What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Sharks Finally Receive Some Recognition

deluded pom?

Coach
http://www.amnrl.com/news/colonial-cup-2

USA Squad for selection in Colonial Cup Game 2:
Fitzjames Adams (NY Knights)
Ryan Sadano (BC Sharks)

Loto Tagaloa (Hawaii Islanders)
Mike Garvey (Ipswich Jets - PA Bulls)
Anthony Sunia (Hawaii)

Vai Notoa (Hawaii Islanders)
Dusten Umeda (CT Wildcats)
Luke Collins (PA Bulls)
Todd Fisher (NY Knights)
Justin Ripley (NY Knights)
Matt Walsh (CT Wildcats)
Zac Padgett (BC Sharks)

Bryan Confer (PA Bulls)
CJ Cortalano (NY Knights)

Curtis Cunz (CT Wildcats)
Salesi Tonamoa (CT Wildcats)
Dennis Schmieler (CT Wildcats)

Sean Taylor (NY Knights)
Kali Tavake (Utah Avalanche)

Josh Rice (Ipswich Jets - Hawaii Islanders)
Andrew Kneisly (PA Bulls)
Kelly McGill (Hawaii Islanders)
Josh Latu (Utah Avalanche)
Adam Wendland (Northern Raiders)

Louis Tulio (PA Bulls)
Mike Schachter (CT Wildcats)

Luke Hume (NY Knights)
Alejandro Valentin (PA Bulls)
Aaron Thompson (Utah Avalanche)

clarency

Juniors
That sucks. Wished they would continue to get snubbed so then they would switch sooner.

Utah Avalanche... wtf?

IowaRL

Juniors
Extended squad, to be pared down, little big in my opinion, will we see a sharks player make the actual squad, or just build for inclusion next time

mother rucker

Juniors
I’m curious, how do players from the Utah Avalanche, that have no real comp. get selected? But a player like Casey Clark, that has an extensive rugby portfolio, played union since age 14, did grade 13 in Auckland, NZ. where he played for his high school. Stayed there for 3 years playing Union for the Collage Rifles, had coaches like Josh Kronfeld and Edwin Crocker, come back to the states start playing RL for the Axemen and make such an impact on the team that he is picked up by the Helensburgh Tigers in the Illawarra coal cup. Gets man of the match 3 times and player’s player once, spends all summer talking to the USA Eagles to play in their upcoming tests. And gets selected by them but never gets called by the AMNRL Tomahawks? There is no honor in the USA national RL jersey anymore. Well I guess thats why they are wearing the New York Knights kit now.

league13

Juniors
Actualy Rucker, from what we have seen over the years on these boards from the AMNRL or Nui, should we still be curious.What's behind it all is anyones guess.

gyallop

Juniors
Let's not get too excited about using the standard of reserve grade in the Illawarra Coal Competition to measure a players ability!! I havent seen Casey Clarke play so no disrespect to him but I know the first grade competition so I shudder at the standard of the reserve grade competition.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Let's not get too excited about using the standard of reserve grade in the Illawarra Coal Competition to measure a players ability!! I havent seen Casey Clarke play so no disrespect to him but I know the first grade competition so I shudder at the standard of the reserve grade competition.

You have no idea what you are talking about then because down here in the Illawarra RL would rival just about anywhere for first class players that have come through to reach the absolute top. It's one of our (RL's) biggest and best junior bases.

If a kid from a non RL playing nation wants to learn and by the looks of it so far, done quite well, the Illawarra is definitely a place you would want to learn Rugby League.

Good luck to him.

Poul

Juniors
You have no idea what you are talking about then because down here in the Illawarra RL would rival just about anywhere for first class players that have come through to reach the absolute top. It's one of our (RL's) biggest and best junior bases.

If a kid from a non RL playing nation wants to learn and by the looks of it so far, done quite well, the Illawarra is definitely a place you would want to learn Rugby League.

Good luck to him.

Didn't Jamie Peacock, the former England captain, play in the Illawarra league early on in his career? He turned out to be a pretty good player.

MattyCLark

Juniors

You clearly have no clue what your talking about. Let me educate you.
Illawarra comp is one or the toughest comps in NSW and AU, with a number of NRL and AU national players coming from its teams. In fact David Nui himself use to play for the ILLAWARRA ST GEORGE DRAGONS. Perhaps you've heard of them or knew this? As for an American to go down and achieve the standard that Casey did is a big deal.
I emailed the AMNRL months ago letting them know that Casey is not a USARL player and should be able to play for the Tomahawks. He has never gotten a call. I sent a highlight video and his stats to Nui and to the USA Eagles rugby union.
Funny coming off a league season the Eagles picked him up and he will be touring with them this fall. All expenses payed. The Tomahawks have never contacted him.

Last edited:

MattyCLark

Juniors
Casey Clark Highlight video
http://youtu.be/LVLiwHEAh6o

Here is the video that I sent to the AMNRL and USA Eagles.
Now gyallop you've seen him play. As much as the Eagles. And they selected him.

The only reason he's not selected, is cause he's my brother.

Evil Homer

Staff member
We all know the Tomahawks aren't the national team, it's just a rep team for Niu to reward people who are 'loyal' to him. There isn't a USA national team at present. I wish someone would form one. Put a strong case to the RLIF and it would be pretty easy to gain recognition.

Fatwing15

Juniors
http://www.amnrl.com/news/colonial-cup-2

USA Squad for selection in Colonial Cup Game 2:
Fitzjames Adams (NY Knights)
Ryan Sadano (BC Sharks)

Loto Tagaloa (Hawaii Islanders)
Mike Garvey (Ipswich Jets - PA Bulls)
Anthony Sunia (Hawaii)

Vai Notoa (Hawaii Islanders)
Dusten Umeda (CT Wildcats)
Luke Collins (PA Bulls)
Todd Fisher (NY Knights)
Justin Ripley (NY Knights)
Matt Walsh (CT Wildcats)
Zac Padgett (BC Sharks)

Bryan Confer (PA Bulls)
CJ Cortalano (NY Knights)

Curtis Cunz (CT Wildcats)
Salesi Tonamoa (CT Wildcats)
Dennis Schmieler (CT Wildcats)

Sean Taylor (NY Knights)
Kali Tavake (Utah Avalanche)

Josh Rice (Ipswich Jets - Hawaii Islanders)
Andrew Kneisly (PA Bulls)
Kelly McGill (Hawaii Islanders)
Josh Latu (Utah Avalanche)
Adam Wendland (Northern Raiders)

Louis Tulio (PA Bulls)
Mike Schachter (CT Wildcats)

Luke Hume (NY Knights)
Alejandro Valentin (PA Bulls)
Aaron Thompson (Utah Avalanche)

I thought there were more Sharks in the last player pool.

gyallop

Juniors
Matty I love loyalty. Your brother looks like he makes good defence contact but the attack is against terrible defensive structure and technique that isnt Australian bush standard but he is willing and seems to run a decent line.
I hope Casey comes back and makes say the Illawarra Cutters then he is at a level where he can make a statement for the domestic USA game but presently he is 2 tiers beneath that. Corey Blair from the USA is playing for Tweed Seagulls in the ISC which is the 2nd tier Australian competition.
I said I wasnt being disrespectful to Casey but making a comment about the Illawarra competition.I have seen the first grade competition and in my view based on actual observation it is nowhere near what it was in the 80s and 90s. Dont confuse the past with present and juniors in an area has no relevance to the standard of a local reserve grade competition.You may have a different view thats fine but that doesnt make me clueless.

MattyCLark

Juniors
Matty I love loyalty. Your brother looks like he makes good defence contact but the attack is against terrible defensive structure and technique that isnt Australian bush standard but he is willing and seems to run a decent line.
I hope Casey comes back and makes say the Illawarra Cutters then he is at a level where he can make a statement for the domestic USA game but presently he is 2 tiers beneath that. Corey Blair from the USA is playing for Tweed Seagulls in the ISC which is the 2nd tier Australian competition.
I said I wasnt being disrespectful to Casey but making a comment about the Illawarra competition.I have seen the first grade competition and in my view based on actual observation it is nowhere near what it was in the 80s and 90s. Dont confuse the past with present and juniors in an area has no relevance to the standard of a local reserve grade competition.You may have a different view thats fine but that doesnt make me clueless.

Sorry I now understand what your saying. The fact that I was trying to point out is that Casey in one of the Best AMERICAN rugby league players in the country and for him to not be looked at by the USA rugby league national team is BS. Because the Union USA Eagles selected him off of a league season and video and they have much higher of a standard then the Tomahawks. I have played for the Tomahawks and I know the caliber of players that are on the squad now and some of them are not that level.
Just saying the only reason that he isn't being selected is cause he's my brother.
Oh and just so everyone knows Apple and Kenny are fine. They are healed up from that BS game in Philly and working out here in Jax and Orlando. Kenny just had a kid and couldn't afford the trip and they told Apple to stay put and get fit. So Anything that come from the AMNRL is horse sh1t

Fatwing15

Juniors
Back to the subject of the thread. I know at least one of the 2 players from The Sharks who were in the player pool were not selected, I didn't get a chance to talk to the other. I am guessing neither of them played but I am not positive. So no recognition for The Sharks lol.

Hey Matty, Your bro does look like a pretty good player, you should send him up to play with The Sharks, so he can be "eligible" by playing in the AMNRL and still not get selected.

Any one know how the team was selected before the USARL AMNRL split, were there tryouts or did they just select in a similar manner that they do now?

deluded pom?

Coach
Back to the subject of the thread. I know at least one of the 2 players from The Sharks who were in the player pool were not selected, I didn't get a chance to talk to the other. I am guessing neither of them played but I am not positive. So no recognition for The Sharks lol.

Hey Matty, Your bro does look like a pretty good player, you should send him up to play with The Sharks, so he can be "eligible" by playing in the AMNRL and still not get selected.

Any one know how the team was selected before the USARL AMNRL split, were there tryouts or did they just select in a similar manner that they do now?

I was told by someone involved with one of the teams that the AMNRL arranged tryouts at various venues prior to internationals but they never seemed to go ahead. The usual suspects were then selected. They also selected Hawaiian players, who had limited knowledge of RL, for the Tomahawks before the split.

Bronco Rob

Juniors
I was told by someone involved with one of the teams that the AMNRL arranged tryouts at various venues prior to internationals but they never seemed to go ahead. The usual suspects were then selected. They also selected Hawaiian players, who had limited knowledge of RL, for the Tomahawks before the split.

The sad thing about all of this is we are talking about a Nation that has made the World Cup! Honestly can the RLIF take their blinkers off and do their homework and realise what is happening in the US is increasingly damaging the game.

I still haven't seen any junior development by the AMNRL.

The US story is so similar to Italy, 2 nations that have qualified under the regime of who seem unprofessional, incompetent bodies who have no grassroot development as opposed to the competing bodies who seem more professional and competent and are growing the game at grassroots levels.

gyallop

Juniors
yea right a split among 300 players is damaging the world game!

You should be more worried about the richest club in rugby league underperforming and not developing the biggest junior base in the world than what some unpaid volunteers who are paying to grow the game they love around the world from the own wallets with zero assistance from anyone. That is doing much more damage to the game.