What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a story going around that if a bid was put in by a rival that was 20% more than 9's bid then the first & last rights bid clause was void.
How true ..Who knows?
If true i can still see 7 putting in a massive bid just to force the rights up for 9;
Paybacks a bitch.

andrew057

First Grade
There was a story going around that if a bid was put in by a rival that was 20% more than 9's bid then the first & last rights bid clause was void.
How true ..Who knows?
If true i can still see 7 putting in a massive bid just to force the rights up for 9;
Paybacks a bitch.

Going off the articles it seems most think that the 20% is correct.

This assures Channel 9 will at least put in a very competitive first bid to avoid losing their first and last rights. If Channel 7 bid 20% more than that, very happy days for the league.

applesauce

Bench
10 are pulling back from "Filler Sports" on One HD that have very few viewers,& are sick of losing $$$$ on Having to show prime time AFL in NOrthern states that rate like the SBS test pattern.
They will still show "premium Sports" & i think in this country RL is definately a Premium Sport.
How much they bid & for what games remain to be seen,but if they had an open Chequebook(word is they dont) i could see them having a massive tilt at all the rights.
I suspect they will want the Mon night game,& possibly one of the Sat night games.

Don't know how reliable this is but this was a comment by the BNEII bid team, on thier FB page regarding the rights.

Whispers are that 10 /oneHD will pay over the Billion dollar mark to get access. This means 9 will get to match it as last rights holder.

If 10 play hard ball from the start 9 will lose 1st and last rights early.

Last edited:
Would love 10 to get all(Highly doubtful) as they would promote the crap out of it OZ wide,& also show it in HD on ONE........Excatly the opposite of what nine do now.

Tigger Madness

Juniors
On the face of it, I would think that there's no chance in hell that Ten would bid 1 billion for the lot.

BUT, when you consider the cosy relationship that Ten & Foxtel enjoy through their owners you have to ask whether Ten could buy the lot and then onsell some the games to Foxtel?

applesauce

Bench
On the face of it, I would think that there's no chance in hell that Ten would bid 1 billion for the lot.

BUT, when you consider the cosy relationship that Ten & Foxtel enjoy through their owners you have to ask whether Ten could buy the lot and then onsell some the games to Foxtel?

Bingo. I think that is the basis of the rumour.

Packer and Murdoch are using the same plan as their fathers to make their business successful, hopefully this time they don't f**k the game over.

Essentially with Fox getting every AFL game they don't have to rely so heavy on RL content. FS can buy a few games from Ten to ensure subscriptions but then Packer & Murdoch will have the successful arm of Foxtel (FoxSports) and have the FTA bonus of bringing 10 closer to the powers of 7 & 9 due to RL content.

Last edited:

nrlnrl

First Grade
If i heard roy right on the foxtel component, he is worried the conflicts of interest between foxtel/telstra/news in RL may result in it being undervalued again. If that turns out to be the case and the total rights get say $600m it would be a massive disgrace. hopefully roy is off the mark but now this has me worried

gee, we'd better check the tape ! Roy Master talking negatively about Foxtel - no, I don't believe it [-(

docbrown

Coach
Essentially with Fox getting every AFL game they don't have to rely so heavy on RL content. FS can buy a few games from Ten to ensure subscriptions but then Packer & Murdoch will have the successful arm of Foxtel (FoxSports) and have the FTA bonus of bringing 10 closer to the powers of 7 & 9 due to RL content.

Yes I believe this is their intent.

I just don't see where the money is coming from.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Would love 10 to get all(Highly doubtful) as they would promote the crap out of it OZ wide,& also show it in HD on ONE........Excatly the opposite of what nine do now.

by the time the NRL rights start up in 2013 channels are allowed to have more than one HD channel

Ray Mosters

Juniors
Yes I believe this is their intent.

I just don't see where the money is coming from.
I have heard a rumour that 10 are going to go hard for the NRL, but that was a while ago and from what I read in the media recently Packer is downsizing the place and making it cost efficient, and any property, especially sport, is going to have to run at a profit. From what they are saying they plan for the network, and judging by their disinterest in AFL, it's doubtful they will end up with any AFL or NRL, as both are going to be expensive.

Add to that his interest in keeping the NRL cheap for his Foxtel holdings, I seriously don't think we can rely on Ten for any competitive tension

Our hopes rest on pitting the largess of 7 against the belligerence of 9

andrew057

First Grade
Looks like the AFL will be getting their own dedicated channel on Foxtel as part of their new TV rights. Would something like this work for the NRL?

flippikat

First Grade
Looks like the AFL will be getting their own dedicated channel on Foxtel as part of their new TV rights. Would something like this work for the NRL?

Didn't they try that before? I used to see promos for a 'Footy Channel' on some of the Fox shows that Sky carries over here in NZ

Anyway, if the NRL can get it's own dedicated channel, I think it would go down a treat here too. And raise more $$$ for the game

Sky already have a dedicated Rugby Union channel that plays post-game press conferences, exclusive panel shows, classic games, European & Japanese club rugby, and even the odd schoolboy game.

bobmar28

Bench
Didn't they try that before? I used to see promos for a 'Footy Channel' on some of the Fox shows that Sky carries over here in NZ

Anyway, if the NRL can get it's own dedicated channel, I think it would go down a treat here too. And raise more $$$ for the game

Sky already have a dedicated Rugby Union channel that plays post-game press conferences, exclusive panel shows, classic games, European & Japanese club rugby, and even the odd schoolboy game.

They tried it before and it failed miserably.

babyg

Juniors

That would great, then the sports channels wouldn't be polluted with crap.

Ray Mosters

Juniors
10 without any sport is destined to 3rd place, how is that good for business?
Because its cheap. A company with small costs and medium returns is making a profit, as opposed to what they are now, a company with high costs and medium returns thats making a loss.

A lot of emphasis on here is placed on ratings, but its only half the story, the business of broadcasting doesn't begin and end with ratings, they have to make a profit out of those people watching by selling advertising.

Channel 10 was built on inexpensive American shows (like the Simpsons) reliably capturing the valuable youth demographic. Im not surprised that Murdoch is taking it back to its small, profitable roots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts