What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The treatment of Brett Finch

Prodigiousman

Juniors
a post at the other forum discussed how Stuart and Finch were getting hammered by Roosters fans at the Wall, which inevitably led to Finch being targeted for criticism for the rest of that thread. Well I've had enough... here's something I put together that may or may not make sense but I'm going to post it anyway.

See I can't agree with the hammering of Brett Finch. He's a great player and is the one kid I couldn't believe we were losing at the end of 2002. Not because he left but because of all the talent coming through our ranks he was the one with the skills to be a future rep star. But at the same time I do not hold his decision against him he went to where he could further his career quicker and play under one of the greatest halfbacks the game has seen. It wasn't exactly the money or the box no matter how much you love your club. What irks me the most about the slamming of him - even now 3 years after his departure is you ensure he'll never come back when who knows after the Roosters started to struggle (as time will do when you play at such an intense level for so long) he might've come back to a club where he might've taken us to another level. The point I'm making is Finch was grilled beyond what was a realistic reaction, I was shattered when he left because I believed he was a on the verge of stardom. But to mercilessly hammer away at his integrity as a person on top of his footballing and CAREER decision is unwarranted.
What frustrates me also is the fact the tendancy to hammer players while they are STILL with the club even though they plan to leave. How quickly fans ignorethe good times in this case and go on the offensive yet are more than willing to reflect warmly on the past glory years as a reason why we shouldn't accept poor form now. You can't have it both ways - either you give credit where it is due for one players past performances/dealings as a member of the club or you start focusing on what is happening now within the club - its playing roster and stop criticising them based on the fact we were an all conquering team 10-15 years ago. At the end of the day I'm not saying you have to love every player (heck I don't exactly have Jason Bulgarelli on my Christmas Card list) but to essentially drag a players name and reputation through the mud at EVERY opportunity is just pathetic. Have you ever thought to think that the stories the likes of Brett Finch and Joel Monaghan tell fellow players about how they were sent off in Canberra might affect how players view the captial as a future playing destination? I doubt it and yet we complain that we can't get any players to sign here and its all the Raiders managements fault... Of course on the other hand we're just fans who listens to us but the fact remains that if someone came up to you in your workplace and told you where to shove it because you were OR were rumoured to be going elsewhere you wouldn't exactly call that a positive experience and it wouldn't help you give that company a glowing endorsement if a future colleague asked you about working there.

There is a difference between being passionate about your club and being fanatical about your club. Sadly reason hardly makes an impact on the fanatical fan because as far as they are concerned all that matters is how THEY view the club and if its not done to their liking then 'off with their heads!'. What the fanatical fan fails to realise is the club is run by the same flesh and blood as the fan and that incredibly flesh and blood does make mistakes from time to time - but they also are just as capable of making magic happen from time to fime - the type of magic that no fanatical fan can dream of implementing or following through on. At the end of the day the fan is entitled to rise and fall with their side but I can't see why those same fans deem it their right to speed up the falling of the people within the club. I love my Raiders have since that glorious 1989 season but I have no right to make any attempt to attack those running the club or playing in the uniform. Its often been said that playing sport is a time of release for the individual a chance to get out onto the field and leave their real life troubles behind and take it out on their opposition (ok maybe I reworked something that sounded like that) but to give those individuals anything less than our support and gratitude for getting out there and putting their careers on the line for a measley 2 points every week is a very poor way of carrying out your role as a fan of a club.

I have no idea where the above came from but I do know this - the above applies to all of us (myself included) whether its right, wrong or indifferent but it just annoys me no end to see such a great supporter base (and those not online) lose sight of the fact we can gain so much out of being a passionate supporter of our team but lose even more if we let that passion become fanatacism.

Over the next 6 weeks we as the Canberra Raiders fan base, owe the ENTIRE club our unconditional support as they try and qualify for a fourth straight Finals appearance.

GO YOU RAIDERS!

aussies1st

Staff member
That is one blocked up post. I assume its about Finch, from what i have seen in the raiders forum he ain't well liked and the club was happy to get rid of him.

FullySick

Juniors
Brett Finch is being hammered by the Roosters fans.....Hahahahaaaa.....different club, same reaction.

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
Well, I spent a couple of years defending Finch, firstly when he was in Canberra and later after he was slammed for leaving. My thinking was much the same - give the guy a break. In fact, I wrote a similar email to this a couple of years ago saying that I could never blame someone for leaving a company for furthering their career and had indeed done the same thing.

Over the last couple of years though, I've come to realise one important fact. Brett Finch is a nasty piece of work. I base this on having seen him and the way he was acting in a pub in Coogee, where I think he should have been pitched out by bouncers, and would have been but for the fact he's a footballer. I also base it on his breathtaking arrogance in dealing with opposition fans.

Truth is, he's an OK footballer and a very, very unpleasant human being.

Nope, the guy sets himself up for it and I think he needs to be prepared to take it.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Finch gives back just as much as he receives. He was quite happy to stick his finger up at Raiders fans and later that year comically wave goodbye to a group of them as we were booted from the semi's. That makes him fair game IMO.

jed

First Grade
It's funny to see how quickly fans turn on players. I was reading one old thread the other night where people were naming their favorite players - it was interesting to see some of the ones that were named, among them Joel Monaghan by some people.

Yeah Finch gives as good as he gets, and not just to Raiders fans. We shouldn't go any easier on him simply because he used to be one of ours - he's fair game. But there has got to be a limit, I think that's what prodman's getting at.

Prodigiousman said:
Over the next 6 weeks we as the Canberra Raiders fan base, owe the ENTIRE club our unconditional support as they try and qualify for a fourth straight Finals appearance.

GO YOU RAIDERS!

Well said Prod, well said.

:clap::clap::clap:

Edwahu

Bench
They get bagged because of the way they left. How much bagging of the guys leaving next year has their been?

If you treat the supporters with contempt then you cant complain when you get the same treatment in return. Contempt and Finch seem to go hand in hand, hence him been universally disliked.

dubby

Bench
Prod, I agree with most of what you said mate, certain "fans" don't know when to shut their mouth. How Finch left is what irks alot of fans here, chasing the same dream J Monas is, (a blue jumper) and all the glory that goes from being a Rooster. Well that era is over, the Roosters won't make the finals this year hopefully so let Finch and Joel enjoy their decisions. Our team still has a chance.

I 100% agree on your comment that certain players may look at how particular fans treat their players and that will be in the back of their minds for sure come contract time and choosing a team. Why go to a town where they chase you mob style?
Finch seems to attract attention wherever he goes, its not the good attenton either, he was voted one of the biggest sooks in the game by both fans and peers so that sort of consistantcy accounts for something.

I encourage you to use some paragraphs to make such postings easier to read, I found it an interesting post.

albi

Juniors
I said it in the other thread too.

A lot of time was put into Finch to make him a good player. He thanked management and fans by telling us all to get stuffed. He and his Dad then continued to hurle abuse at us after the fact. That is why I can't stand him. He is a poor sport, and an immature little t*rd

FullySick

Juniors
Enough of the "give the guy a break" stuff. Theres a reason the fans dont enjoy watching him play.

Look at a guy like Schif, the fans absolutely love him and rightly so. Not only is he a champion player, but he also appears to be a good sport and LOVES playing for his chosen team. He encourages his team mates and treats the club with the same respect they show him. He even applauds the fans at EVERY game ive ever been to, which means he knows how passionate some of the fans can be and he appreciates the effort it takes for fans to get to games and the support the fans give the team.

Ruben Wiki unfortunately left the club last year, and seriously maybe Finch could take some lessons with how to conduct yourself from guys like Ruben.

sydraider

First Grade
When we lost finch, I was dissapointed, when he went to the roosters and blurts out sh#t such as "Its nice to be at a club where you can win silverware" (after the world club challenge) , then I had no time for him.
I thank the crookwell witch everyday for playing an avid part in his career!

Raider Ultra

Bench
She is great, he has won bugger all there, and looks like doing so for the rest of his career. I look forward to him being released to Souths next year :D

sydraider said:
When we lost finch, I was dissapointed, when he went to the roosters and blurts out sh#t such as "Its nice to be at a club where you can win silverware" (after the world club challenge) , then I had no time for him.
I thank the crookwell witch everyday for playing an avid part in his career!

LOL she didn't really need to put that hex on him though, he's useless enough as it is.

Hopefully she can put something similar on Ryan O'Hara at the end of this year.

thickos

First Grade
Prod, I'm assuming by your last few lines that this really wasn't about Finch - it was about how guys currently at our club cop a lot of flak from fans - Howell, Gafa, Robbo, Tyran to name a few.

I guess I both agree and disagree with you - when it comes to game day I support all the boys no matter what, cheering that they will lead us to a win - midweek if their performance was not satisfactory I think (being in the public spotlight) that we the fans are entitled to criticise and dissect their efforts - and when players leave I think all of us ask that they don't a. bag the club out or b. act smarmy about it. People are very protective of their football club and to see it insulted is a red rag to a bull for most.

That said, it shouldn't really become personal, especially players still with us. However Finch has given us plenty of sprays in the media, so IMO this is his own doing.

C'arn the Raiders :clap:

Latest posts