What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The sequel disease

I prefer to buy Blu rays just for the sound quality streaming services lack that sound quality..

When it comes to tech specs...I'm a basic kind of guy. My movies on demand are whims, go in to spare room, pick a film, sit back and watch.

I tend to gravitate to stuff from my youth. A - I grew up and loved that stuff. B - they're 90 minutes I can squeeze in after kids go to bed and before I fall asleep. Modern action films and Marvel movies go on for days and days and days...2 1/2 - 3 hour films I can't watch in a time-poor single viewing.

bileduct

Coach
I like owning a physical copy. Music, movies and TV.

I don't use Netflix or Stan or any of those.

Only thing I watch on TV is live sport...NRL, Cricket and bits and pieces of NFL, MLB, NBA or soccer. Or SBS Viceland. And Harrow on ABC.

I find now there are more options, I watch less and less.
I used to prefer owning physical copies, now I don't give a shit unless I find there's some real value in owning them, like extra features that are actually interesting which is rarely the case.

I went from having thousands of CDs and DVDs to watching digital copies of everything. It wasn't a cost thing either, it was the convenience provided by a home downloading/streaming setup like Sonarr+NZBGet+PlexTV+ChomeCast or a commercial service like Netflix, etc. as opposed to fumbling around with discs and players. Same with music.

I tapped out not long after BluRays appeared.

I used to prefer owning physical copies, now I don't give a shit unless I find there's some real value in owning them, like extra features that are actually interesting which is rarely the case.

I went from having thousands of CDs and DVDs to watching digital copies of everything. It wasn't a cost thing either, it was the convenience provided by a home downloading/streaming setup like Sonarr+NZBGet+PlexTV+ChomeCast or a commercial service like Netflix, etc. as opposed to fumbling around with discs and players. Same with music.

I tapped out not long after BluRays appeared.

Totally understand.

99% of people I know do the same now.

That said, since many of them did that, I've benefitted by getting their CD and DVD collections...

Springs09

Juniors
I find physical copies to be more convenient. I prefer being able to watch the movie I want at any time. Also where I live data is still expensive and limited.

Totally understand.

99% of people I know do the same now.

That said, since many of them did that, I've benefitted by getting their CD and DVD collections...

Do they have digital copies of all of them? Some of my DVDs I wouldn't care about getting rid of, but some are quite valuable. I'd never get rid of my LOTR extended DVDs for example. Also, with CDs, while all I really use them for is to put them on iTunes, they are the best back-up copies available. I've had hard drives and back-ups f**k up and lose all my stuff before, but got them back because I kept all my CDs.

With streaming, I sincerely hope that it's never the only option and there's always a way you can own your favourite media, either physically or digitally.

Matua

Bench
I prefer to buy Blu rays just for the sound quality streaming services lack that sound quality..
I'm weird in that I'm not a sound guy ... I'm fine with loud sound in a cinema, but at home I have the sound down quite low to the point that people who join me to watch always complain.

But, if the picture is a little bit grainy (and it's a recent film) I'll lose my shit. :D

Also I resisted streaming for ages but as I said in another post most of my movie watching is done at the cinema and streaming of TV (and odd movie) is done on the TV. The convenience for streaming wins for me now. I have PS4 games I want to play that I'm too lazy to get up and put in the PS4 so I only play the downloaded ones.

bileduct

Coach
I find physical copies to be more convenient. I prefer being able to watch the movie I want at any time. Also where I live data is still expensive and limited.
If you are internet constrained, then yeah, physical copies are still going to be necessity.

Once I moved from a 1.5Mbit connection to a 60Mbit+ connection with unlimited downloads there was just no real reason to buy a physical copy of anything anymore. There are portable players like the nVidia Shield and the WD Live TV that are far more convenient than a traditional BluRay player. With an official streaming service you don't need to worry about corrupt hard drives. With other non-official methods of getting stuff (like Usenet subscription and a good NZB indexer) you can pretty much download anything you want at any time, so again, no need to worry about corrupt hard drives.

I ripped my entire CD collection to MP3s before giving it to my sister. Later on I decided I wanted to have rips in the FLAC format and it was actually much easier to just download the whole lot using an NZB indexer than getting boxes of CDs back from her and ripping them myself.

bileduct

Coach
The convenience for streaming wins for me now. I have PS4 games I want to play that I'm too lazy to get up and put in the PS4 so I only play the downloaded ones.
Haha, yes. When I used to have CD changers in my car I'd always listen to the same CDs over and over because I was too lazy to change them, sometimes for years.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Incidentally, what do all you blokes do with your dvds/ blu rays. Like everyone else I used to collect em but gave up. You just end up swimming in a library of never to be watched again stuff in plastic cases.

I am never gong to watch Family Guy or the Office again. Is there a market for that stuff? Would salvos even take it? There is a premium at my joint for space.

bileduct

Coach
Incidentally, what do all you blokes do with your dvds/ blu rays. Like everyone else I used to collect em but gave up. You just end up swimming in a library of never to be watched again stuff in plastic cases.

I am never gong to watch Family Guy or the Office again. Is there a market for that stuff? Would salvos even take it? There is a premium at my joint for space.
You could take em in to one of those second hand stores like Revolution CD, but be prepared to get only a tiny fraction of what you paid for them.

A more noble endeavor would be to donate them to something like Lifeline. They resell stuff at book fairs. Going back about 6-7 years I had to get rid of my old Star Trek VHS collection of over 250 tapes. They'd stopped taking VHS as a rule by then, but were more than happy to take boxes of those f**kers off my hands because they knew they'd sell.

https://www.lifelinecanberra.org.au/bookfair/donating-books/

Other than that, sell em on ebay?

Edit: Actually I don't think ebay would even be worth your time unless you were selling them as an entire lot. The ebay market is saturated with popular used DVDs going for around $1 to $2 each. BluRays around $4 to $5. I wouldn't have the time to put up individual listings and then package and deliver shit at only $1 to $2 a pop.

Last edited:

Springs09

Juniors

Any DVDs I don't want I sell on ebay.

axl rose

Bench

Donated around 1000 (yeah, I know) of them to my church Thrift shop. They sold them pretty quick, alot of elderly people still buy them. Seems weird that that medium is dead, like it happened to fast or something idk. Now what to do with hundreds of RLW mags.

bileduct

Coach
Donated around 1000 (yeah, I know) of them to my church Thrift shop. They sold them pretty quick, alot of elderly people still buy them. Seems weird that that medium is dead, like it happened to fast or something idk.
VHS lasted about the same amount of time.

Latest posts