What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The shoulder charge debate thread

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
This debate has taken a regrettable turn in recent times.

http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sp...ermans-brother-calls-for-shoulder-charge-ban/

It was an absolutely tragic set of circumstances when 25-year-old Sunshine Coast Falcons front-rower and father-of-two James Ackerman passed away on the 22nd of June, suffering fatal head injuries from a shoulder charge during a Queensland Cup match in Brisbane.

Triple M's Mark Geyer and Matthew Johns believe it's time we accept the fact that the shoulder charge is gone for good - and to reject calls from some sections of the rugby league community that the shoulder charge should return despite the dangers.
"In my opinion it's a debate that's frivolous and insensitive - the shoulder charge was banned in the first place after medical experts told the NRL it was dangerous and it was a tragedy in the making - [and] just over a month ago that tragedy occurred," said Matty.
Andrew Ackerman, the brother of James Ackerman, told Triple M Sydney's Grill Team the death of his brother is an example of what can happen when the shoulder charge goes wrong.
"I think people forget the shoulder charge was outlawed two or three years ago and at the time... I wasn't agreeing with it either because it was a part of James' game as well [but] my brother is an example of what can happen with the shoulder charge," said Andrew.
"How does it make you [and] your parents feel when they see rugby league experts coming out and saying 'bring the shoulder charge back, the game needs it'?" asked Matty.
"It's very disappointing and we're hurt, we're still grieving, it's six weeks ago and I didn't see the game the other night [but] I've seen the tackle [on Sam Kasiano] and you've got Channel Nine commentators saying 'bring it back' - I couldn't believe it," said Andrew.
"We never thought that rugby league could do this, we never thought that someone could die from playing a sport you loved and we've got nothing against the game but people who're saying the shoulder charge is what makes rugby league, they're kidding themselves." Listen to the full audio below.

Now look, I feel for the Ackermans as much as the next person, what they're going through is horrible and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but I really can't respect using a heavily emotional issue to try and make a cheap point in a heated debate. I'm sorry but one plane crash doesn't make for a ban on planes.

James is one tragedy in over a century of football.

Dutchy

Immortal
The shoulder charge is a new, vicious form of illegal play that was developed by Bellamy and his Melbourne swine.

Ban it.

Cricket didnt ban the bouncer when phil hughes died. But then again, cricket isnt a dead sport like rugby league

BunniesMan

Immortal
Saying his family doesn't have a right to a voice on the issue is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. And I am someone who has seen all 31000 of my posts.

That's like the gun nuts in america who say gun control shouldn't be talked about after a gun tragedy.

Shoulder charges use more force than any normal tackle. That extra force can kill in the immediate short term, and it can damage you in the long term. Immediate death may be rare, but long term brain damage is not rare.

There is no debate. The shoulder charge is never coming back. After the NRL got the advice it did it instantly become liable to billion dollar lawsuits in the future if it didn't ban shoulder charges. Medical and legal experts much smarter than you and I have spoken.

The average bogan on the street crying out for the return of this low skill low ability technique matters less than nothing. It isn't happening. No pro shoulder charge idiot on this forum will fork out to pay the NRLs legal expenses.

Last edited:

Pete Cash

Post Whore
When there are plane crashes aviation groups do try and limit the risk of that plane crash cause happening again.

SharkShocked

Bench
Dave Smith ‏@DaveSmithNRL 56m56 minutes ago
No place at all for the shoulder charge in the game @NRL. The rules will tighten such that if you put a hit on you'll be on the sideline

AJB1102

First Grade
As someone said, bouncers are still in Cricket.

What about UFC? Don't think anyone has died, but its undoubtedly the most violent legal sport around and also the fastest growing sport on the planet.

Us stripping back entertaining parts of our game is not the way forward.