What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The search for a 2012 5/8 thread

Gronk

Staff member
Ok so we have a half back. Welcome Chris ! :D

Candidates for 2012 5/8 are currently as follows:-

• Daniel Mortimer
  • Jarryd Hayne
  • Casey Maguire
  • Tom Humble
  • Brad Murray
  • Reni Maitua
or an outside signing.

Thoughts ?

pedge

Juniors

• Daniel Mortimer
  • Jarryd Hayne
  • Casey Maguire
  • Tom Humble
  • Brad Murray
  • Reni Maitua
or an outside signing.

Thoughts ?

I still live in hope that we did a Canterbury on the storm and bumped up duffies price so we can sign Widdop
Somehow, I don’t think they will be letting him go anytime soon :(

Freak2

Juniors
You can take off that list anyone who is not 5' 11' and weighs less than 90KG's.

mickdo

Coach
Undoubtedly Mortimer will be given first crack. It would be interesting to see how he would go with Sandow at 7, and whether SK would use them as a left/right pairing or have Sandow as primary playmaker. I sure hope its the latter.

Glenn

First Grade
Wouldn't mind Morts being given a shot, where he has a attacking half back beside him which would allow him to play his natural game.

MrT

Juniors

• Daniel Mortimer
  • Jarryd Hayne
  • Casey Maguire
  • Tom Humble
  • Brad Murray
  • Reni Maitua
or an outside signing.

Thoughts ?

who said we won't sign one

Please get Hopa and move himm to full back and move Hayne to 6

Gronk

Staff member
who said we won't sign one

Please get Hopa and move himm to full back and move Hayne to 6

Yep the Hoppa/Hayne scenario works for me.

Personally I'm liking the way that Widdop and Zillman have transitioned to 6. I think it would work for Hayne as well, if he can leave his ego in the carpark.

Gronk

Staff member
Marmin Barba, perhaps for 2013

Is there a 5/8 his size in the NRL ? I think there is good a reason why Ben Barba and Preston Campbell have done best at FB rather than any other position.

caylo

Bench
I think while Mortimer has improved he is not the type of player that will suit Sandow, I am of the belief that Sandow needs a more genuine 5-8 so can ball play while Sandow ill take care of the Majority of the kicking.

We have Humble and MaGuire who can fill these roles and someone like Roberts or Widdop are options. If we can keep MaGuire and Humble (assuming the guys plays some footy this year) we may be better off looking at a jnr player rather then going for a more experienced 5-8 (considering we have paid 100K/year more for Sandow then our initial 300K offer).

We must also consider we probably are in the market for a back (hoppa hopefully) and a backrower aswell.

Parraren

Bench
If we sign Hopoate there is a very strong chance Hayne will move to 5/8 imo.

Widdop would be the other target, as he can play either fullback or 5/8 thus giving us a bit of flexibility.

Latest posts