What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Jubilee

Juniors
You paint what appears like a realistic picture of problems facing the NRL, BLM01. I hope that the NRL know what they are doing.
The contradictions and limitations of expansion are obvious but no one has ever been promoted up the corporate or political ladder by pointing out that the emperor is naked.

My current favorite is Anthony Albanese wanting a PNG expansion team and using taxpayer money to subsidize it between now and 2035 (Note: that is halfway to 2050).

At the same time he brings in Net Zero legislation (a decarbonized world by 2050.)

Hmm. I can't wait until Perth or Fiji joins the competition and we can have teams in Fiji flying to play in Perth and teams in Melboure flying to play in Port Moresby. Carbon footprint much?

But that is all in the future and it doesn't matter to these people what actually and in fact happens in the future bcs then it will be someone else's problem. Right now, all the guys at the top can see is themselves being even bigger and more important poohbahs. And the emperor's new clothes.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Baz is a curse? Wherever he goes the HC gets punted, this one was quicker than all the others. Demitriou may get the gig as he knows the players. I have a feeling it will be Josh Hannay as he is a Qlder and has done well as an assistant. I cannot see a person from NSW getting that gig.

It will be a hard gig as the players seem to run the show. Poor Kevvie. Brisbane have high standards. They even sacked the immortal coach in Bennett after a bad season or 2.

Dragon David

First Grade
The contradictions and limitations of expansion are obvious but no one has ever been promoted up the corporate or political ladder by pointing out that the emperor is naked.

My current favorite is Anthony Albanese wanting a PNG expansion team and using taxpayer money to subsidize it between now and 2035 (Note: that is halfway to 2050).

At the same time he brings in Net Zero legislation (a decarbonized world by 2050.)

Hmm. I can't wait until Perth or Fiji joins the competition and we can have teams in Fiji flying to play in Perth and teams in Melboure flying to play in Port Moresby. Carbon footprint much?

But that is all in the future and it doesn't matter to these people what actually and in fact happens in the future bcs then it will be someone else's problem. Right now, all the guys at the top can see is themselves being even bigger and more important poohbahs. And the emperor's new clothes.

I honestly feel for the future of league here in Australia. That is all I want to say.

Gareth67

First Grade
I honestly feel for the future of league here in Australia. That is all I want to say.
By adding extra teams to the competition the NRL will then be in a position to create a 2 tier competition .

Unfortunately for those clubs finding themselves in the lower tier of the competition will find it almost insurmountable to climb to the elite level of the first .

And that will be the cause of dramatic change and heartbreak for many supporters of the game .

Last edited:

Phantom V

Juniors

Please mate. I’m depressed enough about our state of affairs as a club, don’t remind me of the buffoon who’s pretending to run the country

Jubilee

Juniors
They all talk about the "great product" of "the modern game" and "superstars" and so on as if people only recently started to enjoy it and it is all thanks to their brilliant sports admin.

They should have a look at that Phil Blake highlights package (h/t Old Timer) where Blake is doing magic with a slippery, wet 5lb leather ball, and then explain how what we see today is better than that.

Old Timer

Coach
They all talk about the "great product" of "the modern game" and "superstars" and so on as if people only recently started to enjoy it and it is all thanks to their brilliant sports admin.

They should have a look at that Phil Blake highlights package (h/t Old Timer) where Blake is doing magic with a slippery, wet 5lb leather ball, and then explain how what we see today is better than that.

slippery5

Juniors
Can’t believe all the talk about Trindall & Hynes.

Trindall has had half a dozen good games, and has just come off DUI charges. If you ignore origin and just consider club football, Hynes has been probably the 2nd best halfback for the last 3 years, I’d take Hynes over Trindall in a heartbeat. Also think Some time with a physcolgist would do him wonders, football ability is huge- just needs to get mentally right again.
I'm a close family friend of a current Storm player, when I asked him who would be his "one" player he would choose if he was going to a new franchise club aka Dolphins or Perth etc he replied with "Nicho" & then Harry or Api.....

slippery5

Juniors
Hynes is a fullback who was stuck behind a better fullback at the Purple Cheats and thus went to market after a good year filling in as a utility Mr. Fix It much like Wishart has been used in this years Purple Cheat's side.
Went to Sharks as an unproven and dare I say manufactured halfback. Like the rest of the Sharks, he's a bit of flat track bully. Great when everything is humming along nicely. Goes missing just like Hunt when it counts. And lets get real, 2nd best halfback? Nonsense. He's not even in the top 5 NRL halfbacks. Cleary, Hughes, DCE, Walker, Moses all easily in front of him. Dearden too if you count him as a 7.
Sure, there's a bit of a Trindall bandwagon and he's still got a lot to prove but you can tell he's a genuine half with footy smarts - they're rare. His performance last weekend was masterful.

Now, if you were to offer me Hynes as a fullback - I'd take him instantly. But if you were to offer me a choice between Trindall and Hynes as halfback - I'd pick Trindall every single time.
Hynes only played fullback when Paps was injured he has "always" played in the halves including Manly Junior 2x different Qld Cup teams so therefore, is "definately" not a manufactured half!!!!
PS.
Having watched him play many times for the Falcons at "6" I had the opinion that he was an elite player every day of the week. Along with Harry, who was in the same team & battled for MOM between them.

carltonsouth79

First Grade
The NRL don’t seem to realise they are killing the goose that laid the golden egg. Every year basically 4 of the same teams will be in the 8 and the remaining soon to be 16 teams will fight it out for 4 spots. The fans of those teams will soon lose interest. They need a draft.
I agree. Looking at the Rorters side, if I’m right 12 of their starting 13 are internationals and/ or state of origin players. Sharing talent has to be a priority if any competition is to have longevity and genuine competition. Sadly the draft was voted down by players previously. I love the NFL draft but of course they have a very structured pathway through College football but it’s a great spectacle.

Dragon David

First Grade
Needless to say this little bloke wasn't bad either.
As Rex would say "He's gapped em' or "you can put down the glasses".
Great acceleration to get through the gaps and pound for pound a tough little guy who I managed to meet on several occasions when he used to take the twins who were about 6 years old to Sunday kiddy concerts at one of the clubs in the Sutherland Shire.

Needless to say that our captain lacks a lot of the pace that both Slippery and Blake had.

since77

Juniors
Hynes only played fullback when Paps was injured he has "always" played in the halves including Manly Junior 2x different Qld Cup teams so therefore, is "definately" not a manufactured half!!!!
PS.
Having watched him play many times for the Falcons at "6" I had the opinion that he was an elite player every day of the week. Along with Harry, who was in the same team & battled for MOM between them.
Looking at his QLD cup stats he played a lot of fullback and some games at 6. In other words a manufactured 7.

Latest posts