What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ghost writer!

I understand the comment about Nine not letting Fox have more games, surely that will come down to the NRL to decide based on who offers what?

Super Saturday is the best thing that the NRL has going for it.

Sit down at 3pm, crack a cold one and stay comfortable until 10pm.

Having said that, I hope that Ten make a play so we can force FOX to pay up for it. Perth will pretty much become a Saturday night team because they can offer a live game at 9:30pm. They'll only switch when they want a Sunday game that can be shown on FOX at 6pm.

I'dlove to see:

Friday: Double header on 7
Saturday: Super Saturday on FOX
Sunday: 3 games split between FOX and 7
Monday: Ten or FOX.

Sunday could go either:
Midday FOX (NZ), 2pm FOX, 4pm delayed 7; or
2pm FOX, 4pm delayed 7, 6pm Live FOX (Perth)

If FOX gets Monday then I hope Ten get a Sunday game.

BDGS

Bench
to maximise TV deal...

Central Coast/PNG(and maybe Central Qld due to being regional) = bad
SE Qld/Perth/Adelaide/Wellington = good.

I thought you used the block function on my post? :)

I didn't even mention expansion though.

Agreed 100%.

Even a 2nd New Zealand team is a priority before Adelaide.

Yes, but if we can just get them FTA coverage at a good time zone in the next TV deal (along with Melbourne and Perth) would do wonders

Bulldog Force

Referee
I'm certain this has been discussed but I'll ask anyway, now that 7 has Victorians covered for the next 5 years, is this a big win for channel 10? With One HD I mean, is 10 the most likely contender to get the NRL rights deal?

seanoff

Juniors
I'm certain this has been discussed but I'll ask anyway, now that 7 has Victorians covered for the next 5 years, is this a big win for channel 10? With One HD I mean, is 10 the most likely contender to get the NRL rights deal?

we don't know.

1 is becoming a much more general entertainment channel, like Go and Mate. They are pulling back from sport in a big way.

so they might want NRL or they might not, but they are no longer a sports channel

nrlnrl

First Grade
exactly

bunniesman's lame attitide has fox assuming... no .. knowing .. they have us ova a barrell too.. so will bid anything they frigginwell please ... & if bunniesman was CEO ... we'd take it .. again
never being able to break this cycle regardless of our superior standing to our rival who just got 1.2 billion.
we fight now ... or we never will

put the product up for sale to ANYONE who is interested in winning the ratings in NSW & QLD .. but for the right price.
FTA stations can take their pick ... Sat nights & Monday nights .. guys you want them then you can have them at a price ... Fox have no " right " to them .. unless they pay the " right " price for them

I know the money is important, but we shouldn't become infatuated with hitting a certain figure. Another important factor is the viewer friendly nature of any component of the deal. I know Ch9 & Fox Sports aren't perfect, but let's be careful in assuming that any new rights partners will do the right thing by the viewers & not just outbid others to show them at times most convenient to their programming rather than putting viewers first.

Perth Red

Post Whore
With digital channels there is no reason that every FTA game shouldn't be live nationally. That should be a non negotiable as part of any deal.

I find it hard to believe that Ch10 wont show any sport. If they want to become the "home" of NRL or if they will buy a couple of AFL games off 7 and a couple of NRL games will be interesting to see.

Goddo

Bench
I thought you used the block function on my post? :)

I didn't even mention expansion though.

I turned it off, the dribble you post is so bad its funny.

I wasn't trying to flame you about your beloved Bears, merely pointing out where the most TV money was in expansion..

Will you try to argue that the Central Coast would be worth more than Wellington/Perth/Adelaide/Brisbane?

It will be futile of you, but funny for me and everyone else who knows anything about the TV deal.

duylm

Juniors
we don't know.

1 is becoming a much more general entertainment channel, like Go and Mate. They are pulling back from sport in a big way.

so they might want NRL or they might not, but they are no longer a sports channel

In their announcements they say that they will continue to show PREMIUM sport. So i'd say much less of Pro Bullriding, Slamball, Extreme paintball, and any of those other fantastic sports that'll never rate.

BDGS

Bench
I turned it off, the dribble you post is so bad its funny.

I wasn't trying to flame you about your beloved Bears, merely pointing out where the most TV money was in expansion..

Will you try to argue that the Central Coast would be worth more than Wellington/Perth/Adelaide/Brisbane?

It will be futile of you, but funny for me and everyone else who knows anything about the TV deal.

I would say that all of the TV money is in the product of the game and not in the decisions made on expansion.

You think i make "stupid post" but then you deliver this crap. I actually think the only downside to the Central Coast Bears bid is that it will deliver less TV money for the next TV deal then having a side in WA and another in QLD.

But my opinions on expansion aren't limited to financial greed.

Goddo

Bench
I would say that all of the TV money is in the product of the game and not in the decisions made on expansion.

You think i make "stupid post" but then you deliver this crap. I actually think the only downside to the Central Coast Bears bid is that it will deliver less TV money for the next TV deal then having a side in WA and another in QLD.

But my opinions on expansion aren't limited to financial greed.

Aw, its no fun when you agree with me.

babyg

Juniors
As well as MOn night on FTA ,i would like to see still see three Sat games.
4.00PM..Live on fox
6.00 Live on fox
8.00 Live on FTA.

I like that one. Even a simulcast on fox at 8.30 may keep fox happy, they need super Saturday. And I would love to see a fta game on Saturday nights to stop the free ride afl gets.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Watching One week at a time for the first time. Good show and great insight from Bennett. Really impressed with both of the RL shows on OneHD so hope Ten get at least some rights given how they are presenting it now

BDGS

Bench
Alright guys, who 'in-the-know' can tell me how much we are really looking at for our next TV deal?

Perth Red

Post Whore
no one knows. I would suggest anywhere between $750mill and $1.1bil but your guess is as good as everyone elses.

Mark Rudd

Juniors
If all 3 FTA stations really do want a piece of RL action, and if they all offer a decent deal, FOX may have no choice then to go record deal for the NRL.

Although I can't imagine one FTA going for the lot. But spread over the 3 - various nights on different stations, Origin, Test, Finals etc broken up, maybe Fox will be left with nothing.

That.s my dream anyway. I hate paying to watch sports.

But the question is, what is a comparable deal to the AFL? The AFL DOES cost more to run then the NRL. Extra teams and running costs, etc etc etc.

So does the NRL actually need to be close to have a similar % if you catch my drift?

So, the equation is:

(AFL / NRL) x telecast rights,sponsers etc / teams, running costs, marketing, player and Offical payments etc = %(?)

For instance, an $800m deal for NRL may be equal to AFL deal after the above equation is applied.

A $900m deal might actually be ahead if you catch my drift.

Maybe the NRL need $1.1B to match if you all can see my point.

And maybe, just maybe, I'm way off the mark - no pun intended...or was it? - but until the mathematicians here can apply the necessary equation, we'll never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts