good!, if they were winning I recon there would be more interest

I'm the same
Good luck to them - hope it proves a winner but I'm not very interested.

TheRev

Coach
I also dont watch much NRLW, and perhaps its because we really have been awful.. but more than that our girls keep leaving each year.. something is wrong there.. it reminds me a bit of Crickets BBL which I do watch but also struggle to feel passionate about any of the sides... players just seem like mercenaries.. I really just follow players that I like wherever they end up playing.

That said for me who LOVES to track all 3 grades of mens footy, 5 when SG is on.. and maybe itll be 7 one day with HM.. like thats all the attention space I have to give.. I can barely keep up.. but I'm not the audience they are after for NRLW..

One big positive about NRLW though and nothing to do with us oldies... if it engages more young viewers, the more young people interested in any rugby league is a big win for the future of the game.. a lot of us nostalgic oldies wont be around forever.. we need new generations of ppl to support the game, buy memberships, pay for Kayo etc etc..

Latest posts