What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The site needs a kick along

"Meth... you're doing wonders for my hangover at the moment"- Was that a compliment or an insult?
emdgust.gif
"But the managers tag gives extra incentive and responsibility to do so. I think its a good idea to get a couple of new people on board with a fresh perspective on things." Please don't misread my comments, they are intended to be constructive and have been since the outset. But to be honest, I don't see the logic in appointing new managers to increase contribution.....the fact that the managers here contribute are more to do with their character then their title. It hasn't made a difference to me...strip me of my management and I would contribute at the same level.

Hmmm, i can see both sides.

Perhaps there are other ways to get new people contributing in different ways. But looking at how things are ticking over at the moment, i don't think anything of the sort is currently needed. 700+ posts a week, 80-90% of them quality (am i being generous? lol), is pretty good in my book

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Cheers,
Moffo

C

CanadianSteve

I'd like to see guys like Canadian Steve or Cyberkev be given a free hand to put up sections on ice hockey or AFL for instance - Roopy

Hey, I'm a basketball fan, I don't follow hockey nearly as much as most of my fellow Canadians.

Thanks, Roopy, but I don't think people need to be managers to contribute more to the topics of their choice. Look at Marcus, I don't think the powers that be would make him a manager, but he gets lots of discussions on union going. Besides, I'm not sure I could be trusted with that banning and deleting power.;)

I think 5 new managers would be too many, and maybe too drastic a change. One or two new ones a year might be good, though.

Canadian Steve said
"Thanks, Roopy, but I don't think people need to be managers to contribute more to the topics of their choice."

Bronco said
"But the managers tag gives extra incentive and responsibility to do so."

I think these two statements neatly sum up the two sides of this discussion, and both points of view are equally valid.
Bronco was an assisstant manager and gave up that position because he lost the enthusiasm to contribute as much as he thought he should (I hope I'm not misrepresenting you there Bronco). The point is, the manager tag doesn't make you do things for the site, but it increases your desire to do so because you have a certain amount of 'ownership' over the site and its content.
Making people managers will, to use a psychological buzz phrase I'm not too keen on, empower people to feel a sense of 'ownership'.

The managers do add threads etc when the site looks like it needs a bit of a boost. No one has ever said that this is a thing expected of the managers, but all can see it will help the site, so they do it. I often see threads started by Moff or Willow or one of the other managers and I think 'that should get a good discussion going', and I'm sure these threads are designed to do just that. A classic example is this very thread.I started this thread for two reasons A/ to discuss the need for new managers (the obvious one) and B/ to kick off a bit of lively debate (which i thought was needed to boost the site).

Making people managers will turn them from people with a casual interest in the site into stakeholders in the site with an interest in seeing the site prosper.

L

legend

Firstly, i'd like to apologise for my relative abscence over the last few days.

Now, onto the serious issues at hand. I tend to agree with Moffo about the "if it aint broke" theory but I can also see where Roopy is coming from. When I was a regular on the WORL messageboard the biggest gripe among the members was there was too many managers and that led to too many people having their finger on the trigger and I believe it was a big part of the reason the WORL ninemsn site went down the tubes.

WORL had something like 3500-4000 members at that stage with about 20-25% active posters. We have a much smaller member base but I predict there will be rapid growth in season 2003. Once we hit the 400 member mark the site became self sustaining as far as threads and overall traffic goes. There are now always enough people to engage in a coversation which is very pleasing and the managers role of starting new threads has taken a backseat. The members are more than happy to start their own and I personally don't distinguish between members and managers and from what I have read, most others feel the same way.

My only suggestion would be for a rotating policy or exchange of managers with the current group of managers. I'd be more than happy to stand down and let someone else take the reins of the site but at this stage I don't think any new managers are required.

Personally, i'd like to see Eelsfan, Reservoir Dog, Pepe and Midas have a crack at a management role.

C

CanadianSteve

Following along with Roopy's business-like approach, maybe we need a performance review of the current managers, to see who's pulling their weight in terms of starting new threads when the site needs a boost. ;)

O

ozbash

i agree with roopys idea of a change around at the "trop".
i think for this site to keep the excellent name it has, we need a constant stream of ideas,threads and topics that will interest people enough to at least stick the forum in their favourites,and maybe join.
i was an ass manager on WORL in the the good old bad old days and this place couldnt be more different.there is no crowd control, the members do that.
there is,as roopy said, a feeling of responsibilty to the forum. i think its a form of protectionism which is probably quite healthy. when the "call to take up arms"against the infidel has gone out,typing finger gets real twitchy...:)
its a great job , manging here.you chuck something onto the front page and sit in wait of a victim to come along and take the bait. great stuff and probably why this forum works as well as it does. 99.9% of members are mature and healthy enough in their own minds not to take offence oor take it as a personal insult.
thats what makes it an enjoyable job..
i cant think of 1 negative thing i can say being a manager here creates.
you cop a bit of shit,but usually the person giving it realises and starts grinning..

so yes, i would stand aside and i welcome anything which will benefit the site and the membership.

i am/would be interested to see hazy,lord ted, cyber kev,kier,canadian steve ,spacie,joe d have a lash, as i feel they have a wealth of ideas/views etc to offer.

imported_E_A__

Juniors
No offence to anyone mentioned in ozbash's or legend's post but having any more than one Saints supporter on the Management team is against the laws of nature.

Can i do a performance analysis for my fellow managers?? hehehe, anyways, i will

Willow - A public disgrace. A saints fan, non-believer in God, could it get worse? He has started threads with Burgo in them, and resorted to antagonising Raiders fans by repeatedly showing a pic of Laurie Daley in a Saints t-shirt. - 3/10

Legend - Canberra fan. That counts against him, and being a Bon-Jovi fan, doesn't go down to well either (he was actually the fan who jumped in the water at Darling Harbour last week and kissed him when he got to the float). But he is a local, and a bit of a believer in God, so ill have to re-assess his marks upwards - 5/10

El Duque - Bevoooooooo! Big Warney fan, doesn't sit well with most people in here. But he always has his bit to say, doesn't mind letting rip in a thread. Pity that he is a Parramatta fan - 6/10

Bomber - North Qlds finest. Buggered us up a bit in the 7s last year, but all was quickly forgiven. A fellow uni student, cowboys fan, not to bad a bloke - 7/10

Ozbash - Sheep shagger from across the ditch. Has started many a Kiwi oriented thread, and a big fan of the WGHB. Tipped me into some big losers during the Melbourne Cup, which has decreased his rating (talking through my pocket of course) - 6/10

Kiwi - New runner on the board, looking for big things out of the Bags and the 7s this year. Being a Broncos fan is a negative, but the man is looking forward to a bigger and brighter future - 7/10

Roopy - The brains of the board. Recently added a brillant thread highlighting the US tour to Australia in the 50s. Top 7s poster, always come up with some interesting topic matter. Pick of the board - 8/10

Cheers,
Moffo

Willow

Assistant Moderator
"Meth... you're doing wonders for my hangover at the moment"- Was that a compliment or an insult?
Ummm, a compliment. yes... thats what it was... :D
I moved house on the weekend and my brain was hurting yestyerday. Much better now thanks.

Moffo: you forgot the most important rating of all... one for yourself:

MFC,
Believes in the greatest fairy tale ever told. Also supports the Bulldogs with blinkers. Has an unwaivering belief in the righteousness of ecomonists but can't play Wheel of Fortune.
1/10
;)

imported_midas

Juniors
Don,t know what all the panic,s about.Sure the site,s a little bit slow at the moment
but it,s that time of year.Hectic time at work for most,Christmas to be organised,parties to attend,drinks to be consumed,women to be pursued and so it goes on.Plus there,s not much happening in League at the moment,the cricket is all one-sided,pollies have all scrammed for holidays-generally it,all in the doldrums but only in cyber world.Elsewhere there,s too much to do at the moment.
Speaking of which,gotta go and partake of some Laughing Syrup.

What a seriously stupid idea.
The joint seems to be doing O.K. to me (an occassional contributor and serial lurker).
The only way anyone would need replacing is if someone quits.
It is the silly season after all.
Roopy, you say yourself that you have been busy.Well, fair enough, but I regard it as a bit high handed to make your presence by announcing your absence, and then saying the place is going down the shit shute.
I belong to the "if it ain't broke" school.

Also in "these difficult times" people are far to busy preparing bunkers so as to survive the inevitable terrorist attack to be on the forum.It is necessary to survive the attack so the forum can be maintained. LWOS will be the springboard of tactical offence that will return the democracy to its rightful participants.

By terrorist attack do you mean those snotty nosed little f'n know-all S.O.B's... otherwise known as school children? If not then sorry but as soon as I read that I realized how close we are to inevitable flood ofcyber-shite.

Bah, I remember when I was at school, & in my day... ;)

eels fan,
No mate I wasn't,but now that you have bought up images of smartarse little f**kers on skateboards and rollerblades maybe the terrorism I was referring to is the lesser of two evils.
Can't say I am altogether thrilled with the thought of going to the shopping centre and having to retract my hard earned beer gut as another flying juvenile zips past and near amputates my toes and ruins my dress thongs.

P

pepe

lets have another election,the last one was ridlled with corruption and favourtism.

vote # 1 for pepe,''it's abouttime"

pepe