What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobmar28

Bench
Each to their own.. If your content to watch delayed games with massive amounts of ads then so be it.

In the real world however nothing beats live ad free games ( asides from being there).

The second Friday game is a disgrace. It's better to record the foxtel version of it and watch it in combination with super Saturday.

In the real world nothing beats a billion dollars, with or without ads. And yes as long as they take it national Gallagher.

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
DUI Bec in her column today seems to think Gallop WILL be doing the TV deal.

She either has no idea or...

docbrown

Coach
DUI Bec in her column today seems to think Gallop WILL be doing the TV deal.

She either has no idea or...

The clubs have told him not to start anything until the IC gets under way.

However what will likely happen is that a subcommittee of the IC would take charge of the negotiations and that may involve Gallop - but he would likely be under a lot of supervision...

I suspect at this point Gallop is also thinking about how he will be remembered by the fans - as the outcome of this deal is most likely going to be what people either praise him or curse him for.

Mong

Post Whore
In the real world nothing beats a billion dollars, with or without ads. And yes as long as they take it national Gallagher.

As already said, some prefer quality of presentation, others are guided by money and will accept rubbish.

Each to their own.

BDGS

Bench
I'm the first to admit that i am out of the loop on TV deal discussions, but i have been keeping up to date with the news. Just haven't been keeping up to date with this thread.

I think its looking more and more likely that we will see a set up similar to this:

7 - State Of Origin
9 - NRL, NRL finals (Friday Night (2games), Sunday (one game).
10 - Thursday Night or Monday Night football, plus extra game due to NRL expansion so they could end up with Thursday and Monday night football.
Foxtel - Super Saturday, NRL Sunday. Plus simultaneous or delayed showing of all other games.

No idea where International Rugby League will end up though.

TV deal - 950 Million.

additional change - games shown at regular and decent times in Melbourne, WA and SA.

SA often get the feed from Melbourne (i think) so thats why they will get it ... hopefully.

docbrown

Coach
10 - Thursday Night or Monday Night football, plus extra game due to NRL expansion so they could end up with Thursday and Monday night football.

Of course most of these dealings are obfuscated, but I think with Monday/Thursday night games it will be one or the other.

bobmar28

Bench
raiderdave, your heart is in the right place but you're just plain wrong. To say "fox needs us but we don't need them" is BS, we need them just as badly if not more so. If we walked away from them the FTA networks would know they'd have us bent over and they'd run with it. We'd be forced to sign an awful contract with the FTA networks and hurt ourselves in the long term, either that or maybe we'll tell them to F off too and just shut up shop?

No body would know anything. Simply ask for bids, FTA or Pay. Whoever bids the most gets the contract.

bobmar28

Bench
the landscape has changed significantly since the last rights deals were done.

the FTA channels can show protected sport on their secondary channels, this wasn't allowed before this yr and the AFL held their negotiations to get a ruling.

Fox are now allowed to bid by themselves. in the last round a FTA channels had to buy ALL the rights and on sell them to Fox.

and raiderdave.

this is the real world. FTA are not ever going to show 8 games of NRL a week. NEVER. the only way all games are going to be shown is if pay show the majority of them.

3 networks can't show 8 games?

docbrown

Coach
3 networks can't show 8 games?

It would suffer from over saturation. Viewers become more selective about what they watch and it would also affect gate takings.

However - the attractiveness of Rugby League subscribers to foxtel is also the attractiveness of the timeslots. Take away Mondays & uninterrupted Saturdays, is it as appealing? Also how many FTA games of Rugby League would result in a subscription base drop? By the sounds of it, around 5 or 6 seems to be the average. I'm not advocating that the IC says pay us X amount or you get nothing (because we'll struggle more than Foxtel) - but they can use competitive tension for the individual slots, the Austar take over and the amount of F2A coverage to drive up the Foxtel contribution.

docbrown

Coach
This seems better off in this thread:

Wait...can someone explain the first and last rights thing?

It's just a contractural term which means that before any other bidders can vie for a property (i.e. the rugby league rights) that the seller must first receive a bid from the previous owner (in this case 9/Foxtel) based on the original terms of agreement (i.e. 3 games per week + finals + reps)

After that other bidders can enter the auction. However - in the case of first & last rights, the original bidder reserves the right to match the highest bid of any of the other competing parties.

In the NRL's F2A clause though it states that these rights are negated if a competing bidder exceeds 20% above the terms of the first bid. So say if 9 open with say $300 million and 7 counter with $361 million, then the last rights are negated and the original terms of agreement are no longer applicable.

What's good about that is that at that point, the NRL would no longer be obliged to inform 9 of what the other parties are bidding and so they would be required to estimate what would be a competitive bid which is to the NRL's advantage.

The best thing that could happen is that 9 & Foxtel put in their bid for the 8 games - then 7 & 10 (if they can put their mutual animosity aside) immediately out bid the first & last rights for the entire package (which is why it's so important to know what the new F&L rights foxtel agreement with IC will be).

In that way they not only dwindle their competitors' cash reserves - but it allows the game to be broken up with the networks fighting for individual pieces. Then at that point the NRL/IC can bring in potential new timeslots, a 9th game and changes to lead-ins and ad breaks that complicate the negotiations further. Under that scenario 9 & Foxtel would have to pull something big out of their hats in order to keep their current domination.

Goddo

Bench
I'm the first to admit that i am out of the loop on TV deal discussions, but i have been keeping up to date with the news. Just haven't been keeping up to date with this thread.

I think its looking more and more likely that we will see a set up similar to this:

7 - State Of Origin
9 - NRL, NRL finals (Friday Night (2games), Sunday (one game).
Foxtel - Super Saturday, NRL Sunday. Plus simultaneous or delayed showing of all other games.

No idea where International Rugby League will end up though.

TV deal - 950 Million.

additional change - games shown at regular and decent times in Melbourne, WA and SA.

SA often get the feed from Melbourne (i think) so thats why they will get it ... hopefully.

to maximise TV deal...

Central Coast/PNG(and maybe Central Qld due to being regional) = bad
SE Qld/Perth/Adelaide/Wellington = good.

Quidgybo

Bench
to maximise TV deal...

Central Coast/PNG(and maybe Central Qld due to being regional) = bad
SE Qld/Perth/Adelaide/Wellington = good.
I think the game is not ready for Adelaide. Going into Adelaide any time soon would be our GWS Giants. We are already subsidising a frontier side in Melbourne and we're about to take on another club in Perth that will need help growing in a minor state. Both those projects are much further advanced and less dependent than the AFL's gambit in West Sydney.

Melbourne has 13 years of investment in Australia's second biggest market, a stable football department, competitive team on the field and a new purpose built stadium. Perth has a booming local market, significant immigration from Rugby League heartland, and a small but homegrown Rugby League base.

Adelaide would be a hugely expensive drag for the game for many years on top of the two frontier markets we'll already be supporting. Eventually it will pay off. But that will be many years after Melbourne, Perth and even Wellington/Christchurch have grown to be self sufficient and a huge source of support and television income for the game. Adelaide will still be there.

Leigh

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
I think the game is not ready for Adelaide. Going into Adelaide any time soon would be our GWS Giants. We are already subsidising a frontier side in Melbourne and we're about to take on another club in Perth that will need help growing in a minor state. Both those projects are much further advanced and less dependent than the AFL's gambit in West Sydney.

Melbourne has 13 years of investment in Australia's second biggest market, a stable football department, competitive team on the field and a new purpose built stadium. Perth has a booming local market, significant immigration from Rugby League heartland, and a small but homegrown Rugby League base.

Adelaide would be a hugely expensive drag for the game for many years on top of the two frontier markets we'll already be supporting. Eventually it will pay off. But that will many years after Melbourne, Perth and even Wellington/Christchurch have grown to be self sufficient and a huge source of support and television income for the game.

Leigh

Agreed 100%.

Even a 2nd New Zealand team is a priority before Adelaide.

Goddo

Bench
You are right Quidgybo, I was just pointing out where the TV money is for us.

Wellington and Adelaide aren't feasible yet, as they would cost as much if not more than they generate.

Perth and Brisbane are ready, and are gold mines for the game.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Agreed 100%.

Even a 2nd New Zealand team is a priority before Adelaide.

I dunno, it’s not like SA has nothing going for it: Over a million people, Adelaide counts towards the OZTAM ratings, less travel distance, new time slot, has the least competitive sporting market of the major cities, stadium already there, etc.

Who knows what 5 years of development could do? The WARL only resurrected the Reds five years ago and now they’re the front runner for the NRL’s 17th team. And that’s with sfa serious assistance to develop the game in WA (compared to what the AFL does in QLD and NSW). Imagine what the SARL/Rams could do if they had the kind of resources we should have after this next media deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.