What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The trouble with St. George Illawarra

dannyt

Coach
Three friends have a nice meal together, and the bill is $25

The three friends pay $10 each, which the waiter gives to the Cashier

The Cashier hands back $5 to the Waiter

But the Waiter can't split $5 three ways, so he gives the friends one dollar each and keeps 2 dollars as a tip.

They all paid $10 and got $1 back. $10-$1 = $9

There were three of them 3 X $9 = $27

If they paid $27 and the waiter kept $2: $27+$2=$29

Where did the other dollar go? $30 - $1 = $29
I just cheat.
http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.missing.dollar.html

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
So the decade we call the 1990s starts in 1991 and ends in 2000.
By very definition the decade we call the 90’s starts in 1990 - as by naming it the 90s, we have classified the base number as 1990.

If we are accumulating all years since year 1 as our point of reference, we could say the 190th decade starts in 1991..

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Ok, how about this:

The 2,000’s (the oughties) = 2000 to 2009
The 201st decade = 2001 to 2010

Yes they are one year out because decades are overwhelmingly classified using the base 10 system explained by muzby and others. Does this mean there’s a weird 9 year decade at the start? Yep. But that’s ok because we now have a much more intuitive way to describe the decades.

So if someone challenges the claim that the dragons have appeared in a grand final in every decade, they might say “what about the 2000’s??” You can counter, “no we weren’t in a grand final in the 2000’s but we did win the grand final in the 201st decade.” And we only have a couple of years left to make a grand final in the 202nd decade.

On the plus side you are technically correct.
On the negative side you have probably started a brand new argument about how decades are recorded.

Apropos your last paragraph, yes, I am right (technical or otherwise) but I don’t think anyone gives a fig anyway.

SBD82

Coach
OK- so we agree regarding the year 2000 being the last year of the second millennium.

But, if you agree that there is no year 0, then 1-10 is the first decade and 11-20 is the second decade.

Applying mary's philosophy to team selection (i.e. rinse and repeat), then each decade of 10 years starts with last digit of the first year as '1' and ends with the last digit as '0'.

So the decade we call the 1990s starts in 1991 and ends in 2000.

I can see that, intuitively, the 1990s should start in 1990 and end in 1999. But at what point do you apply this "correction" given that we start at year 1?
The argument that the millennium starts at 1 and ends with 1000 is based on the act that there was no 0 (a legacy from a primitive maths system that hadn't grasped the number 0 - sorry OT).

The way we measure decades aren't subject to primitive maths because we have a starting point of 0. Ergo the 90's start at 1990.

dannyt

Coach
By very definition the decade we call the 90’s starts in 1990 - as by naming it the 90s, we have classified the base number as 1990.

If we are accumulating all years since year 1 as our point of reference, we could say the 190th decade starts in 1991..
Exactly.

Glad you finally agree

dannyt

Coach
The argument that the millennium starts at 1 and ends with 1000 is based on the act that there was no 0 (a legacy from a primitive maths system that hadn't grasped the number 0 - sorry OT).

The way we measure decades aren't subject to primitive maths because we have a starting point of 0. Ergo the 90's start at 1990.
But then you have disconnect between decades with millennia and centuries.

dannyt

Coach
Yep. But I'd call it a correction due to modern knowledge.

Sounds fancy that way.
Hmmm....
So the decade known as the 90s ended one year before both the 20th century and 2nd millennia.
Would've been easier to call the year 1 "year 0", then we wouldn't be having this debate.
We would also be living in 2017, and mary would have 2 years more, not one.
F@#% that.

st penguin

Juniors

But the Waiter can't split $5 three ways, so he gives the friends one dollar each and keeps 2 dollars as a tip.

The real puzzle is where you get a nice meal for 3 that costs 25 bucks!

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don’t.

hazzbeen

Bench

Same as counting back on your fingers 10 , 9 ,8 ,7 ,6 + 5 fingers on the other hand = 11 ..

Life's Good

Coach
Tldr:

1. It turns out the year 2000 wasn’t in the 90s
2. There is a way to argue that dragons have appeared in a gf every decade
3. Next time you see Mary - throw an apple at him
4. We don’t have any figs

I think that sums it up

Hmmm, I’d prefer we find the figs to throw at the coach. Easier to hold when throwing, less likely to injure(I don’t wish pain on anyone, except pedos & rapists)but more chance of a mess.

Life's Good

Coach
You should stick around.

Easily the least depressing thread in the forum ATM.
Mate, it’s actually the reason that I’m not in here as much(plenty are probably happy about it).
My attitude is sports teams are like Ponzi schemes. You put money, emotion & hope in the belief you’ll get something out of it. Reality is you get a few crumbs that keep you holding out for more.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

And where does the 1990s finish using this premise?

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Tldr:

1. It turns out the year 2000 wasn’t in the 90s
2. There is a way to argue that dragons have appeared in a gf every decade
3. Next time you see Mary - throw an apple at him
4. We don’t have any figs

I think that sums it up

Point one is paradoxical to point 2.

Latest posts