What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

BLM01

First Grade
The talk about only being able to get 1 of them is just paper talk and Flanno keeping his cards to his chest. If we get Gutho and JAC is happy with the 2 years, we'll get both. But Flanno won't budge on some things. I doubt he'll give JAC 3:years.
Of course 3 years with the way he carries on is too big a risk. I am sure when he went to the Dogs he said or the right things to Gus too.
2 years is a risk too but we need speed so Id take it at around 450K-500K

TheRev

Coach
Flanagan saying he will have an answer from Gutherson about 2025 when he returns from a family holiday next week.
JAC fronting the Bulldog's board next week.
Our recruitment picture for 2025 will have a lot more clarity come November.
It potentially all happens very quickly, after months of no news.

The hunt part of the saga however could also kick off in november (completely seperate to gutho/jac/lodge), i just dont know if its realistic that we could source a replacement half good enough to be our starting 6 or 7 that would start immediately.

So many spinning plates.. Flanno is also recruiting a bunch of staff at the same time...

BLM01

First Grade
It potentially all happens very quickly, after months of no news.

The hunt part of the saga however could also kick off in november (completely seperate to gutho/jac/lodge), i just dont know if its realistic that we could source a replacement half good enough to be our starting 6 or 7 that would start immediately.

So many spinning plates.. Flanno is also recruiting a bunch of staff at the same time...
Yep..he has been let off the BOD leash

Parko1310

Juniors
Rumour...Dont follow the media to the letter of the law
Ben Hunt has played his last game for us...note..that may not include training.
Surely we'll be looking at a swap deal.

Most likely destination you would think would have to be the Broncs if he does go.. in that case they can hand over Willison.

Dolphins wouldn't in a million years give us Katoa, Plath or a forgotten man Tom Gilbert, but I suppose the question could be asked nonetheless. Averillo probably the most likely there, Bostock and Isaako maybe outside chances? Someone in their backs won't make the squad next year with Junior Tupou going there, and they're all first graders.

Dogs I'd be looking for a Sexton swap.

Roosters probably least likely option, but they are cashed up. There's a few options there like Whyte, Wong, Sandon Smith just to name a few.

TheRev

Coach
There is no swap we can discuss though until we secure a 7..I'd love to think Atkinson is on board and we're just waiting for Nov 1..but we can't approach the sharks for permission to release yet.. And we can't talk numbers either.. Plus were never quick on landing our targets.. I just don't see this resolving for 3 weeks atleast..

And the longer it goes, the harder it's going to be to pull off swap deals with other clubs..

Jubilee

Juniors
There is no swap we can discuss though until we secure a 7..I'd love to think Atkinson is on board and we're just waiting for Nov 1..but we can't approach the sharks for permission to release yet.. And we can't talk numbers either.. Plus were never quick on landing our targets.. I just don't see this resolving for 3 weeks atleast..

And the longer it goes, the harder it's going to be to pull off swap deals with other clubs..
I don't mind waiting until 2026 for Atkinson. But Cronulla could let him go bcs aside from Hynes and Trindall they have also just signed half baçk Niwhai Puru. They have lots of.coverage in that position.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Rumour...Dont follow the media to the letter of the law
Ben Hunt has played his last game for us...note..that may not include training.
This is the only sane conclusion from this sorry mess. Flanno can't hope to put the genie back in the bottle and talk as if we're all misinterpreting the negativity emanating from Hunt in particular and that there is a good relationship between Hunt, Flanno and the club in general for 2025.

Cut Hunt loose but if possible, try to get something for his services- if not, still let him go. He's a disease infecting the club.

Jubilee

Juniors
This is the only sane conclusion from this sorry mess. Flanno can't hope to put the genie back in the bottle and talk as if we're all misinterpreting the negativity emanating from Hunt in particular and that there is a good relationship between Hunt, Flanno and the club in general for 2025.

Cut Hunt loose but if possible, try to get something for his services- if not, still let him go. He's a disease infecting the club.
We may think Hunt is toxic but how toxic must Bateman be at Tigers? Fox News claims Manly want him and Tigers will put up $650k of his salary. What is wrong with him? Does p*ss in the whirlpool?

At least we can get rid of Hunt without a payout.

TheRev

Coach
I still think Hunt staying is possible if the other 7 options we are chasing dont come off.. but I do agree it could get ugly quickly.. especially after a few losses... just seems like there is a risk the friction creates an unhappy camp... and derailing the season, which is a worst case scenario.

And yes I think we have a tonne of cash to burn.. no point banking it... and a good winger would be a luxury but a welcome one.. I think parra are in for a bit of a shock when they realise Lomax cant accelerate into a corner either.. its gonna be a revelation because its just assumed all wingers can do that.. same with CTui (though tbf he can run over ppl instead), its one thing I notice watching saints is when we open up 5m of exposed tryline, but our wingers just cant 'get there' before the defence does.. its like they r in quicksand.. its not top speed, its acceleration. When I watch other teams with any semblence of speed.. its an easy 4pts.

maestro1

Bench
I still think Hunt staying is possible if the other 7 options we are chasing dont come off.. but I do agree it could get ugly quickly.. especially after a few losses... just seems like there is a risk the friction creates an unhappy camp... and derailing the season, which is a worst case scenario.

And yes I think we have a tonne of cash to burn.. no point banking it... and a good winger would be a luxury but a welcome one.. I think parra are in for a bit of a shock when they realise Lomax cant accelerate into a corner either.. its gonna be a revelation because its just assumed all wingers can do that.. same with CTui (though tbf he can run over ppl instead), its one thing I notice watching saints is when we open up 5m of exposed tryline, but our wingers just cant 'get there' before the defence does.. its like they r in quicksand.. its not top speed, its acceleration. When I watch other teams with any semblence of speed.. its an easy 4pts.
Like when we had BMoz and Tingha before that. Those two only needed a sniff and it was trying time. How I miss having speed in our backline......
1. Darius
2. BMoz
3. Gaz
4. Cooper
5. Nightingale (not incredibly quick, but quicker than most thought and could find the tryline).
6. Sowie
7. Hornby ....... reasonably quick for a half.

maestro1

Bench

This is beyond dysfunctional.

The coach wants to persevere with a captain who is taking swipes at the coach’s son and embroil another tired legs player from the Eels who doesn’t even want to come here.

Mite the mess of all messes.
Clint Gutherson isn't running on tired legs. He played with a leg injury and a rib injury this last season. Nothing that an off season can't fix. As for not wanting to come, he obviously would have preferred to finish his career at Parra, but I'm sure that if he decides to join us, he will give it everything. He is that type of player. He competes and wants to win and he is a very smart leader. Just what we need.