What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Salary Cap and the not the Salary Cap

Danish

Referee
If they want to crack down on cap rorting, they need to do something about ex-players taking official roles with clubs in the seasons immediately following their retirement.

"Hi player, I see you are looking for your last contract. Sign with us for 3 years @ $200,000 a year. After that we'll hire you as our backs coach for $400,000 for one year."

Every club would be doing this.

If the job is guaranteed then that is already taken into account. I believe that was one of the things the Warriors got done for. They guaranteed Steve Price a job after retirement for taking a lower salary during his playing days.

Its impossible to stop anyway unless the player is getting paid well above what market value is for a coaching position

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
So there is some sort of agreement.

There is a Salary cap for players. We all want followed.

There is no Salary cap on the rest, and that is ok.

The richer clubs will always offer more, in the "extras"

Again, I do not talk paper bags, the intangibles, the coach, the assistant, the facilities, the chance to be a strong team, the chance to meet others, the chance for rep games by playing in a strong team, the extras is what makes a deal.

Well at least to those whom are good and being chased by many.

If the job is guaranteed then that is already taken into account. I believe that was one of the things the Warriors got done for. They guaranteed Steve Price a job after retirement for taking a lower salary during his playing days.

Its impossible to stop anyway unless the player is getting paid well above what market value is for a coaching position

It is also what Nigel Vagana in trouble ages ago as he had a similar provision written into one of his contracts. Just can't remember which clubs he was at when it was reported off the tof of my head.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Couldnt agree more
LeBron James, Tom Brady, Lionel Messi... if those guys can cope with their salaries being made public and being accountable for their performance against that salary, im sure little old Greg Inglis will be able to cope

Thing is once the salaries are public. Player x doesn't want to be seen publicly as getting less than player y. So 3rd party agreements are harder to sneak in.

alien

Referee
some clubs are just more professional than others. a club should be able to run itself as well as possible. they shouldn't ever be told that they can only be run as professional as the not so professional clubs. that would be oppression, and it isn't the National Communist League. if it was like that then clubs could just run unprofessionally and know that they would still be on equal terms with the other clubs. the salary cap makes it so some rich clubs (like brisbane) can't buy an unbeatable squad with 20 world class players. it means atleast a few clubs at the top of the ladder have a decent chance of winning the premiership, but it doesn't and shouldn't necessarily mean that all the teams in the comp are as strong as each other.