What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Sydney rugby league media - a haven for personal agendas, hate and grudges

Brutus

Referee
That's possibly because AFL powerbrokers would not make the sort of fuss about nothing that Gould has made.

They have no need to kick up a fuss.

Rugby league powerbrokers do, especially since Superleague.

It's chalk and cheese.

Gippsy

Bench

Quote:
The difference between the scandals in the AFL and NRL often reflects the difference in style between Melbourne and Sydney. In Victoria scandals are downplayed, in Sydney they are amplified. Victorians rally around the AFL for the good of the game, and argue that player scandals shouldn’t detract from what’s happening on the park. In Sydney the games can often seem secondary to the scandals as the media and public throw themselves into discussion over whether league can ever recover from the latest player drama or administrative c**k-up.

This is the big difference. If the recent AFL scandals had of occurred in the NRL we'd be seeing the Sydney media launching a campaign to have NRL abolished.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Quote:
The difference between the scandals in the AFL and NRL often reflects the difference in style between Melbourne and Sydney. In Victoria scandals are downplayed, in Sydney they are amplified. Victorians rally around the AFL for the good of the game, and argue that player scandals shouldn’t detract from what’s happening on the park. In Sydney the games can often seem secondary to the scandals as the media and public throw themselves into discussion over whether league can ever recover from the latest player drama or administrative c**k-up.

This is the big difference. If the recent AFL scandals had of occurred in the NRL we'd be seeing the Sydney media launching a campaign to have NRL abolished.

even Fat Pat wrote about the difference

Setanta O'hAilpin lucky he's not a rugby league player

Knownothing

Juniors
how do you change it? that is the question!

The AFL gets a lot of coverage in Melbourne, the NRL ditto in Sydney.

Media coverage generates interest in the respective codes. Short of having government run media, there is no way to change the way the respective codes are covered.

Apparently the Sydney media believes that NRL supporters are interested in the things they cover, and the way they are covered - ditto the AFL media in Melbourne. That is how private enterprise works.

I suppose the NRL/ARL could set up its own newspapers. :D Not sure how long they would survive, though.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Strong-minded people running the game would help.

Agreed, that and an much greater level of independence from the media companies that print this rubbish. At the moment the tail is very much wagging the dog. For all its Goebbels esk media control you have to admire the way AFL has control over media impact on its brand. Contra deals, media feeling the need to keep in the good books due to access and sponsorship/ad placement and a much better media management department is how they do it and we need to quickly do the same imo.

El Diablo

Post Whore
this was from Steve Ricketts article posted here http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=327989

Some of it has to do with the willingness of "the general public" to convey even the most trivial of things to an insatiable media.

One Sydney paper even has a daily "Eyespy" column with riveting pieces of information like: "Des Hasler: Spotted walking along the Corso."

At Terrigal leading up to Origin II, the Queensland players had a night out to celebrate the birthdays of Billy Slater and Cameron Smith, and finished up in the same bar as members of the travelling media, including yours truly.

None of us witnessed anything which warranted a story, but we woke two days later to "Drunken Maroons" headlines in a local paper.

It seems a passer-by saw the players outside the bar and phoned 000 to report an incident, which the police investigated before finding nothing untoward had happened.

My love for the game hasn't stopped me writing "negative" stories when required, whether they are to do with off-field incidents, attendances, refereeing or administration.

I'm not going to defend every "journo" covering the game, or bag them either, whatever their motives or preferences when it comes to sport.

There are one or two I have met who would defect to union as quickly as Sonny Bill Williams if it looked like becoming the No. 1 sport.

I must confess to feeling uncomfortable when some scribes - very few I might add - have reacted with joy after learning of another so-called league atrocity.

It is one thing to report things faithfully and to get satisfaction from a job well done. It is another to get a high from the code's misfortune.

Knownothing

Juniors
I worked for a big bank a few years ago and underwent "media training". It boiled down to this - just say one thing, and keep saying it. (This advice will not surprise anybody who is repelled by tv interviews of politicians).

On another occasion I worked for a large organisation with a big media profile, and was interviewed a couple of times - the printed story bore little resemblance to the essence of what I said, let alone the detail.

Good luck to anybody who wants to control the media. They cannot even print a simple story accurately, at least in my experience.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, it would be interesting to hear from the Melbourne people on here about what goes on down there in their media.
Melbourne media essentially mention the bad stories but try their level best to mention it as little as they possibly can so they have more time to wank themselves silly over the game.

Each news night has some wank of a story about some 47 year old AFL player who went to a school and managed not to get any of the girls pregnant.

In all seriousness the media just focusses on the game itself and barely reports on what goes on outside that.

Anything outside that is often kept as quiet as possible and the topic is quickly changed to some other subject

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I worked for a big bank a few years ago and underwent "media training". It boiled down to this - just say one thing, and keep saying it. (This advice will not surprise anybody who is repelled by tv interviews of politicians).

On another occasion I worked for a large organisation with a big media profile, and was interviewed a couple of times - the printed story bore little resemblance to the essence of what I said, let alone the detail.

Good luck to anybody who wants to control the media. They cannot even print a simple story accurately, at least in my experience.
that sounds more like sales, not media

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Bogans play and watch AFL. But AFL is played at Geelong Grammar, Melbourne Grammar, etc etc etc.

If it comes to a comparison of the supporters of the two games, I think the AFL might be a little higher on the socio-economic totem poll.

Really?

Sorry the link is dead now.

In a league of their own
By Michael McGuire
February 27, 2004

WHAT is the richest sport in Australia as measured by fan base?

Rugby union is likely to be the first sport to jump to mind - all those tweed jackets, leather elbow patches, Range Rovers and merchant bankers would seemingly guarantee the No.1 spot.

But a new survey by data marketing group, Torque, has found while union certainly has more seriously rich fans, rugby league is Australia's richest sport.

This is partly because it has more fans in the nation's most populous and expensive state, but it's still good news for a code widely regarded as the sport of the working class.

Torque says rugby league is the richest sport in "terms of the total affluence of its supporter base" - just beating the Australian Football League.

Part of the reason for this is that average incomes in rugby league strongholds NSW and Queensland are higher than in southern AFL states such as Victoria and South Australia.

Torque asked 3222 people about sport and 2726 of them nominated a code that particularly interested them and that was then further divided by income.

It found league was over-represented in the $100,001 to $150,000 household income bracket compared to the general population, but under-represented in the less than $30,000 band.

Of those that nominated league as their preferred sport, 13.4 per cent of league's supporter base fell in between $100,000 and $150,000, while 22.36 per cent earned less than $30,000.

League only just fell short of toppling rugby union in the $100,000 to $150,000 category, with 13.68 per cent of those identifying themselves as union fans falling in that band.

The AFL could find only 9.25 per cent in that category to be the poor relation of both. Torque managing partner Sean Cooper says the figures contradict conventional wisdom that league is almost exclusively a blue-collar sport.

"The image of the game is not reflected by its fan base," Cooper says. "But it is surprising that rugby league is as mid-market as it is."

It also raises the question of whether rugby league has been marketing itself to the right audience.

Of the 73 respondents in the $150,000 to $200,000 category, 2.4 per cent identified as rugby league fans, 3.36 per cent were union and 2.83 per cent AFL. Beyond $200,000, the split of the 38 sport fans was 1.2 per cent league, 2.69 per cent union and 1.1 per cent AFL.

Torque also found that rugby league had more than its fair share of fans classified as senior government or business manager or executive.

While it was doing well in the professional ranks, it missed out with farmers who make up less than 1 per cent of its fan base.

The figures will be welcome news for a sport that has been having a horror week following allegations that six members of the Bulldogs sexually assaulted a woman at a Coffs Harbour, NSW, hotel at the weekend. The problem for league, however, will be hanging on to those affluent fans if the Bulldogs scandal continues to run.

Bulldogs sponsors will be closely examining the good conduct provisions in their contracts and fans might not be too far behind.

The Torque survey also examined sponsorship by asking its respondents about products and services they actually used.

Electronics group, LG, which sponsors the Sharks in the National Rugby League and Melbourne in the AFL, was the big winner, outperforming rivals Panasonic, Philips, Pioneer and Samsung across the three codes.

Citibank was the favoured financial service provider for league and union fans, while AFL fans stuck with the AMP and ANZ.

But in a victory for good taste, Torque also found that fans across the union-league-AFL divide were all united in at least one thing - all were unlikely to have read any of the last four issues of either Woman's Day or That's Life magazines.

The Australian

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not a lot of difference

2010 ABS
StateAverage Annual Wage
Australian Capital Territory$75,514
Western Australia$70,101
New South Wales$65,863
Queensland$63,840
Victoria$62,847
Northern Territory$61,870
South Australia$59,176
Tasmania$55,255

Knownothing

Juniors
Really?

Sorry the link is dead now.

Income is only one factor in determining socio-economic status. There are lots of bogan families earning lots of money, nobody would dispute that (at least I would not). A family unit in which all members leave school early and work might earn heaps more than a family in which kids are encouraged to pursue further studies, for example. I would imagine that it is possible that a family which encourages kids to stay at school, college, university etc might be of a higher socio-economic status than families with a higher income in which kids are out earning at an early age, even if family income is lower - either as a whole, or per capita.

I am not a social scientist, but I would assume that factors like educational attainment, employment history, and residential location would be as, if not more, important than income in determining socio-economic status.

Last edited:

ozjet1

the media isnt what it is because of the city it is based.

it comes down to the people and personalities within it, and when you have f**kwits who believe a debate, concern or even a simple conversation should always be conducted belligerently, then what you have is the sydney rugby league media.

Brutus

Referee
The Sydney RL media loves going off the deep-end and printing crap when it comes to RL.

That's why I'm suprised they haven't speculated at the real reason why the Roosters have gone shithouse this year and why Carney has gone off the rails a tad.

They've hinted at it in gossip columns without naming names.

Latest posts