What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Sydney rugby league media - a haven for personal agendas, hate and grudges

Knightmare

Coach
Plenty of Bogans associated with AFL just move to Melbourne and you will find out.

AFL press coverage is something to be admired.

They have guys, not employed by the AFL in both the Herald Sun and on SEN (Sports Radio) who actively promote and DEFEND the game against people complaining about umpires, players behavouir etc.

There is a letter Column in the Saturday Herald which has guys write in and say, the umpire got it wrong on Fri night, and the Herald journo actually defends the decisions etc. Same situation happens on talkback on SEN.

Can you IMAGINE either the Age (which is half decent) or the TeleCouriermail doing this?

Take a glance at the supporter demographic of Collingwood and Richmond and people will see your point is spot-on. And don't even start on fans of the Adelaide clubs. These are the sort of people who go to Mt Panorama every year and camp out on the top of the hill.

West Coast and Brisbane (not Melbourne, but still AFL clubs) are the domain of noveau bogues, or the cashed-up bogan who drinks Corona, wears Ralph Lauren polo's and has a Commodore Clubsport with a Chevy badge on it. You see such people at Flemington every year for the Melbourne Cup, where they think drinking Moet and wearing an expensive suit covers for the fact that they get totally plastered and end up trying to glass somebody.

Knownothing

Juniors
Of course Melbourne is a real city. The geography of the metropolitan area is very different to that of Sydney, of course, and it is a touch more civilised, for sure.

As for the AFL being an establishment game in Victorina, that is blindingly obvious to anybody who has ever lived there for any length of time - the fact that bogans also follow the game does not negate this point in any way.

LESStar58

Referee
i can't really advise if it's the same down here as it's 99% AFL in the papers, and i really don't follow that sport...

RL wise, you really don't hear much, except for a full page storm preview on friday & maybe a half page wrap up of the storm game after the match.. well, that's in the herald sun (DT equivalent..).. the age gives you bugger all RL..

Which is a shame. Stathi Paxinos is a brilliant league writer with what colum space they give him.

POPEYE

Coach
Interesting, but I have to say I disagree. From my travels, Melbourne has the feel of a Scandanavian or European town (Copenhagen, Stockholm, Vienna etc.) Sydney is more like an American city (probably NYC or Chicago) while Brisbane is like Denver, Kansas City or one of those smaller American capitals. I can imagine finding Canberra in a small country like Belgium or Luxembourg, while Perth feels like being in another country where the people speak with an Australian accent. I can't work out what part of the world it feels like, though.

In regards to the Sydney/ Melbourne thing, Melbourne is basically the CBD and then residential suburbs surrounding it. Sydney has the CBD then a a whole lot of regions and mini CBD's (North Sydney, Chatswood, Hurstville, Bankstown, Ryde, Parramatta, Penrith) surrounding it, which is probably what gives Melbourne and even Brisbane more a feeling of unity, even though Brisbane is more spread out than Sydney.

Looks to me like you are agreeing not disagreeing.

beave

Coach
I shake my head when I hear the Aussie Rules lovers try and claim that League is a 'bogans game'....................

TATTOEDCOL_ARTICLE_IMAGE_IA017416_42061.JPG

780833-collingwood-fanatics-myiah-with-dad-justin-witcombe.jpg

81153510.jpg

f**king pull the other one........

Knownothing

Juniors
I shake my head when I hear the Aussie Rules lovers try and claim that League is a 'bogans game'....................

f**king pull the other one........

Bogans play and watch AFL. But AFL is played at Geelong Grammar, Melbourne Grammar, etc etc etc.

If it comes to a comparison of the supporters of the two games, I think the AFL might be a little higher on the socio-economic totem poll.

seanoff

Juniors
there's a lot more cross pollination in the AFL media. people tend not to appear on just the one channel/station/paper which seems to happen in Sydney. + there are so many more stations and they all get to cover games so there is no bad blood on that front either. and also they all chat during and after the game in the press area.

In Melbourne someone like Hadley would appear on the Footy Show, or League Lounge as well as the radio stuff. but it doesn't seem to happen so much.

undertaker

Coach
Interesting, but I have to say I disagree. From my travels, Melbourne has the feel of a Scandanavian or European town (Copenhagen, Stockholm, Vienna etc.) Sydney is more like an American city (probably NYC or Chicago) while Brisbane is like Denver, Kansas City or one of those smaller American capitals. I can imagine finding Canberra in a small country like Belgium or Luxembourg, while Perth feels like being in another country where the people speak with an Australian accent. I can't work out what part of the world it feels like, though.

In regards to the Sydney/ Melbourne thing, Melbourne is basically the CBD and then residential suburbs surrounding it. Sydney has the CBD then a a whole lot of regions and mini CBD's (North Sydney, Chatswood, Hurstville, Bankstown, Ryde, Parramatta, Penrith) surrounding it, which is probably what gives Melbourne and even Brisbane more a feeling of unity, even though Brisbane is more spread out than Sydney.

Very interesting that you said that Knightmare. You do realise that in the draft proposal for Federation (pre-1901), New Zealand and Fiji were going to join Australia and Western Australia were going to be their own independent nation (until some dispute at the last minute, can't remember exactly what it was). Since then, there have been a few votes/referendums regarding Western Australia obtaining independence from the rest of Australia, but they haven't been passed through.

However, I do concur with the part in bold. Being one of the most isolated cities in the world, when I went to Perth 4 years ago, I definitely felt like it was "very different" from all the other places in Australia I've travelled to.

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
If it comes to a comparison of the supporters of the two games, I think the AFL might be a little higher on the socio-economic totem poll.

According to official survey results NRL fans are richer on average because NSW & QLD are richer states.

eozsmiles

Bench
Anyone that has spent 10 minutes working in the media knows how it works. The saying "it bleeds, it leads" extends much further than a car crash. David Gyngell was quoted speaking at a RL luncheon recently and he was clear that the bad behaviour rates better than the do gooders. David will tell you that the DT sold more copies today than it did yesterday. Is it their fault for letting us lead them? Are they misinterpreting us? Or is it our fault for consuming this stuff?

Doesn't matter if it's Todd Carney or Hadley vs Voss. Both get more viewers than that David Mead try.

Knightmare

Coach
Very interesting that you said that Knightmare. You do realise that in the draft proposal for Federation (pre-1901), New Zealand and Fiji were going to join Australia and Western Australia were going to be their own independent nation (until some dispute at the last minute, can't remember exactly what it was). Since then, there have been a few votes/referendums regarding Western Australia obtaining independence from the rest of Australia, but they haven't been passed through.

However, I do concur with the part in bold. Being one of the most isolated cities in the world, when I went to Perth 4 years ago, I definitely felt like it was "very different" from all the other places in Australia I've travelled to.

I think with Perth, it's a combination of the big, stunning blue sky, the red dusty grime on everything and the way everything is somewhat brighter over there.

supercharger

Juniors
I think with Perth, it's a combination of the big, stunning blue sky, the red dusty grime on everything and the way everything is somewhat brighter over there.
Having lived in perth for 10 years the biggest thing that sticks out to me
is how soft this city is

supercharger

Juniors
on topic both are unique you wont find a media as protective and insular as the one that exists in melbourne
and i cant think of a situation like sydney the constant sniping at other journos and everyone pushing their own barrel it gets tiresome just write about the game ffs forget the egos

beave

Coach
Bogans play and watch AFL. But AFL is played at Geelong Grammar, Melbourne Grammar, etc etc etc.

Did this pillar of class and inspiration attend a private school???

ben_cousins.jpg

I'll give you the tip, he f**king well did.

I'd love to know how you can justify so 'matter of factly' stating that the AFL are higher on the totem pole supporter wise, some of the AFL fans I have seen on the walk to the MCG 2 years ago for the 'dream time' looked like they hadn't showered in 6 months.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think it is very myopic to suggest one fan base is any different than anothers. That is just nice stereotyping perpetuated by the media and fans of each code having serious chips on their shoulders. I have seen bogans and millionaires at just about every sporting event I have been to (yes even polo!).

Did this pillar of class and inspiration attend a private school???

ben_cousins.jpg

I'll give you the tip, he f**king well did.

I'd love to know how you can justify so 'matter of factly' stating that the AFL are higher on the totem pole supporter wise, some of the AFL fans I have seen on the walk to the MCG 2 years ago for the 'dream time' looked like they hadn't showered in 6 months.

Here's a pic of AFL's most famous fan....

joffa-story1.jpg

Brutus

Referee
Rugby league would be in private schools if it wasn't for the rugby union nazis running them.

The AFL doesn't have this 'rugby divide' problem in Melbourne. They have a virtual monopoly.

Knownothing

Juniors
Rugby league would be in private schools if it wasn't for the rugby union nazis running them.

The AFL doesn't have this 'rugby divide' problem in Melbourne. They have a virtual monopoly.

Why would any parent send their kids to schools run by Nazis?

slipperykinchela

First Grade
Getting back to the original thread, I seriously doubt any afl journo would spend a week writing stories about a notepad a football director was doodling on.

Latest posts