What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
My god league fans sound so insecure at times, on 2SM there now the guy starts saying, afl does this, afl does that, why don't we copy them.......blah blah blah. He even said battle of the codes! Massive face palm. There is no war its media BS.

If they get continued coverage into NSW/QLD so be it, who cares. We should push for the same in the rest of the country and stop worrying about the bloody afl as their is bugger all anyone can do about it.

Rant over

seanoff

Juniors
Does she bring the baby with her or does she drown it first? Remember the kid might be a ticket for you to get your hands on Orlando's millions.

i'm hoping she brings the new and improved rack.

looks very decent now.:D

juro

Bench
Maybe. I wonder how the figures would stake up if we kept the remaining five games, made them available exclusively online, and charged $20 per month like we already do for international viewers. Regardless of how the numbers add up this time, internet based distribution is going to become a significant factor over the coming years - increasingly marginalising all other television distribution platforms, both subscription and advertiser supported free to air.

Leigh.
What if you had a fixed cost per game downloaded instead of an amount per month.

Just throwing some rough numbers together...
5 games per week x 5 year contract x 26 rounds x $4 per game... If you averaged 400,000 downloads per game (higher than the current foxtel ratings, granted), that would come to $1.04 billion, not counting the 3 games on FTA.

If there was advertising similar to foxtel, would that cover the cost of production and distribution?

El Diablo

Post Whore
i would prefer the NRL give rights away to FTA and see Fox go down the gurgler if they don't wanto pay up

CC_Roosters

First Grade
If i heard roy right on the foxtel component, he is worried the conflicts of interest between foxtel/telstra/news in RL may result in it being undervalued again. If that turns out to be the case and the total rights get say $600m it would be a massive disgrace. hopefully roy is off the mark but now this has me worried

flippikat

First Grade
Just wondering, how much does the NRL make fom overseas TV rights?

I realise that it's probably small-fry compared to the Australian rights, but surely not insignificant?

This is one thing that NRL has over AFL.

andrew057

First Grade
Roy brought up the same concerns I've mentioned in this thread a few times about Channel 7 being willing to bid for say SOO and Channel 9 simply saying they cant under their first and last rights deal.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Roy brought up the same concerns I've mentioned in this thread a few times about Channel 7 being willing to bid for say SOO and Channel 9 simply saying they cant under their first and last rights deal.

Surely it is an NRL decision on how to package the sport, so if they decide to split it into say NRL and rep footy packages then 7 has every right to bid for each package?

El Diablo

Post Whore

he didn't say that 9 have said that

in all his articles and today he has neever had a quote from 9 stating they have said any such thing

it's him speculating

andrew057

First Grade
he didn't say that 9 have said that

in all his articles and today he has neever had a quote from 9 stating they have said any such thing

it's him speculating

Yeah which the majority of his stuff is.

What would you speculate ElD? Do you think Channel 9 would be happy to let the NRL split the rights up and allow all the other networks to bid for portions of the game?

No chance in hell imo.

beave

Coach
how can 9 dictate to the NRL in how they can split up the rights to the game???

Especially if the IC comes in and origin comes under the banner of the NRL.

andrew057

First Grade
how can 9 dictate to the NRL in how they can split up the rights to the game???

Especially if the IC comes in and origin comes under the banner of the NRL.

Because the contract that Channel 9 has first and last rights of refusal?

El Diablo

Post Whore
Yeah which the majority of his stuff is.

What would you speculate ElD? Do you think Channel 9 would be happy to let the NRL split the rights up and allow all the other networks to bid for portions of the game?

No chance in hell imo.

i would think that 9 would have first and last rights options on Origin if the NRL chose to seperate them from the actual comp

they can't force the NRL to sell it all as one

stay off the drugs!!!

there are four possible bidders for the NRL rights. 9 7 10 and Fox.

10 are pulling back from sport, 7 have 4 AFL games already. so they are probably a bit limited in their interest.

that leaves Fox and 9. 9 are not going to show wall to wall NRL every weekend.

so whether you like it or not Fox will HAVE to take games. what they pay will depend on what games they get.. with the AFL they are getting all the games so they'll pay full price for those. if the NRL offer them games 4 - 9. not going to pay so much.

this is the real world, not some sort of fantasy world where the NRL is everything to everybody

10 are pulling back from "Filler Sports" on One HD that have very few viewers,& are sick of losing $$$$ on Having to show prime time AFL in NOrthern states that rate like the SBS test pattern.
They will still show "premium Sports" & i think in this country RL is definately a Premium Sport.
How much they bid & for what games remain to be seen,but if they had an open Chequebook(word is they dont) i could see them having a massive tilt at all the rights.
I suspect they will want the Mon night game,& possibly one of the Sat night games.

andrew057

First Grade
does that contract stipulate all forms of Rugby League in this country??

Only those privy to the actual contract would know that.

From what I understand Fox and Channel 9 both have first and last refusal on their current games.

Does that mean they have to be in the same package as they are now? No idea, but im sure both Fox and Channel 9 would want to keep them as a package to limit competition for the rights.

andrew057

First Grade
i would think that 9 would have first and last rights options on Origin if the NRL chose to seperate them from the actual comp

they can't force the NRL to sell it all as one

Depends on whats in the contract. The whole situation is still pretty murky.

Status
Not open for further replies.