What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Toughest XIII

Mr Saab

Referee
C Mortimer pulled a pin out his broken thumb to play a 1989 semi with the panthers. Nuts!

Green Machine

First Grade
What about when Jimmy Jack had his teeth knocked out in a Saturday game at North Sydney. I think it was 1989 or 1990. He put the teeth in his sock and scored the match winning try. Tough bastard,

MKEB...

Staff member
Garry Mercer played a test with broken Ribs...I didnt like him anyway...thats pretty tough though..

Brendan Tuuta , spear tackling Meninga... (tough or stupid, I cant decide)

Fibroman

First Grade
What about Peter Kelly, former Canterbury and Panther hardman?

Gary jack was pretty tough for a fullback. His howdie doodie nose and face would tend to support that.

Chris 'Lewie' Mortimer another Panther/Bulldog that really stiffened things up in the outside backs.

Mark Bugden once played an entire 7's tournament with a broken radius (arm) didn't bat an eyelid and didn't miss a tackle.

No mention of Dallas Donnelly anywhere?

What about Gavin Miller?

Craig Gower is the toughest I've seen. He would be captain of the side.

Nutz

Bench
Not necessarily listed by position but a few that wore their heart on their sleeve that I used to love watch were....
Gary Jack - Balmain
Trevor Gillmeister - Bronccos
Mick Neil - Balmain
Craig Gower - Penrith
Geoff Toovey - Manly
Johnathan Thurston - Cowboys
Robbie O’Davis - Knights
Jonathan Docking - Sharks
Stacey Jones - Warriors
Matty Bowen - Cowboys

Fangs

Coach
Craig Gower tough or stupid not sure which. Let's say it's ticker.

Watched him get knocked out cold against the Warriors at home. After a few minutes lying on the ground he was assisted to his feet by three trainers and a short time later carried on leading the Penrith attack.

Would often come back very early from injury as well. MCL, fractured sternum, broken hand. That guy was hell bent on playing football no matter what the cost to his body.

Chimp

Bench
Mark Glanville always struck me as someone who was old school hard as nails.
And wasn’t Dave Furner one who nobody wanted to punch on with?

soc123_au

Staff member
Craig Gower tough or stupid not sure which. Let's say it's ticker.

Watched him get knocked out cold against the Warriors at home. After a few minutes lying on the ground he was assisted to his feet by three trainers and a short time later carried on leading the Penrith attack.

Would often come back very early from injury as well. MCL, fractured sternum, broken hand. That guy was hell bent on playing football no matter what the cost to his body.
Gower was a dead set lunatic. A few times he looked like he needed a hearse more than a stretcher only to dust himself off and put in a MoM performance. He & Chris Mortimer are probably the 2 toughest I've ever seen pull on a Panthers jersey. Shout out also to Peter Wallace, finishing a game with a ruptured nut (Origin no less) and the game at Bathurst he played 40 odd minutes with a ruptured ACL. Edwards CCM with a broken foot was also pretty special.

2 others worth a mention are the Morris twins. Cant recall the year but both were pretty severely injured in an Origin game and still managed to ignore the pain and do some miraculous stuff.

Sam Burgess in the 2014 GF also falls into the not sure if tough or stupid category. Either way pretty solid effort.

Chimp

Bench
Mal Reilly would have to be the coach……

Pretty much every rugby league team in the land now do ‘Malcolms’ as both fitness drills and punishments!

Latest posts