What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Sony verdict...

In-goal

Bench
i'm not to dishartend buy all this as i have pre ordered the game for XBOX yet i haven't got one yet i'm going to pick it all up on the one day, so atleast i'll have a little extra cash now.

I few little things to think about-

* Everyone is thanking Sidhe and blaming Sony, ok but shouldn't Sidhe have thought about this stuff long ago? why didn't they get this right the first time?

* WHY not release the XBOX/PC versions?
sounds like Sony might be threatening them so the game doesn't have an exclusive period on Xbox, if so (very likely) this just stinks!

I bought an xbox, why should I have to wait for Sony to pass the game?
I shouldn't have to... I was excited about this game, now i'm just frustrated and dissapointed because the game will be delayed close to 2 months for a silly reason, I'm all for delays for improvements but the gameplay isn't being touched! I'll play the game but my interest has dropped off quite a bit.

I (and many others) will be deep into PGR2 when it comes out, some people may not have the extra $100 to spend.

Rise Against

stan the man of steel said:

* Everyone is thanking Sidhe and blaming Sony, ok but shouldn't Sidhe have thought about this stuff long ago? why didn't they get this right the first time?

sounds like Sony might be threatening them so the game doesn't have an exclusive period on Xbox, if so (very likely) this just stinks!

I shouldn't have to... I was excited about this game, now i'm just frustrated and dissapointed because the game will be delayed close to 2 months for a silly reason, I'm all for delays for improvements but the gameplay isn't being touched! I'll play the game but my interest has dropped off quite a bit.

I (and many others) will be deep into PGR2 when it comes out, some people may not have the extra $100 to spend.

I agree with everything this guy said, he is the first decent 1 poster in ages.. i have a ps2 and xbox and it sucks royal dick that we have 2 wait 4 sony.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
Razor said:
nz_kid said:
Dam that really sucks i wounder how rugby 2004 passed

EA Sports is a much bigger company than Sidhe.

And there is a rumour that EA Sports is going to dump the PS2 and create games solely on the Xbox and PC.

i highly doubt that...the ps2 is the leading console...it may not match up to the GC and X-box but more ppl prefer the ps2...why would EA want to develop games for systems that dont sell as much games as the ps2??

i know u didnt make it up im just saying that rumours are usually bs..

also the reason for the delay is cause when a game gets released on other consoles 1st it usually means they bought the rights or something like that...PC and X-box dont have the full rights to the rugby league game...so it gets released on the same day as the others..so if either version is delayed then so will the others.

KimmorleyKiller

Juniors
Razor said:
KimmorleyKiller said:
i dont think so have u seen the quality of recent pc games???

need for speed hot pursuit 2 took forever 2 load because ea made it load from the disc the only way i could play it decently was with a no cd patch
and rugby2004 is the worst game ive ever played (mind you if suxs on console 2)

That's why copy-protection sucks.

It only affects the people who purchased the game.

I don't like getting the CD out each time, so always crack the game (or download one).

The developers did well in the early-90s when they stopped putting all that copy protection in.

It's not as bad now as back then they had 3 ways - floppy having to be in, using a code wheel, or entering a word from the manual (give you word number, line number, page number). - the last 2 seriously pissed me off

But the past 3-4 years they've started doing it again. Pointless as anyone who wants to copy a game can still do it easily.

thats exactly right, the only thing copy protection does is take up more space on your harddrive, makes the game take longer 2 load, and it takes about an extra 40min 2 burn. the other day i hired rugby2004 and nfhp2 and they were both shit. there was no way i was gonna pay good money for those games so i burnt them wat im saying is if a company puts the effort in2 making a quality game like sidhe has then ppl will realise this and pay for the game nstead of burning it.

btw will rugbyleague have copy protection on it??

canberra_raiders2k2 said:
also the reason for the delay is cause when a game gets released on other consoles 1st it usually means they bought the rights or something like that...PC and X-box dont have the full rights to the rugby league game...so it gets released on the same day as the others..so if either version is delayed then so will the others.

I find that hard to believe.
If a game has a period of exclusivity i'm sure the devs/publishers pocket the money, it wouldn't go towards the licence.
I'd say Sony just don't want the xbox version to come out first, I bet they threatened HES with a "delay the other versions or we won't approve the PS2 version" line or something similar.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Razor said:
nz_kid said:

And there is a rumour that EA Sports is going to dump the PS2 and create games solely on the Xbox and PC.

i highly doubt that...the ps2 is the leading console...it may not match up to the GC and X-box but more ppl prefer the ps2...why would EA want to develop games for systems that dont sell as much games as the ps2??

They obviously have little amount of balls in their negotiation team. They should have said fine we will redo the parts you don't like but we are releasing the game now on XBOX and PC so you may lose sales!

Tadpole

Juniors
JuSTiNcReDiBLe said:
stan the man of steel said:

I agree with everything this guy said, he is the first decent 1 poster in ages.. i have a ps2 and xbox and it sucks royal dick that we have 2 wait 4 sony.

Guys like this p*** me right off! Everyone involved in this game has had to work to a very limited budget and what we have seen of it so far has been pretty damn good. Mario has been here in HIS OWN TIME to keep us updated on the going ons of the whole thing.

Like Mario said, they only ever announced 1 release date so therefore it has been delayed once..all other dates that had been flying around were speculative.

Anyway what im trying to say is dont bag Sidhe, Mario or anyone else involved in the production of this game. They have done an outstanding job to date and deserve a big pat on the back for their tireless efforts in bringing a game that people have been waiting for for years.

Anyway thats my 2 bobs worth :)

KimmorleyKiller

Juniors
DvdHntr said:
Razor said:
nz_kid said:

They obviously have little amount of balls in their negotiation team. They should have said fine we will redo the parts you don't like but we are releasing the game now on XBOX and PC so you may lose sales!

i think the only reason their waiting is because its in their contract with sony that all versions must be released at teh same time

Dog-E

Juniors
JuSTiNcReDiBLe said:
This is f***ing pathetic. Lets hope sidhe never make a game again. how many times has this been delayed now? I can not belive this sh*t. Unf**kin beliveable

Hmmm - Not a dedicated gameplayer then mate!??!

because as most ppl would know - this happens with just about EVERY new big release!!...Well it @^&#* seems to happen to every damn game I am waiting for!!!

Diablo 2 for eg, took OVER 12 MONTHS to come out, after its initially stated release date!!!...Which as Diablo was at the time - just about my favourite game EVER - was sheer MURDER on me!!!... And there were no developers on chatboards answering my questions, and giving me an updated ETA on when it WOULD be released!! But when it was finally relaesed - Man o MAN was it the bomb of that genre of gaems!!! The game ended up so much bigger & better because o it....And I'd MUSH rather that, than pay top dollar for some bug0ridden,m frustrating piece of CRAP!!!...As so many companies seem to release, with no conscience!!

But what can we do about it!??! Bloody nothing! That's what!!...And I would sooner chew off my own playstation thumb than play a game of @&*&@# Rugby Yawnion on the computer. Even if it was a GOOD game!!....#&**$#ing game's bloody boring ENOUGH in real life, without me wanting to simulate that BOREDOM!!!...I havent even ever played Jonah lomu Rugby!!...Nor will I - EVER!!...So i have NOTHING to tide me over!!....Me and many others!!

So Justincredible - Justbepatientplease!!!! :p

Tadpole said:
Guys like this p*** me right off! Everyone involved in this game has had to work to a very limited budget and what we have seen of it so far has been pretty damn good. Mario has been here in HIS OWN TIME to keep us updated on the going ons of the whole thing.

Like Mario said, they only ever announced 1 release date so therefore it has been delayed once..all other dates that had been flying around were speculative.

Anyway what im trying to say is dont bag Sidhe, Mario or anyone else involved in the production of this game. They have done an outstanding job to date and deserve a big pat on the back for their tireless efforts in bringing a game that people have been waiting for for years.

Anyway thats my 2 bobs worth :)

Dude, I didn't say Sidhe are being lazy or anything, I'm sure they have put a lot of sweat into this game... I'm also appreciative how Mario comes here to communicate with everyone, I sent him an email a while back and he replied within minutes!
I just think that maybe this delay could've been avoided if they planned a little better.
Also regarding the delay... I have no problems with delays, they happen all the time and usually result in an improved product, but the Xbox version (what i'm buying) is just sitting around in completed form out of my reach, that's really rubbing salt into the wound.

Don't think i'm not greatful though, i'm allowed to be dissapointed here cause it stinks. i'm forking out $100 for this game.

PONGIA

Juniors
...God i hope Sony pass it next time, another delay would really be dissapionting. Sony's screwed up my "games to by" list......it was supposed to go:
1 - Jak 2 (bought)
2 - NRL (God knows)
3 - THUG (almost here)
4 - Manhunt (couple more weeks)

Tadpole

Juniors
Dude, I didn't say Sidhe are being lazy or anything, I'm sure they have put a lot of sweat into this game... I'm also appreciative how Mario comes here to communicate with everyone, I sent him an email a while back and he replied within minutes!
I just think that maybe this delay could've been avoided if they planned a little better.
Also regarding the delay... I have no problems with delays, they happen all the time and usually result in an improved product, but the Xbox version (what i'm buying) is just sitting around in completed form out of my reach, that's really rubbing salt into the wound.

Don't think i'm not greatful though, i'm allowed to be dissapointed here cause it stinks. i'm forking out $100 for this game.

sorry mate...i was actually talking about justin...not you :D

Front-Rower

First Grade
This all seems a little strange to me. Now if the NRL has contracted HES to release the game on all three platforms at once, then I have no problem as a contract is a contract.

On the other hand though XBOX a major sponsor of the NRL so why is it that HES and Sidhe and all involved are bowing to the demands of Sony when they really have nothing to with the NRL in Australia??

It seems that other video game developers can release a game on a console weeks or months before if even hits the shelfs for the PC so why can't we reverse it in this situation and leave the PS2 behind and move on with the XBOX and PC versions if they are ready and rearing to go?

Goleel

Juniors
I'd hate to see some of you blokes if you'd want Half-Life 2, Doom 3 or God forbid, Duke Nukem Forever even half as much as Rugby League, because all three of those (especially DNF) have copped delays worse than what we've got.

It'd be even funnier if you guys wanted Daikatana this bad... not only was it two or three years late, it managed to suck, too.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Damm shame that the game is delayed once again, but I spoke to the clerk at Games Wizards he said they were expecting it around December.

I wont be suprised if there is another delay on this game, but this date is surley gotta be the final one. It'll be good for Xmas.