What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Sunshine state Challenge disaster

roopy

Referee
I was just looking around for info on US Rugby League and I came across this article.

http://www.wesclark.com/rrr/us_rugby_league.html

This was obviously written before the ill-fated Sunshine State Challenge where Gormley spent all the money of the then USRL on a tournament in his home town involving three ESL sides and the Tomahawks which effectively left the sport bankrupt in America. Nevertheless, the article gives some insight into the way the sport was developing and we can see with hindsight how well Niu has been able to pull the sport back from the brink of dissappearing alltogether by getting back to the things that had worked before Gormley got involved and slowly building from the ground up, rather than the Gormley approach of charging in with grand plans.

They reckon all great businessmen go broke a few times before they learn to do things right, so let's hope the Sunshine State Challenge was the one big disaster for Rugby League in the US, and not just the first.

Bill

Juniors
This is really confusing.

I read through the AMNRL site, and I have looked at the article in this thread, and it all seems to be totally at odds.

The article in this thread talks about Jacksonville as the main site, while the AMNRL site doesn't mention Jacksonville at all.

Is there another League playing out of Jacksonville, and do they have a website?