What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

JubileeJeffro

Juniors
Wasn't specifically referring to Gutho.

But he would be on the first plane to Melbourne if they where offering good coin over a few years.

Point is our culture sucks and effects recruitment more then traveling to the Gong.
Hypothetical of course, as the Storm have no need and based on history wouldn’t even consider recruiting a player like Gutho.

Old Timer

Coach
The beaches in Wollongong are at the very least, equal to the Northern beaches.
What about the schools, colleges, restaurants, wine bars, pubs, theatres, clubs lol the Steelers Club would turn anyone off, unemployment rate, employment opportunities or are beaches the be all and end all for making a decision to relocate your family?

possm

Coach
I am sick to death of all this bullshit garbage about players not wanting to travel to Wollongong. You know what guys, the first thing that our recruitment staff and/or Flanno should ask blokes before they get into the nitty gritty of signing up with us is - "Would driving to the Gong be a problem?" If they say yes, then stop any further talks and tell all and sundry that the Dragons are not interested in the guy and put an end to any further speculation.

If Gutho has a problem then stop any further talks. It is a joke. If guys are keen to join us they can rent their own place out and rent a place in the Gong for the period they are signed to the club. What have others done? What about Cook? He probably has a house in the Eastern Suburbs or thereabouts when he played for Souths for 9 years. He now has to either drive to the Gong from his house or as I said, rent his out and lease one in the Gong. I am sure the club have got their contacts. I remember working in a real estate office west of Parra and I arranged for a house to be available for Parra Leagues to rent it on behalf of players - no probs and all easy. Any damage etc., the Club pays for it.

Anyway, for the club to have a smooth year or years, they need all of the players, their partners, their wives, their families to be happy being part of the St George Illawarra Dragons for success to be occur and be ongoing.
It would be great to introduce a bullet-fast train to transport people between Wollongong and the proposed Kograh International Sports Statdium.

Before you ask, I wrote to the NSW Minister for Transport requesting the building of this sports complex and the bullet train service.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Saints should give up on Gutho and move for Selwyn Cobbo. He will be a far better option and has plenty of upside. He is not happy there and under Flanno would excel as an NRL player. Broncos want to extend Staggs so it is a no brainer.

Mojo

Bench
What about the schools, colleges, restaurants, wine bars, pubs, theatres, clubs lol the Steelers Club would turn anyone off, unemployment rate, employment opportunities or are beaches the be all and end all for making a decision to relocate your family?
It’s only two or three years. Then he can retire or semi-retire and live anywhere they like. His first kid would be six years old.
Personally, I’d have loved to be facing such a dilemma at that stage in life. Presumably he’s been commuting from the peninsula to parramatta for the past x number of years.
… and I don’t even care one way or the other whether we recruit him or not.

PS: beaches are a very high priority.

Reactions: jak

TruSaint

Referee
Honestly, It may be an issue for some, but I ask myself what a potential player would think if we were a competitive side.

Would the Gong be an obstacle ?

Darius Boyd, Nathan Fein, Jeremy Smith, Nev Costigan, J Saffy all integral in our last title came to the JV at the lure of winning. There were no rumblings of disharmony.

I know Wayne Bennett is good but I doubt he redeveloped the Gong in time to bring in game changes. I am fairly confident that any player worth his salt would jump at a chance if he felt that the Club was poised to succeed.

It's been said at nauseam. We are not a destination Club due to years of neglect by an inept board. If Flanno can turn us around and is given time, players will come. Not all. Some won't leave their safety zone and that's fine.

Crush

Coach
You wouldn’t want to be driving from Northern Beaches to gong but from Shire to gong is fine.
Gutho could rent in shire for a few years, half the team lives in shire.

cussy

Juniors
Yo uh
seriously have no idea bro.