What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Sharks should wake up and realise it's all over in Sydney and relocate fast

whats with the fascination of the sunshine coast?

there is 260K people there , down the road there is 1.8 million people with one team and a stadium that isnt being used enough.

Surely any knew team in SEQ must be based in brisbane.

bartman

Immortal
Honestly wake up people.the sharks aint going anywhere and the nrl knows it.It's only the actions of individuals in the club that has escalated what people think is a massive problem.Yes the football club is in debt but so are all sydney clubs.All clubs are in danger of folding as much as the sharks.But the difference between the sharks and other clubs is that we will have major finacial stability in the future once our assests start to generate income and that's why the nrl won't let the sharks go because they know down the track that they will be one of only a handful of sydney clubs to actually sustain themselves.I laugh at people believeing the papers.so f----ng gullible.All they are are exaggerated stories to sell papers.
Thpse income generating assets are a dead certainty in this economic climate, are they?

Why wouldn't the NRL look at the Sharks as an asset rich club, and instead of bailing them out short term (like it seems the Sharks need) force them to move to an area that will generate more annual revenue income (South East Queensland is being mentioned), while also keeping/selling these Shire assets that will supposedly generate reliable income down the track?

That would be a win-win for the NRL, without spending a penny bailing the Sharks out (again) just to see them stay put and not add any extra value to the next TV rights deal. Sure, keep two home games at Shark Park while they still can (St George derby and a heritage round game), but this is a chance for all to look to the future.

Solid

Juniors
Remember that QLDers despise anything NSW related when suggesting to move the Sharks to the Sunshine Coast.

Crowds would be similar if not worse than the current situation.

Another team could work in SEQ, but it cant be one relocated from Sydney.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Agree with Nulla boy.

How does Cronulla dieing benefit RL? Oh is it the same way the Bears demise benefited Manly? As far as I can see it only benefited every other code and basically damaged league in the ir area. Gain for Manly, zero.

kruzin

Juniors
Remember that QLDers despise anything NSW related when suggesting to move the Sharks to the Sunshine Coast.

Crowds would be similar if not worse than the current situation.

Another team could work in SEQ, but it cant be one relocated from Sydney.

This guy is a smart one, we don't want sydney's droppings, we need our own team up here, one we can start ourselves and build ourselves,

@ the pic of the gravestone

ROFLMAO!!! owned.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
This guy is a smart one, we don't want sydney's droppings, we need our own team up here, one we can start ourselves and build ourselves,

@ the pic of the gravestone

ROFLMAO!!! owned.

You do know that the guys behind the Central Queensland bid are open to a relocated team from Sydney.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
whats with the fascination of the sunshine coast?

there is 260K people there , down the road there is 1.8 million people with one team and a stadium that isnt being used enough.

Surely any knew team in SEQ must be based in brisbane.
Sutherland Shire's population is a bit over 200,000, and has almost reached max volume.

Sunshine Coast is growing. And your figures are wrong btw, it has a population closer to 300,000.

According to the Qld gov't, it is 'over 290,000'. LINK
---
The Sunshine Coast’s population is more than 290,000 – seven per cent of Queeensland’s population.

Sunshine Coast’s population is forecast to rise to 483,000 by 2026
---
There's loads of room and no one is being turned back at the Gateway Bridge.

fourplay

Juniors
Why should the sharks have the privilage of relocating?

If the Sharks can't succeed in Cronulla what makes you think the people running the club have the skills to succeed in a completely foreign area?

The fact that they can't succeed in Cronulla shows that the board lack the ability to market their club and lack business skills.

and why would you relocate one of the most disliked clubs with the worst reputation to a new area when you could start a fresh team that the people of the city will feel actually belongs to them?

Look how successful the Titans were in their first season. How successful do you think they would have been if they were a relocated Sharks team? I highly doubt Central Coast rl fans would feel any affinity to the Cronulla Sharks and won't support them simply because they have relocated. And Cronullas management have already shown their inept marketing skills and we will give them the burden of carrying the rugby league torch and suceeding in a new area? lmao please. It's an insult to Central Coast to dump the Sharks on them.

Dogs Of War

Coach

If the Sharks can't succeed in Cronulla what makes you think the people running the club have the skills to succeed in a completely foreign area?

The fact that they can't succeed in Cronulla shows that the board lack the ability to market their club and lack business skills.

and why would you relocate one of the most disliked clubs with the worst reputation to a new area when you could start a fresh team that the people of the city will feel actually belongs to them?

Look how successful the Titans were in their first season. How successful do you think they would have been if they were a relocated Sharks team? I highly doubt Central Coast rl fans would feel any affinity to the Cronulla Sharks and won't support them simply because they have relocated. And Cronullas management have already shown their inept marketing skills and we will give them the burden of carrying the rugby league torch and suceeding in a new area? lmao please. It's an insult to Central Coast to dump the Sharks on them.

I would imagine plenty of new blood would be part of any move. And the fact that you are starting in a new area, gives you a big chance to correct the culture of the club as you set it up again.

Probably work a lot better if they moved out of state, than up the road to the Central Coast were some of the legacy members may be encouraged to hang around and bleed the club for a while longer (though the NRL could stipulate that a clean out is required)

ibeme

First Grade

If the Sharks folded, and the Central Coast team started up to replace them, it's a fair bet that most of the Sharks players will be transplanted to the Central Coast, along with some of the officials.

I hope the Sharks stick around myself, but the notion that the Central Coast would have a brand new team to call their own is bit of a stretch.

mik01

Juniors
The Sunshine Coast said they would be open to a relocation.

I've done a quick whip around the traps up here and we all say 'no f**king way'.

why relocate a dead Sydney team with no support, when you can have a team built locally out of the Qld cup support?

sorry - but relocating a Syd team to Qld is just asking for trouble

Surely

Post Whore
I've done a quick whip around the traps up here and we all say 'no f**king way'.

why relocate a dead Sydney team with no support, when you can have a team built locally out of the Qld cup support?

So you asked what 20 people ?

Coaster

Bench
If the Sunshine Coast was guaranteed a team with the Sharks relocating, and then bleed there juniors into it they would jump on it.

They are not guaranteed a team otherwise

The same goes for Central coast IMO.

Anyway the NRL have got a plan, its perfect game theory, and although some dont like the way its being played have no mistake that pieces are being placed to move the sharks out of Cronulla, one way or another.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Anyway the NRL have got a plan, its perfect game theory, and although some dont like the way its being played have no mistake that pieces are being placed to move the sharks out of Cronulla, one way or another.

It's not a plan, it was a dream they hoped would come true, and it's not over the line yet, though I do think the fat lady is warming up for the Sharks, will be interesting to see what comes out of Mondays meeting between the Sharks and the NRL, as the NRL has had plenty of time to go over the books.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach

Don't misquote me you runt, this is what I said.

You do know that the guys behind the Central Queensland bid are open to a relocated team from Sydney.

And here is my proof that the guys behind the CQ bid is open to a reolaced Sydney team.

CENTRAL Queensland has fired the first shot in the battle to become the state's fourth NRL team - and is open to helping relocate a Sydney club. ..............
The consortium also includes former Queensland State of Origin stars Jason Hetherington and Gary Larson. While the CQ bid team is working to establish a team from scratch, it has not ruled out accepting a Sydney club wishing to relocate to survive in the NRL.
Meanwhile, Sunshine Coast chief executive Brett Winkler - whose organisation is currently affiliated with Manly - revealed the region is also prepared to rescue a battling Sydney club.
"We're very keen to have an NRL team on the Sunshine Coast and I think that relocation is probably our best option,'' he said.
"We have a contract with Manly until the end of 2010 but beyond that we are happy to talk with any Sydney team that believes the Sunshine Coast would be a good fit.''

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,25322124-5006066,00.html

So despite you doing a quick survey of about 6 people on the Sunshine Coast people, the CQ Bid consortium has already decided.

Last edited:

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
It's not a plan, it was a dream they hoped would come true, and it's not over the line yet, though I do think the fat lady is warming up for the Sharks, will be interesting to see what comes out of Mondays meeting between the Sharks and the NRL, as the NRL has had plenty of time to go over the books.

Maybe Harold Holt will drift up on the beaches on the Sunshine Coast one night in a few years.

mik01

Juniors
Don't misquote me you runt, this is what I said.

And here is my proof that the guys behind the CQ bid is open to a reolaced Sydney team.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,25322124-5006066,00.html

So despite you doing a quick survey of about 6 people on the Sunshine Coast people, the CQ Bid consortium has already decided.

where do I begin?

1 - the Sunny Coast can't sustain an NRl team - too small population, too far from Brisbane (to capture the disaffected Broncs supporters), too far from regional centres in CQ, not linked by public transport to ANY regional or major town, no suitable facilities... i could probably go on.

2 - ONE nuffie who says he would be interested doesn't make up the region - needs to be support from all levels of Govt. opinion at this stage is heavily in favour of a SECOND Brisbane team (West or North Brisbane), who can share Lang Park.

3 - you seem to confuse CQ and Sunshine Coast - they are about 6 - 10 hrs drive apart!!!!!!!! Mackay would probably be most logical for a CQ base as its central and has the bigger population base - although only 100k

4 - don't call me a runt.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
where do I begin?

1 - the Sunny Coast can't sustain an NRl team - too small population, too far from Brisbane (to capture the disaffected Broncs supporters), too far from regional centres in CQ, not linked by public transport to ANY regional or major town, no suitable facilities... i could probably go on.

2 - ONE nuffie who says he would be interested doesn't make up the region - needs to be support from all levels of Govt. opinion at this stage is heavily in favour of a SECOND Brisbane team (West or North Brisbane), who can share Lang Park.

3 - you seem to confuse CQ and Sunshine Coast - they are about 6 - 10 hrs drive apart!!!!!!!! Mackay would probably be most logical for a CQ base as its central and has the bigger population base - although only 100k

4 - don't call me a runt.

The Sunshine Coast has a bigger population then Cronulla and a better prospect of growth. Almost to double in about 20 years.

Despite whether you think he is a "nuffie" or not, he is the one that is trying to get this off the ground, not the 6 people you did a survey of, so what they think is irrelivant.

The Sunshine Coast and the CQ consordium both said they would be open to a relocated Sydney team. Read the article.

CENTRAL Queensland has fired the first shot in the battle to become the state's fourth NRL team - and is open to helping relocate a Sydney club. ..............
The consortium also includes former Queensland State of Origin stars Jason Hetherington and Gary Larson. While the CQ bid team is working to establish a team from scratch, it has not ruled out accepting a Sydney club wishing to relocate to survive in the NRL.
Meanwhile, Sunshine Coast chief executive Brett Winkler - whose organisation is currently affiliated with Manly - revealed the region is also prepared to rescue a battling Sydney club.
"We're very keen to have an NRL team on the Sunshine Coast and I think that relocation is probably our best option,'' he said.
"We have a contract with Manly until the end of 2010 but beyond that we are happy to talk with any Sydney team that believes the Sunshine Coast would be a good fit.''

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...006066,00.html

mongoose

Coach
If the Sunshine Coast was guaranteed a team with the Sharks relocating, and then bleed there juniors into it they would jump on it.

They are not guaranteed a team otherwise

The same goes for Central coast IMO.

How do you know this? I doubt the NRL has a plan at all, they have never had a plan. They will let the sharks bleed to death and then maybe possibly gallops hand will be forced to admit the central coast bears. Though he wil do a little as possible to promote them.