What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

TruSaint

Referee
No not saying Hook was good bad or otherwise just a point of reference re results.

The 5 hit ups and useless bomb started under Mary if not mistaken once Widdop was injured the 1st time Hunt took in the senior role and stuffed it up.

The Hunt kicking issues and lack of game management are best seen in the last 10 minutes of the G F the Broncos lost to the Cowboys.

Everyone thinks it was lost with the dropped ball in extra time in reality Hunt should have controlled the game better and won it normal time.

OT,

Re results.

Coaching success rates with us. Griffin 38 % . Mary and Flanno 46 %. In my opinion, we played the most bland, predictable football under Griffin, yet Mary is much more maligned.

I agree with your assessment of our (c) ... Hunt.

Last edited:

Mojo

Bench
No not saying Hook was good bad or otherwise just a point of reference re results.

The 5 hit ups and useless bomb started under Mary if not mistaken once Widdop was injured the 1st time Hunt took in the senior role and stuffed it up.

The Hunt kicking issues and lack of game management are best seen in the last 10 minutes of the G F the Broncos lost to the Cowboys.

Everyone thinks it was lost with the dropped ball in extra time in reality Hunt should have controlled the game better and won it normal time.
Yes, but Hook was baaaad.

maestro1

Bench
FFS I’m not defending Hook nor am I denying his love affair with has beens.

I’m merely pointing out the truth of the matter.

People trying to be so enthusiastic about the S F results and how miraculous it all was and how we almost made the 8.

The squad this year was substantially better than we had in 2022.

Many in here saying S F unhinged Lomax, improved Suli & Sua, how great K F was for us etc etc

The truth is we had a soft draw, a better side, 1 more game, got the 2 best sides during origin and we didn’t nearly make the 8 we fell well short in 11th spot with a pathetic differential.

Talk it up all you like S F had a season comparable to dinosaur Hook in 2022 and Ben Hunt ran the side just as he always has with no change and was kept for yet another season.

Hopefully S F has a better year in 2025 and that Cook & Holmes fire for us but 2024 was ordinary and S F knows it and he even admits it even if posters in this place don’t.

Just because we finished higher than the idiots in the media said we would doesn’t make it a successful year.

I dare say S F would agree more with my view of last season than the sycophants who are easily pleased.

I actually believe S F would be pretty pissed off and that is a real good thing in my book.
I thought we'd struggle to win 5 games in 2024. The 2022 side was marginally better with McInnes as our captain, Cody Ramsay, and Tariq Sims. Junior Amone also had a good first season and then nosedived pretty dramatically. The lone fact that McInnes was Captain made that team a better team. McInnes, led by example, and always came up with plays that wrestled momentum back to us and he made 50 + tackles a game. The middle was pretty secure when he played. Plus the pack was a stronger pack defensively. There wasn't a lot in it, but the 2022 side was slightly better and Ben Hunt was younger and quicker and Ravalawa had a pretty good season.

BlackDuckSaint

Juniors
I thought we'd struggle to win 5 games in 2024. The 2022 side was marginally better with McInnes as our captain, Cody Ramsay, and Tariq Sims. Junior Amone also had a good first season and then nosedived pretty dramatically. The lone fact that McInnes was Captain made that team a better team. McInnes, led by example, and always came up with plays that wrestled momentum back to us and he made 50 + tackles a game. The middle was pretty secure when he played. Plus the pack was a stronger pack defensively. There wasn't a lot in it, but the 2022 side was slightly better and Ben Hunt was younger and quicker and Ravalawa had a pretty good season.
McInnes signed with the sharks for 2022... Hunt was made Captain in Hooks First year in 2021 after McInnes did his ACL in the 2021 pre-season. He never played under Hook.

mattw5

Juniors
1. I don't know what our salary cap situation is but my guess this could only happen if Hunt went in a swap.
2. This would still not fix Brisbane's well known cap problem with Staggs and Cobbo

I feel Staggs would be surplus to requirements also it’s a bit unprofessional to have him come to do you if you want him make the trip to Brisbane & speak with him much like we did with Holmes.

TheRev

Coach
We have no guarantee of landing Gutho or JAC etc.. im not surprised we would atleast be entertaining all options given our strike-rate.

I am worried about our centre-depth, but unless Holmes is definitely fullback.. a gun centre wouldnt be my first choice.. mind you we are also talking about 2026 probably... in that case.. i think u put your hat in the ring, and sort it out later.

Geez I hate dwelling on our recent past failures - makes the off season so disheartening.

Back to the rumours

As a human being I do not endorse this clown Ezra Mam however when I read this headline, as both a Saints and Bowie fan, I recalled the lyrics of Sufragette City

Ohhh, wham bam thank you Mam

Last edited:

Jubilee

Juniors
This all reflects a comment that SF made during the last pre-season to the effect that every year unexpected recruitment opportunities arise so you need to keep your powder dry.

My question is how much dry powder do we have at the moment? I suspect our buying power is tied up at the moment with people we don't want - Hunt, Laurie, Ravawalla...there is maybe $2m straight away.

Jubilee

Juniors
On the other hand, the name of the game is "musical chairs", so with more of these clowns out there floating around, this could pressure some of them to our advantage. There is only so much cap money out there to go around so they may see it as first up, best dressed.

maestro1

Bench
McInnes signed with the sharks for 2022... Hunt was made Captain in Hooks First year in 2021 after McInnes did his ACL in the 2021 pre-season. He never played under Hook.
My bad. I didn't realise McInnes has been gone that long. Anthony Griffin commenced coaching the Dragons in season 2021. McInnes departed for Cronulla for season 2022.

Last edited:

justadragon

Bench
I feel Staggs would be surplus to requirements also it’s a bit unprofessional to have him come to do you if you want him make the trip to Brisbane & speak with him much like we did with Holmes.
Maybe we have been talking to him and he wanted to come and check a few things out.

Latest posts