What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Socceroos Bandwagon

Dunno

Juniors
Yes, it was a great victory and I'm as excited as the next person but I'm starting to cringe at the over-exposure of last nights game. Channel 7 news tonight dedicated nearly 10 minutes to the game, rehashing the same points over and over. There's only so many times you can watch the reaction of fans when we scored before it becomes tedious. It's great for once for football to be given so much coverage, but it's got to the point where it's become over-indulgent. On Today Tonight right now we have Peter Fitzsimons and Mike Gibson calling it our greatest sporting achievement ever :crazy: and one of the greatest games they've ever seen! They could probably count the number of football games they've seen on one hand :sarcasm: I realise too that for football to take off in this country we need the support of these bandwagoners but FFS, it's gotten out of hand!! :crazy:

Misanthrope

Staff member
It probably is Australia's greatest sporting achievement ever. When you consider that the sports we're world champions in aren't played professionally by more than a handful of nations - it's a real achievement to win a game in a tournament which almost two hundred nations attempted to qualify for - and against a side that is one of the better ones in the world.

That said, I agree that it is getting a lot of crazy calls. Best game ever? Aside from the final ten minutes most neutral supporters I've talked to said it was a dull fixture saved by the flood of late goals.

Misanthrope

Staff member
*cough* 5:27am on the 26th of September 1983. *cough*

I'm confused. The only thing of any importance I can find that happened on that date was Russian missile technician Stanislav Petrov preventing the world from going into nuclear war by refusing to launch a counter-offensive against the United States when his system told him Russia had been fired upon.

Interesting read, actually:
http://www.mosnews.com/feature/2004/05/21/petrov.shtml

Cammo

Bench
At this point in time it is our greatest achievement ever (I don't count the Americas Cup bigger than the World Cup). We can only hope that the title for this game being our greatest achievement falls very soon :D

Macca_

Coach
This is as good as it gets for us right now in this sport. We're getting bigger and bigger in the sport and this is only the beginning.

Whatever happens from here, the exposure the sport is getting is brilliant. It will only keep the game getting stronger.

Bring it on I say!

An41

Juniors
But what will happen after Hiddink is gone? both Holland and South Korea haven't been as good as when he was there

Cammo

Bench
An41 said:
But what will happen after Hiddink is gone? both Holland and South Korea haven't been as good as when he was there

Depends on who the replacement will be. Hopefully they will pick someone who can continue and maybe even improve on the work that Hiddink has done.

Macca_

Coach
An41 said:
Plant the seeds, it will grow.

Misanthrope

Staff member

Holland haven't been as good since he left? They're still one of the most consistently dangerous sides in the world and are a very good chance of winning this World Cup.

Dunno

Juniors
CWBush said:
Holland haven't been as good since he left? They're still one of the most consistently dangerous sides in the world and are a very good chance of winning this World Cup.

They did miss out on qualifying for the 2002 WC though...But had a good Euro 2004 mind. But agree they're one of the most impressive sides I've seen so far

sunny

that america cup stuff from 1983 was bullsh*t. people only liked it because it was an excuse to get on the piss and have a day off.

Mr Saab

Referee
Love bandwaggoners...especially blatant fraud ones like Koch, Doyle, Stefanovic, and Rowe.

Misanthrope

Staff member
that america cup stuff from 1983 was bullsh*t. people only liked it because it was an excuse to get on the piss and have a day off.

Does anyone honestly even consider sailing a sport? Sure, technically it is, but it's no more a sport than cycling or chess - and I don't see anybody creaming their dacks over achievement in those.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
there is no way that this is our greatest sporting achievement ever

ffs, how many world cups have we won in other sports, not to mention our Olympic acheivements.

it is certainaly our greatest ever soccer achievement ever and we have a fairly large group of fans in the country willing to support it

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
sunny said:

I loved it because we stuck it up the Yanks

Misanthrope

Staff member
ffs, how many world cups have we won in other sports, not to mention our Olympic acheivements.

I think the point being made is that, with the possible exception of cricket, none of the others mean sh*t. Rugby and Rugby League are played in a handful of countries and are hardly competitive. Hockey, Netball, Basketball etc aren't exactly global phenomena either.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Just looking at the news coverage, has there ever been a sporting event where there's been a sea of green and gold in a stadium outside Australia and pretty vocal?

Tom Shines

First Grade
It probably means more for the fact that we are usually sh*t at football. I mean, we go to cricket world cups and expect to win it all, and even the Olympics we have a great heritage.

But it would be like the US winning a match in the cricket world cup — and extraordinary acheivement.

Latest posts