What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

the thing with ireland

screeny

Bench
Copa said:
Maybe only countries with huge expat communities in Sydney should get through eh?

There are more RL players and RL teams in Ireland than there are in Lebanon... ireland also have a student team..

How many pure RL players are there in Ireland compared to Lebanon? Have you ever seen photos/footage of domestic Ireland RL?How many RL only clubs are there in Ireland, compared with lebanon? How many Irish RL coaches and match officials are there?

Proper development is one thing, half hearted development quite something else.

Copa

Bench
screeny said:
How many pure RL players are there in Ireland compared to Lebanon? Have you ever seen photos/footage of domestic Ireland RL?How many RL only clubs are there in Ireland, compared with lebanon? How many Irish RL coaches and match officials are there?

Proper development is one thing, half hearted development quite something else.
"pure"??? well f**k me.... if you're gonna go all like that Lebanon has no pure rl player cos some are also students. I'm sure some irish lads also play Union on some weekends during other times of the year.... uni student/amateur union player... what's the big deal?

Ireland has a ton more teams than Lebanon and a lot more players than lebanon.

screeny

Bench
Copa said:
"pure"??? well f**k me.... if you're gonna go all like that Lebanon has no pure rl player cos some are also students. I'm sure some irish lads also play Union on some weekends during other times of the year.... uni student/amateur union player... what's the big deal?

Ireland has a ton more teams than Lebanon and a lot more players than lebanon.

What would you prefer. Five RL clubs in a country - proper clubs mind - or 15 names of clubs that play RL in the RU offseason?

Don't be stupid about the word 'pure'...you knew what I meant: RL players not RU players trying RL.

There's development and there's development, and numbers on the page aren't the be all and end all.

I ask the question again: how much footage have you seen of Ireland's domestic comp? Personally I've seen coverage/footage of Lebanon's in newspapers and on TV.

I'm not going "all like that" (whatever that means) I'm trying to establish which development is better and has been better for RL. I say Lebanon's has more roots, but if Ireland's domestic comp is on the level then that's great news. I hope Ireland's qualification does as much for RL as Lebanon's would have (to an entirely new region).

Take a look at the RLI site: I counted 31 scores of 24-0 this season. Thirty one! Now I don't know about you but that is not a credible league or a league that really gives a sh*t about RL too much IMO. What do you think?

Copa

Bench
screeny said:
What would you prefer. Five RL clubs in a country - proper clubs mind - or 15 names of clubs that play RL in the RU offseason?

Don't be stupid about the word 'pure'...you knew what I meant: RL players not RU players trying RL.

There's development and there's development, and numbers on the page aren't the be all and end all.

I ask the question again: how much footage have you seen of Ireland's domestic comp? Personally I've seen coverage/footage of Lebanon's in newspapers and on TV.

I'm not going "all like that" (whatever that means) I'm trying to establish which development is better and has been better for RL. I say Lebanon's has more roots, but if Ireland's domestic comp is on the level then that's great news. I hope Ireland's qualification does as much for RL as Lebanon's would have (to an entirely new region).

Take a look at the RLI site: I counted 31 scores of 24-0 this season. Thirty one! Now I don't know about you but that is not a credible league or a league that really gives a sh*t about RL too much IMO. What do you think?
so they're not pure cos they have the wrong hobbies ie union.?

if the irish didn't care they wouldn't even have a comp... and they wouldn't have got their comp sponsors thats for sure..

bazza

Immortal
Why not just include teams like St George and the Broncos - they seem to draw big crowds wherever they play.

There is a qualification process and you have to win games to make it. If you don't win enough games you won't make it.

We could have a 30 team world cup and watch teams get 100 put on them - and then there would still be whinging

screeny

Bench
Copa said:
so they're not pure cos they have the wrong hobbies ie union.?

if the irish didn't care they wouldn't even have a comp... and they wouldn't have got their comp sponsors thats for sure..

So you condone/defend a comp where 31 matches in a season are no-shows?! In my opinion that's a disgrace and an insult to our sport. Do you think that's treating RL with respect? God knows what some of the other matches are like. Maybe 11 v 12 etc etc. And you can still say 'if the Irish didn't care...'. Sounds like there's not much caring going on. 31 matches!!

As for sponsors...aren't they magazines? So the sponsorship might be - I said might as I don't know - simply coverage of RL in the magazines. The other is a sports drink. I know several sports drink sponsors in Dubai and they don't pay cash, they supply drinks. The lebanese sponsorship is money.

And you didn't answer the question: What would you prefer. Five RL clubs in a country or 15 names of clubs with fancy nicknames that play RL in the RU offseason?

What's better long term development for RL, a comp with pure RL players or one where RU players try RL - when they can be arsed it seems, which they couldn't 31 times in a season! - in the offseason?

You seem to have taken a position of defending Ireland and will now do so regardless, despite the obvious weaknesses in the nation's domestic claims. I'd rather Ireland did a small comp with RL clubs for players/officials/coaches/administrators who wanted to concentrate on RL, not RU.

Copa

Bench
screeny said:
So you condone/defend a comp where 31 matches in a season are no-shows?! In my opinion that's a disgrace and an insult to our sport. Do you think that's treating RL with respect? God knows what some of the other matches are like. Maybe 11 v 12 etc etc. And you can still say 'if the Irish didn't care...'. Sounds like there's not much caring going on. 31 matches!!

As for sponsors...aren't they magazines? So the sponsorship might be - I said might as I don't know - simply coverage of RL in the magazines. The other is a sports drink. I know several sports drink sponsors in Dubai and they don't pay cash, they supply drinks. The lebanese sponsorship is money.

And you didn't answer the question: What would you prefer. Five RL clubs in a country or 15 names of clubs with fancy nicknames that play RL in the RU offseason?

What's better long term development for RL, a comp with pure RL players or one where RU players try RL - when they can be arsed it seems, which they couldn't 31 times in a season! - in the offseason?

You seem to have taken a position of defending Ireland and will now do so regardless, despite the obvious weaknesses in the nation's domestic claims. I'd rather Ireland did a small comp with RL clubs for players/officials/coaches/administrators who wanted to concentrate on RL, not RU.
i'd prefer as many people playing rl as possible.... the irish are ,so far, better at that than the lebanese... .there is more than one way to skin the rl cat and the irish are following a different development path.

some ru players might play ru a few times and then couldn't be arsed and some lebanese students might play rl a few time and then couldn't be arsed.....why your focus on the hobby of playing union?

despite some problems....at this poiint in time.. ireland appears to have a much bigger scene than lebanon...

bowes

Juniors
Copa said:
i'd prefer as many people playing rl as possible.... the irish are ,so far, better at that than the lebanese... .there is more than one way to skin the rl cat and the irish are following a different development path.

some ru players might play ru a few times and then couldn't be arsed and some lebanese students might play rl a few time and then couldn't be arsed.....why your focus on the hobby of playing union?

despite some problems....at this poiint in time.. ireland appears to have a much bigger scene than lebanon...
it's a case of commitment not hobby, the Lebanese players play RL as their sport, the Irish players might play a couple of games when they can be bothered, but it's so distant a second sport that no competition exists in the vast majority of the year that the other sport is played

The Observer

Staff member
bowes said:
it's a case of commitment not hobby, the Lebanese players play RL as their sport, the Irish players might play a couple of games when they can be bothered, but it's so distant a second sport that no competition exists in the vast majority of the year that the other sport is played

RU in Ireland is, at best, a distant 3rd choice sport behind Gaelic Football and Hurling too. Perhaps it is behind soccer in participation as well.

Copa

Bench
FMD... RL players can be lazy uni students, no hopers ... anything at all really....

but if there is a touch of union.. they are not pure and the assumption is they ALL don't really give a sh*t.

realredhillboy

Juniors
The Observer said:
RU in Ireland is, at best, a distant 3rd choice sport behind Gaelic Football and Hurling too. Perhaps it is behind soccer in participation as well.
no the pepublic of ireland soccer team is more popular than the union side

realredhillboy said:
no the pepublic of ireland soccer team is more popular than the union side
Sort of. It's hard to compare but there's not much in it. The union side is pretty popular. RU might not be the number one game in Ireland but it is lightyears ahead of us.

screeny

Bench
Copa said:

As Bowes said, the Lebanese players seem to be more committed to RL as their favourite sport. That's far more helpful to the overall development of the sport than just playing matches in a structure that just doesn't hold up.

Couldn't the Irish set up some RL only clubs? Isn't Dublin Blues one?

Copa

Bench
I can imagine how some on here would promote rl...

Come to our new rl club.... we are not connected to any established sports club therefore have no easy access to facilities.... we have no connection to union therefore you remain "pure"...

realredhillboy

Juniors
actually theres a hell of a lot more in it.. back in the 90's names like paul mcgrath,andy townsendand roy keane were household names, you'd find a lot more sport merchandise is sold in the way of republic of ireland jerseys and celtic jerseys than irish union jerseys. hell i'm a 3rd generation australian of irish decent and even i own a rep of ireland jersey. its kind of like a way of showing your ethnic background. and the televised world cup qualifiers they show at pubs are usually packed... i wnt to a 4 am live showing of the 94 world cup qualifier between republic of ireland vs northern ireland back in 93 and the place was packed. even larry mullen from u2 was there.

if ireland can get as successful and one day beat england in a world cup rugby league match then the irish will stand up and take notice.. a team would only have to use the grand parent rule while developing, ireland allready have a local comp and play a regular fixture against the u.s.a and they allready have produced brian carney and if rugby league keeps going in ireland they will produce more players like carney

The Clan

Juniors
Sam_the_man said:
3 local none English born Ireland players in there 17 v Lebanon if i read right.

And six in their squad of 20 which is 3 more than the Lebanon squad had.

Samoa = NZs 2nds
Ireland = Englands 3rds
Lebanon = Australias 6ths

The Clan

Juniors
bowes said:

There is a huge number of RU clubs in Ireland and many of their players would rather play Rugby League. The IRL would be stupid not to tap into a playing resource which is right on their doorstep.

Lebanon does not have anything like that (OK a couple of sub standard Union clubs) so they don't have dual code players playing in their domestic comp.

Are you really trying to say that if RU was as strong in Lebanon as it is in Ireland that the Lebanese would'nt utilise Union players in n attempt to grow their playing numbers and the popularity of the sport.

That said, League in Ireland has had a development officer for a number of years and the sport has a solid foundation of pure Rugby League players. The sport is growing and will benefit from qualifying for the world cup just as much as Lebanon would.

The Clan

Juniors
screeny said:

Checking out the Lebanese web site and it seems that only two games a week are played in the domestic League and for 50% of those there are no results posted at all or recorded anyhwere! 50%?

That to me calls it's legitimacy into question.

It suggests that no one really gives a sh*t about Lebanese Rugby League.
What do you think?

Latest posts