What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

the thing with ireland

The qualifier wa shown live on Middle Eastern TV specifically because people do take notice of RL in Lebanon and they've had plenty of other media coverage in recent years too. That's why big companies like the Bank of Beiruit and Bartecard have sponsored Lebanese RL. Not to mention the fact they got 9,000 to a Med Cup game against France.

Does anybody seriously think Ireland would get a game on TV there if it wasn't for their access to English Sky Sports? The game there also has no real major sponsors, gets no real media coverage and as far as I can tell the biggest RL crowd ever in Ireland was the 3200 they got in Belfast (where there are still no RL clubs) at the last WC.

VonVolks

Juniors
im a fan of Lebanese league, but I know nothing about Irish league. But it seems to me that at least they are trying.

As Screeny said, maybe the WC will help boost the sports image in Ireland if they can take advantage of it?

Fighting about "who's best" Ireland or Lebanon RL seems a bit pointless, as they are both in clearly different situations...

screeny

Bench
The Clan said:
Checking out the Lebanese web site and it seems that only two games a week are played in the domestic League and for 50% of those there are no results posted at all or recorded anyhwere! 50%?

That to me calls it's legitimacy into question.

It suggests that no one really gives a sh*t about Lebanese Rugby League.
What do you think?

I just checked out the lebanese site too. Of course only two games are played a week. I'll leave it to you to work out why. Seems to me that every season has pretty much every game accounted for in terms of a result and a match report. I, like many people, read 'em. This latest season, if you'd been paying attention, was halted due to the fighting at Nahr El Bared making it impossible to continue with the league. That's a pretty good reason. What was the Irish teams' reason for not turning up 31 times?

So your point is actually bollocks. But you knew that and were just lashing out.

screeny

Bench
Copa said:
I can imagine how some on here would promote rl...

Come to our new rl club.... we are not connected to any established sports club therefore have no easy access to facilities.... we have no connection to union therefore you remain "pure"...

I like the way you have puerilely latched onto the word pure as though your argument had absolutely no weight and the only thing you could do is harp on about the use of a word. Oh, wait a minute....

(I even used the word puerilely as it sounds like pure, so now you can have twice the fun.)

Do you think a league that has 31 no shows in a season is respectful of RL? Personally I think it's quite embarrassing. If you disagree, fine, we have different opinions.

And do you think having RL clubs - organisations which are set up purely (there it is again - you must be in paroxysms of giggles) to deal with one sport, RL - as opposed to RU clubs whose players play a touch of RL in the summer is better for overall development of the sport?

The Clan

Juniors
screeny said:
I just checked out the lebanese site too. Of course only two games are played a week. I'll leave it to you to work out why. Seems to me that every season has pretty much every game accounted for in terms of a result and a match report. I, like many people, read 'em. This latest season, if you'd been paying attention, was halted due to the fighting at Nahr El Bared making it impossible to continue with the league. That's a pretty good reason. What was the Irish teams' reason for not turning up 31 times?

So your point is actually bollocks. But you knew that and were just lashing out.

No!

I was just pointing out that the websites for both don't tell the whole story of whats going on.

Your announcement that the Irish domestic league isn't credible and that no one gives a sh*t was based on poor knoweledge of the game in Ireland and a small snapshot of information that you found on their website.

I merely did the same thing on the Lenanon site to illustrate your error.

But you knew that and you were just pretending to be thick!

dibviking

Juniors
East Coast Tiger said:
The qualifier wa shown live on Middle Eastern TV specifically because people do take notice of RL in Lebanon and they've had plenty of other media coverage in recent years too. That's why big companies like the Bank of Beiruit and Bartecard have sponsored Lebanese RL. Not to mention the fact they got 9,000 to a Med Cup game against France.

Does anybody seriously think Ireland would get a game on TV there if it wasn't for their access to English Sky Sports? The game there also has no real major sponsors, gets no real media coverage and as far as I can tell the biggest RL crowd ever in Ireland was the 3200 they got in Belfast (where there are still no RL clubs) at the last WC.

?? Belfast is not in Ireland

bowes

Juniors
dibviking said:
?? Belfast is not in Ireland
it is in Ireland, it's not in the Republic of Ireland, but the rugby league (and rugby union and cricket and as far as I know a lot of other sports) team in as all-Ireland team

bowes

Juniors
The Clan said:
There is a huge number of RU clubs in Ireland and many of their players would rather play Rugby League.
if they'd rather play RL why not have an 8 month RL season not a 3 month one squashed into the RU off-season?

screeny

Bench
The Clan said:
No!

I was just pointing out that the websites for both don't tell the whole story of whats going on.

Your announcement that the Irish domestic league isn't credible and that no one gives a sh*t was based on poor knoweledge of the game in Ireland and a small snapshot of information that you found on their website.

I merely did the same thing on the Lenanon site to illustrate your error.

But you knew that and you were just pretending to be thick!

So a league with 31 no shows is credible, is it? I never said 'no one gives a sh*t' so please don't lie about what I've said.

But your point is bollocks as the information extrapolated from both sites gives pretty clear (and different) information, yet you try to pass off your technique as an ingenious way of demonstrating a point.

Anyway, I hope the Irish RL benefits greatly from their victory and qualification, I just happen to think the game would've gained more from lebanon's inclusion. But good luck to ireland, and Scotland too.

RLIF

Juniors
Smith has yet to use Huddersfield lock Stephen Wild, Leeds second rower Jamie Jones-Buchanan, Salford wing David Hodgson, Hull centre Kirk Yeaman and Bradford fullback Michael Platt. The latter seems unlikely because he has elected to play for Ireland at the World Cup.

winnyason

Juniors
i have to agree that there are question marks over ireland & there domestic development.
Scotland in my opinion have come along well since last world cup & have a realistic chance of a national league team in the near future.

deluded pom?

Coach
winnyason said:
i have to agree that there are question marks over ireland & there domestic development.
Scotland in my opinion have come along well since last world cup & have a realistic chance of a national league team in the near future.

Scotland currently have about five teams in the Summer conference league. They are nowhere near getting a team in the NL in the near future.

roughyedspud

Coach
winnyason said:

those question marks you have over ireland is becasue you have'nt a clue what you're talking about mate....

as i've said before,the RLi domestic & financal structure is probably the best outside of the ARL,RFL,NZRL & FFR..and every developing RL nation in the world should look toward ireland and how they've done things...

infact the way the irish & lebanese have gone about thing in recent years pretty much mirror each other,both have stable domestic leagues,though the irish league is 3 times the size of the lebanese league with 15 teams,both send their domestic 'A' teams all over the place,both have signed very good sponsorship deals and i'm not surprised that when both the "test teams" played they resulted in 2 draws...

so please stop having ago at ireland,a hell of alot of hard work has gone into where they are at the moment.....

just a note on the GP irish players...all of them have multiple caps,they are'nt "bandwagon jumpers" like a robbie farah.....

bowes

Juniors
roughyedspud said:
as i've said before,the RLi domestic & financal structure is probably the best outside of the ARL,RFL,NZRL & FFR..and every developing RL nation in the world should look toward ireland and how they've done things...
PNG, Tonga, Russia, Fiji, USA...

Even though there's three times as many teams in Ireland than Lebanon roughly the same number of games actually get played...

RLIF

Juniors
bowes said:
PNG, Tonga, Russia, Fiji, USA...

Even though there's three times as many teams in Ireland than Lebanon roughly the same number of games actually get played...

So what? In my 14 team comp in NZ this year we had 20 rounds in which there would have been at least 15-20 defualts and 3 teams pulled out.

RLI have done wonders over there with there comps, they have even changed the comp point system to help teams stop defualting.

deluded pom?

Coach
RLIF said:
Michael Platt. The latter seems unlikely because he has elected to play for Ireland at the World Cup.

But the current series is between GB&I and New Zealand so there's nothing to stop Smith picking Platt if he wants to.

bowes

Juniors
RLIF said:
So what? In my 14 team comp in NZ this year we had 20 rounds in which there would have been at least 15-20 defualts and 3 teams pulled out.

RLI have done wonders over there with there comps, they have even changed the comp point system to help teams stop defualting.
more pointing out that sheer number of teams is not the most effective way to measure development, but there's a number of factors of which it is just one

nadera78

Juniors
deluded pom? said:
But the current series is between GB&I and New Zealand so there's nothing to stop Smith picking Platt if he wants to.

Except for the fact that he's sh*t! He had a great start to the season and scored a fair few tries, but he's aweful under a high kick, and isn't the best tackler either. A few FB's in front of him IMO.

deluded pom?

Coach
nadera78 said:
Except for the fact that he's sh*t! He had a great start to the season and scored a fair few tries, but he's aweful under a high kick, and isn't the best tackler either. A few FB's in front of him IMO.

I wasn't pushing for Platt to be picked just pointing out that there's nothing to stop Smith picking him for this weekend's Test. I'm not annoying you because I don't come from the beautiful South am I nad? Lost the chip please.

Latest posts