What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Old Timer

Coach
Dont know the answer to your last question but you dont either.
But travelling to and from the shire to Wollongong CBD is only 45 mins (Sutherland) and 1 hr (Cronulla) if they choose Sydney and play for us
It can take that long travelling across Sydney in peak hour depending where they live and which club they play / train
Would it be fair to say that if the Gong had such appeal as people attest to in this place and the commute was as easy as people say it is it shouldn’t be hard rattle off a few players names who live in the Gong and playing for Sydney based clubs seeing you have around 210 players at Sydney based clubs to choose from.

Old Timer

Coach
So your basing the whole opinion of the Illawarra on the Steelers club….#dumbass
Not at all.

For all the Gong supposedly has to offer the Steelers lasted all of 17 years & won 3 spoons and left a shit hole of a club for the members.

If things are as great as you say they are down that way then why is it they attracted very little talent and ultimately folded?

The people of Wollongong and the Illawarra sent you broke and I dare say if not for the strength of St George and its rich legacy and fanatical supporters this franchise would have gone under long ago but the Illawarra has now managed to get it bent over and on its knees ready for a right royal you know what.

The Illawarra is incapable of standing alone because high quality NRL players have avoided it ad nauseaum and many of the best players the vast area has produced have chosen to play elsewhere and that is the very reason that Penrith & Cronulla got included in 66 and why the Steelers ultimately collapsed.

Crush

Coach
For you that is true but you’re not a high quality 1st grade NRL player who has options.

TBH the proximity to Sydney is probably one of the stumbling blocks.

Newcastle & Canberra are that bit further away so some extra $$$$ in your contract make a move to their more palatable.

Living in Sydney and commuting and putting up wth the cross city traffic plus the Sutherland to the Gong sector which can be tiresome means that quality Sydney based players choose not to do it.

How many Sydney teams have players commuting from the Gong to them?
You may be surprised to learn that James Tedesco, DCE, Cameron Munster and Reece Walsh all live in Wollongong and commute daily.

BLM01

First Grade
Would it be fair to say that if the Gong had such appeal as people attest to in this place and the commute was as easy as people say it is it shouldn’t be hard rattle off a few players names who live in the Gong and playing for Sydney based clubs seeing you have around 210 players at Sydney based clubs to choose from.
You cannot compare Wollongong to Sydney in to what it offers just on size and population and having more of what young people like to do argument alone.
Of course if they get accomm in Sydney, play in Sydney why would they need to travel km's (its not time its the perception of distance there)
Your unsubstantiated no idea statements are
1. Wollongong is a shole
2. People of Wollongong and Illawarra region sent the ARL Illawarra Steelers football club broke (I suppose lucky both BOD's get off so lightly)
3. No players of note want to live and come and play for the St George Illawarra Dragons. Plenty of great names have since 1998.
STOP THERE
You need to stop living in what happened in the 80's and 90's as wrong as you are about that and using it as your basis for now. BTW it is 2024 in case its been that long since you have stepped out.
Blame our club for not attracting talent not categorise a beautiful place to live when you have not experienced it
Notice how no one is bagging Sydney. I grew up right next to you in Peakhurst before moving bush and could say a thing or too to categorise Sydney in 2024 but wont as it has its great spots too.

cussy

Juniors
Not at all.

For all the Gong supposedly has to offer the Steelers lasted all of 17 years & won 3 spoons and left a shit hole of a club for the members.

If things are as great as you say they are down that way then why is it they attracted very little talent and ultimately folded?

The people of Wollongong and the Illawarra sent you broke and I dare say if not for the strength of St George and its rich legacy and fanatical supporters this franchise would have gone under long ago but the Illawarra has now managed to get it bent over and on its knees ready for a right royal you know what.

The Illawarra is incapable of standing alone because high quality NRL players have avoided it ad nauseaum and many of the best players the vast area has produced have chosen to play elsewhere and that is the very reason that Penrith & Cronulla got included in 66 and why the Steelers ultimately collapsed.

Bro - i was always a St George supporter. Again your ignorance is showing more and more- so you are basing everything about the Illawarra on the football team…so dumb

Overseadragon

Juniors
Nothing wrong with a beaten up old Datsun, JubileeJeffro. I had a 180B back in the day. Sunroof, mag wheels and a CB radio. I was the envy of the western suburbs. It even had a little knob you pulled out and the accelerator pedal went down. Bit like a manual cruise control. Ah, those were the days.
180b sss yes triple carbys nearly got killed in it was 3yrs off work 6operations oh yes I remember my Datsun

Gareth67

First Grade
Just on Gutherson and his possible reluctance to travel to Wollongong as he resides near the Northern beaches , I am sure that he could quite easily rent his property out for the duration of his contract .

As another member ( ? ) mentioned during the week the Dragons will move heaven and earth to ensure that new signings and their families are well provided for when moving to the Wollongong district .

But I suppose it would depend upon whether or not his children are settled into their schools or at still at an age where a move South would not affect them too adversely.

Mojo

Bench
Just on Gutherson and his possible reluctance to travel to Wollongong as he resides near the Northern beaches , I am sure that he could quite easily rent his property out for the duration of his contract .

As another member ( ? ) mentioned during the week the Dragons will move heaven and earth to ensure that new signings and their families are well provided for when moving to the Wollongong district .

But I suppose it would depend upon whether or not his children are settled into their schools or at still at an age where a move South would not affect them too adversely.
He has one 3 year old daughter.

maestro1

Bench
I think Wendall Sailor lived in the Gong when he was at our club. His son Tristan went to Edmund Rice College. Jeremy Smith lived in Towradgi when he played here. As did Paul Vaughan, Mick Weyman, and I think Jacob Liddle moved down here as did Tyson Frizzell, Widdop.

Latest posts