What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
I would much rather watch watch first, reserve and third grade than NRLW but we are having NRLW force fed to us. Some may enjoy it but I'm just not interested.
Who is force feeding you to watch the game?
The NRLW is not the NRL people need to get over that, it is its own game, skill level, structures, technique are not on par with the men's game and that's ok, it's getting better and better every year BUT it will never be like the NRL enjoy it for what it is, if it's not your cup of tea, watch something else.

kit66

Bench
The NRLW is not the NRL people need to get over that, it is its own game, skill level, structures, technique are not on par with the men's game and that's ok, it's getting better and better every year BUT it will never be like the NRL enjoy it for what it is, if it's not your cup of tea, watch something else.

I think the girls need a better coach, we're stacked with good players but are barely competitive. Sorry Sowie but we can do better.

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
AY, tomorrow is a classic case. I would have been happy to travel from the Illawarra to Parramatta Stadium to watch NSW Cup and NRL but they have put on the Cup at something like 10.45am to squeeze in the NWRL game. I have nothing against the women but I am not interested in their footy. That seems an example of force feeding to me.

Agree it is what it is, hope some kids get opportunities from the game, just not my cup of tea.

The Word

Juniors
Thats OK, and as others have indicated, it is not politically incorrect to not like it, support etc, freedom of choice and speech.
I will declare first I have a vested interest in 1 NRLW player and support it for that
But I preferred their natural raw product of NRLW for the first few years and even their sub tier product when they had their own styles and teams had a mix of local talent.
But with a small few becoming full time player / community or media people for the clubs and other broadcasters and YES now professionals with PM's their product is seemingly looking like a higher pitched version of the mens game at all fronts which is not everyone's cup-of-tea including females.
The game is growing for the lure of stardom and lining pockets at a pace outpacing the talent to handle it alone.
There is a reason that womens AusTag and Touch are killing it because despite the narrative more females playing hybrid versions do not or want transfer to play a predominantly mens or contact sport. And a few who have got there want out. Some always will but at what level of numbers we will find out with expansion in the soon years to come.
I hope it goes well but not sold just yet, but we all have to acknowledge the growth in 10 years across all levels has boomed for the girls, unfortunately mens at sub tier levels especially country is going backwards.

In respect to our club nothing is really wrong potentially, we have the biggest nursey available to us and are trying to develop better pathways systems (long way to go.).
But what I do know first hand in respect to some developing girls and boys (not on full time contracts) is other clubs do more in support or assisting their journey outside of playing / training, offering more incentives to entice moving.
Some longer term football club staff as well at development level including some ex local legends need to be moved on if we are to truly become a super power development club we should be and start investing in and spend $$$$
Now all that is over to our CEO / GM of football to address and of course BOD. Lets cross fingers.
Great assessment, many thanks. Have seen first hand the rise of OzTag in the hills district (part of Parra catchment). So many players (girls and boys) that most clubs simply run out of space for teams and it's first come first served. Teams actually get turned away.

Not sure whether it takes girls away from the contact version, don't know enough about that. From the boys perspective, most boys like my son will join an oztag team as it starts straight after GF weekend for tackle footy so works out perfectly. He gets to keep playing footy albeit a different version.

Agree more needs to be done by the Dragons off field. From memory with the Wishart situation his Dad was heavily involved in the move to Melbourne so obviously he must've seen a better opportunity for his son to play. Whether that's the lure of a top club or a genuine lack of communication and effort on our part with the top pathway players who knows but it's a glaring mistake.

The other thing that is missing in terms of the off-field work is funding. We need genuine professionals employed in these roles and that takes money. What has become clear about the joint ownership model (nothing to do with joint venture) is that neither side will put their hands in their pockets to fund these things in the same way other clubs do. Keep the joint venture but sell the club to one owner with a passion for the game, a business head on his shoulders and a willingness to put his money where his mouth is.

Latest posts