What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

justadragon

Bench
I really hope this can be sorted before preseason starts, it would be a nightmare to carry him over into next year. The total situation is untenable. I hang my head in shame that this is the way I feel about a Dragons captain, thinking back to the magnificent men that have had that honour. To want him out in this way does truly break my heart, not for Hunt himself but for the stain he will leave behind. He undoubtedly has been the worst signing ever, for him to continually rag doll the club, I could never forgive him. To think of him as an elite player, a man of substance and a mentor to our junior brigade makes me sick, he has achieved none of that at this great club whilst getting paid a million dollars a year for the privilege.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
I really hope this can be sorted before preseason starts, it would be a nightmare to carry him over into next year. The total situation is untenable. I hang my head in shame that this is the way I feel about a Dragons captain, thinking back to the magnificent men that have had that honour. To want him out in this way does truly break my heart, not for Hunt himself but for the stain he will leave behind. He undoubtedly has been the worst signing ever, for him to continually rag doll the club, I could never forgive him. To think of him as an elite player, a man of substance and a mentor to our junior brigade makes me sick, he has achieved none of that at this great club whilst getting paid a million dollars a year for the privilege.
It’s a business mate.

Hes not providing a good ROI.

The Club has known who he is for nearly a decade.

It’s on the Club and that being the case, it’s hardly surprising it is what it is.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Loks like that game of chess is well and truly playing out.

However, for us to be free of Hunt, we do have to be on our game, so to speak.

Hunt is on around $750k for 25' (this is what i've been told, plus he has no ratchet clauses in his current contract).
A new club would have to get close to this number and extend to 2yrs (ie: $1.5m). In saying that I believe a club who could offer him say $1.1m over 2yrs with us chipping in say $400k for '25, would be attractive to Hunt (and to us, as it would represent a $350k positive to our cap)

Given that Hunt has been given permission, and we are/have taken with Gutho (and others), there isn't room for both, to which I believe that Gutho represents higher ROI over 2yrs than another season with BHunt.

TruSaint

Referee
We dont know that yet for sure. We dont know what Flanno has planned. I ask you this , would it be tougher with Hunt there ?

Short term pain, long term gain.

This is a line in the sand moment for us. Yes it makes us vulnerable next season, but lets be honest, ladder wise it really doesn't change much.

What it does ( and should have been last year ), is send a message that no one player is above the badge. If this guy had as much pride in the jumper as he has football ability, we wouldn't be here. I am of the belief that we will be better off without him. Leaders like Su'a, Cook, and maybe Gutho can take control of a game.

The much maligned Corey Norman's highlight reel for us, is greater than Hunts. Clutch moments he wn us two games in a row, one in golden point.

Ever since this debacle started I wanted him out. My posts in here are clear. I can't fathom cheering a Captain that doesn't want to be at our Club.

Jubilee

Juniors
Hunt is on around $750k for 25' (this is what i've been told, plus he has no ratchet clauses in his current contract).
A new club would have to get close to this number and extend to 2yrs (ie: $1.5m). In saying that I believe a club who could offer him say $1.1m over 2yrs with us chipping in say $400k for '25, would be attractive to Hunt (and to us, as it would represent a $350k positive to our cap)

2025 - Hunt gets his $750k and goes elsewhere, meaning we tip in, say, $300k and his new club pays him $450.
2026 - New club pays him whatever they agree, it isn't our problem.

For us to pay $300k or even $400k to get his slot back would be great/acceptable to me.

TruSaint

Referee
2025 - Hunt gets his $750k and goes elsewhere, meaning we tip in, say, $300k and his new club pays him $450.
2026 - New club pays him whatever they agree, it isn't our problem.

For us to pay $300k or even $400k to get his slot back would be great/acceptable to me.

You're much more level headed than I am. Fair call.
If he stays next year ( I don't think he will ), he can't be Captain.
Give it to Su'a and let him sook through 2025.

Gareth67

First Grade
He might be good value at hooker for some team.
That he would Jubliee , it’s just a damn shame that he could not do likewise for the club that he has captained for yonks now .

He would for his beloved Queensland team , but not the Dragons.

If some fool north of the border wishes to outlay good money on his services , then I say may the good lawd bless them and good riddance to the little whiner !

Last edited:

TheRev

Coach
Short term pain, long term gain.

This is a line in the sand moment for us. Yes it makes us vulnerable next season, but lets be honest, ladder wise it really doesn't change much.
Yep this is it.. even if its a tough 2025 (and I think its going to be very very tough regardless of Hunt), better to cut him out now and move forward. I don't want his negativity around our boys anymore... time for a fresh start.

Dragons4me

Juniors
Honestly I dont suggest even reading the media predicting teams.. they have NFI.. tbh even listening to Bloke in a bar talk about our season.. these guys r pretty switched on, but they still arent close enough to really see whats happening.. for example they think Lawrie not playing is a Flanno change of direction.. even these guys who analyse for a living.. theyre analysing 17 teams.. and just not close enough to really get whos performing, which jrs will come thru etc.

On top of that, there will be atleast 4 more changes between now and kickoff.. possibly more.. cant really predict teams till next year.

Not a fan of bloke in a bar. I don't believe they watch every NRL game to be an expert. Also the swearing really puts me off, and I'm not a prude. Reminds me of that know-all bloke who suddenly finds an audience and thinks swearing makes him a something. Keep it for the pub fellas, where no-one gives a shit.

Latest posts