What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The T.V Rights Thread Part III

How much will the Total Broadcast Rights Deal be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Looking forward to tomorrow and the Ch9 bid being beaten by 20% hopefully! Does that end their F&LR forever or just this negotiation? How many more negotiations will they have that for anyway?

Best outcome has to be
4 FTA and finals on Ch10
Ch7 Allstars, World 9's, SOO, 4 nations and and World cups
Fox live every game
Telstra live every game on internet and mobile

Live national coverage for all FTA games and Rep games (2Friday nights digital, 2Sunday games on main channel outside NSW and Q'land)

Fixed schedule

Plenty of contra and positive advertising clauses

9 games a week with Brisbane2 and Perth in the comp from 2014

Total value of media rights $1.4billion

That would be the ultimate outcomes for me!

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Looking forward to tomorrow and the Ch9 bid being beaten by 20% hopefully! Does that end their F&LR forever or just this negotiation? How many more negotiations will they have that for anyway?

Best outcome has to be
4 FTA and finals on Ch10
Ch7 Allstars, World 9's, SOO, 4 nations and and World cups
Fox live every game
Telstra live every game on internet and mobile

Live national coverage for all FTA games and Rep games (2Friday nights digital, 2Sunday games on main channel outside NSW and Q'land)

Fixed schedule

Plenty of contra and positive advertising clauses

9 games a week with Brisbane2 and Perth in the comp from 2014

Total value of media rights $1.4billion

That would be the ultimate outcomes for me!

For me it'd be 9 games in HD on FTA nationwide, spread over 7, 9 & 10. All games would also be simulcast ad-free on FoxSports.

State of Origin live in HD nationwide on 7, 9, 10 (different channel each year) & Fox Sports.

All Kangaroos matches live nationwide on Ten and Fox Sports in HD.
All England/GB, NZ and Super League matches live on Fox Sports in HD. Super League match of the round on FTA each week.

Game of the Week from Queensland Cup and NSW Cups live on both ABC and Ten (diff games for each network=four games a week covered).

All NRL Under 20's live on Fox Sports, Channel Ten chooses one U20's Game of the Week to show on FTA each week.

Oh and international coverage via Youtube, Sky Sports in NZ and UK and Spike in the USA.

Oh and for 2 billion, contra extra. That's my ultimate. :)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Having FTA games on does effect crowds though imo so we have to accept lower crowds if all games are on FTA live. Unless we move to a blackout system where a game is delayed unless sold out?

docbrown

Coach
Having FTA games on does effect crowds though imo so we have to accept lower crowds if all games are on FTA live. Unless we move to a blackout system where a game is delayed unless sold out?

Or a pre-sale %

The deal should be large enough to address ticket prices and that should help offset any effect.

supera

Juniors

has there been any investigations as to whether or not this is true?

i know in the AFL a couple of clubs (namely Collingwood) were able to demonstrate to the AFL and to broadcasters that live against the gate did not affect attendances.

on a local level, i know that the sample of Raiders games on FTA is limited, but FTA coverage doesn't seem to affect attendance at all.

elbusto

Coach
has there been any investigations as to whether or not this is true?

i know in the AFL a couple of clubs (namely Collingwood) were able to demonstrate to the AFL and to broadcasters that live against the gate did not affect attendances.

on a local level, i know that the sample of Raiders games on FTA is limited, but FTA coverage doesn't seem to affect attendance at all.
Surely the more FTA exposure you get, more people will see the game, and the more likely fans will want to come and see a game.

Collingwood are probably correct.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...profit-downgrade/story-e6frg9io-1226338867633

Seven West Media takes a bath on profit downgrade

by: John Durie
April 26, 2012 1:20PM

THE surprise from Seven Media's profit downgrade was more around cost increases than the expected fall in advertising revenues.

As expected the stock took a bath today, down 15.9 per cent to $3.17 a share, in part because punters don't like companies playing games like releasing bad news after market ahead of a national holiday.

If lack of revenue was the only issue, then maybe Ten (down 0.6 per cent at 82 cents) and Fairfax (down 2.8 per cent at 70c) would have been down more.

Seven is investing in television programming with the AFL to cost another $100 million this year, which on Deutsche Bank numbers means television costs are increasing by 8.3 per cent.

Without the AFL rights, the cost increase would only be 1.4 per cent, on Deutsche calculations.

Others misinterpreted early Seven guidance but, either way, Seven is pumping more money into programming just when a dismal economy is making it virtually impossible to recover costs.

That advertising revenues are down came as no surprise to anyone.

Ten reported earlier this month, so its numbers were well known and probably reminded the folk at Seven to re-check their figures.

Both Seven and Ten hit 52-week highs with the rest of the market at the end of April 2011, and at 82c, Ten is below the 12-month average of 95c while Seven at $3.17 is well above its 52c average of $2.50.

The bottom line to all this of course is this - if June year-end companies are issuing profit warnings in April, then it’s a tough market.

The peak warning month is June, but already some companies have thrown in the towel as far as meeting this year’s numbers and we still have nine weeks trading to go.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Am i to understand that the new contract is going to be revealed this coming Monday?

no

1st May is the day other networks can make a bid

doubt it will all happen on that day though seeing 9 have had an exclusive 90 day first offer period

Didgi

Since I'm lazy and not too keen to read through three threads, is anyone able to give an extremely brief rundown on the current state of the anti-siphoning laws and any upcoming changes?

RLNY

Juniors
Telstra, AFL, NRL win live footy court battle

Paul Bibby

April 27, 2012 - 9:21AM
  • Read later

Telstra, the NRL and AFL have won their appeal against Optus's online broadcasting of Australian football and rugby league games, re-establishing Telstra's role as the dominant sports broadcaster.
Earlier this year, Optus won a landmark Federal Court case which allowed it to continue operating its TV Now system, whereby viewers could watch video streams of AFL and NRL matches as close as two minutes behind the live TV broadcast.
This is despite the fact that Telstra already has a deal to screen the live TV broadcast on the internet.
Advertisement: Story continues below
Then, the Federal Court upheld Optus's right to stream the games, rejecting the argument of the AFL, NRL and Testra that Optus's actions were a breach of copyright.
The court previously ruled that it was the subscriber, not Optus, who actually chooses to stream the event and that the action is similar to using a video casette recorder to copy a television broadcast.
But an appeal panel of the Federal Court today overturned the decision, finding that Optus was responsible for the act of recording and it had it therefore breached copyright laws.
Telstra has previously claimed that a decision in favour of Optus could impact on any future exclusive rights deals, stripping the codes of valuable revenue. It has forked out millions in deals with the two codes to stream the games.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/tels...ourt-battle-20120427-1xoth.html#ixzz1tByJQsRB

Perth Red

Post Whore
Is the bid that has gone is so far just a Ch9+Fox joint bid for all games? or is the two areas seperate ie Ch9 bidding for X amount of fta games and Fox bidding for whatever it is after? ie could the NRL accept the Fox bid but seek a different FTA partnership?

I just checked GEM (vic) on Nein's website and they did not have tonights game on there.

Have these turkeys pulled the plug on playing the games on GEM already?

Someone please tell me the games are still being shown in Melbourne before midnight tonight...

Flapper

First Grade
Heard a rumour on 2gb that 7 plan to bid on all games, then onsell to ten and/or Fox, and get first choice of games. Anyone heard anything similar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts