What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

since77

Juniors
Honestly I dont suggest even reading the media predicting teams.. they have NFI.. tbh even listening to Bloke in a bar talk about our season.. these guys r pretty switched on, but they still arent close enough to really see whats happening.. for example they think Lawrie not playing is a Flanno change of direction.. even these guys who analyse for a living.. theyre analysing 17 teams.. and just not close enough to really get whos performing, which jrs will come thru etc.

On top of that, there will be atleast 4 more changes between now and kickoff.. possibly more.. cant really predict teams till next year.
It amazes me sometimes that it seems a lot of these "journalists" who cover footy for a living seem to watch so little footy. I honestly think most of them watch maybe a full game or 2 - the blockbusters and for the "minor" games they just watch the highlights and maybe not even that. Then they depend on stats to come up with who's playing well and who isn't. Sometimes I hear or read media commentators talk about a player in our team and think they have to be watching a completely different team to the team we watch every game to come up with the just plain wrong opinions they come up with. Anyone who suggests Lawrie should be in our top 17 (let alone on our roster at all) has NFI and obviously didn't watch him plod pathetically through his games this year.

TheRev

Coach
The way its panned out, I am wondering if the trade opportunities dried up.. and we just have to do it another way.. but it is possible we are in talks seperately and just need him on the market so numbers can be discussed.

The SMH article says its for 2026, but thats not my understanding.. this is a 2025 thing surely.. i think its just unofficial, a bit like Guthos release.

Gareth67

First Grade
The way its panned out, I am wondering if the trade opportunities dried up.. and we just have to do it another way.. but it is possible we are in talks seperately and just need him on the market so numbers can be discussed.

The SMH article says its for 2026, but thats not my understanding.. this is a 2025 thing surely.. i think its just unofficial, a bit like Guthos release.
Agree with you Rev , he has more negatives than positives at his age for any possible suitors. The way I see it is he may receive another season after ‘25 with another club , but that would be it and he would be expected to play where his new coach deems fit - not exclusively at halfback .

We can only hope that perhaps Dessie still has a soft spot for him as I don’t believe that Maguire from the Broncos would .

Although there’s away the far flung possibility that the Kumas could use him in the new Papuan New Guinea consortium ? ? ? 🤔

TruSaint

Referee

Finally, the board have developed a fricken backbone. 2 plus years of " I dont wanna be here ", and they can see that keeping this mug has only one upside. Him playing hooker at rep level. Happy to cop a tough year if it means changing the culture at this rotten place.

8129271a-ae2c-4dba-a827-786a59112767_text.gif

justadragon

Bench
This is great news, also the point of "a leaking campaign to undermine his position at the club" so all of us that have watched him play over the last 6 years have no idea of how bad he was, and what he has done to this club. We had to make stories up and leak them out just so we could get rid of him. Please will someone take him PLEASE !!!

Jubilee

Juniors
Agree with you Rev , he has more negatives than positives at his age for any possible suitors. The way I see it is he may receive another season after ‘25 with another club , but that would be it and he would be expected to play where his new coach deems fit - not exclusively at halfback .

We can only hope that perhaps Dessie still has a soft spot for him as I don’t believe that Maguire from the Broncos would .

Although there’s away the far flung possibility that the Kumas could use him in the new Papuan New Guinea consortium ? ? ? 🤔
He might be good value at hooker for some team.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If Hunt leaves on the back of Lomax, and hopefully Lawrie and Rava join them, it will be an interesting year 2025 and a new beginning I feel. Flanno really looking to make changes which is promising especially the culture of this team. I can see Rava heading over to England. He will kill it there. Lawrie may do so as well that is if he gets any offer to go there.

The Saints spine can possibly be totally different next season with Gutho (if he comes to FB), new half to partner Flanno at 7, and Cook at 9. We can then see if the forwards are really that bad or the spine was simply not good enough to capitalise. If it all goes pear shape then Flanno may be under pressure but if he succeeds he will be a genius in my eyes making so many changes to the team after 1 season in charge and getting rid of 2 of their highest profile players.

Jubilee

Juniors
If Hunt leaves on the back of Lomax, and hopefully Lawrie and Rava join them, it will be an interesting year 2025 and a new beginning I feel. Flanno really looking to make changes which is promising especially the culture of this team. I can see Rava heading over to England. He will kill it there. Lawrie may do so as well that is if he gets any offer to go there.

The Saints spine can possibly be totally different next season with Gutho (if he comes to FB), new half to partner Flanno at 7, and Cook at 9. We can then see if the forwards are really that bad or the spine was simply not good enough to capitalise. If it all goes pear shape then Flanno may be under pressure but if he succeeds he will be a genius in my eyes making so many changes to the team after 1 season in charge and getting rid of 2 of their highest profile players.
If all the pieces fall into place, the backs look pretty good. Now how high would you go to get Leo Thompson (for example)? Good props are like hen's teeth.

TruSaint

Referee
If Hunt does not get a decent offer, that may also be a huge kick in his backside and make him lift his game next season to get interest or at least an extension. Well played Saints.

Depends if he wants to keep playing.

If he wants another contract as he's now 34. Another contract elsewhere may give him another 1-2 years. No one will want a 37 year old on their books.

I hope he goes. He overplayed his hand and we called his bluff. He has milked this Club way too long. My feeling is Flanno knows he needs to change course and plan for a total reboot. That means no B Hunt.

Latest posts