What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brutus

Referee
If the IC was up a year ago like it was ment to be then maybe. But there is literally noone else to do the negotiation right now.

God help us.

What a farked situation the game is in when there is all this fick-f**king around ahead of what is without doubt the most important deal our game will sign.

Ray Mosters

Juniors
Hmmmm, it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

A cut in rounds will not adversely affect the PayTV value, most of the revenue comes from subscriptions, which are sold in year long blocks.

As for FTA, as long as there is a commensurate increase in ad revenue, by increasing the rate of advertising in those games, we can cut the number of rounds without decreasing the overall value of the rights.

Of course, I was hoping for that to massively increase the value, not even out losses.

But the same choice will come up many times as we try to make changes, like the fixed schedule.

Last edited:

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Gus's grand plan for the international game is almost identical to a post i made in the international forum a few weeks ago. That is something i really want to see, its so simple that it doesn't even require drastic change and could make us extra millions and saturate the tv with more league.

Brutus

Referee
I like Gus's plan in the paper today as well.

The NRL will tell us why we can't do it. They won't offer a solution.

Bring in the IC...NOW!!

I really like the idea of the mid-season knockout comp and his 4 year plan for the international game. Not a fan or Origin on Saturday nights though. Still like it mid-week or Monday. On the weekend it loses it's standing as the major focus.

I also like how Gus says "I will have far more to say about the NRL management soon. Suffice to say, the bell tolls for this lot. Their time is up."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/grand-plan-to-beat-burnout-20110604-1fm41.html

Great article Gus.

docbrown

Coach
Thanks for putting it up guys. Just want to quote the whole thing for the record:

❏ Weeks one to 11 of the season give us 11 matches of home-and-away club football. After round 11 the NRL competition goes on a one-month holiday. Round 11 matches are completed on the Friday and Saturdays of that weekend. The Origin teams are announced at a lavish function on the Sunday; and the NSW and Queensland teams have a week to get ready for Origin I.

❏ Over the next four weekends we will stage three Saturday night State of Origin matches; followed by a Test between Australia and New Zealand on the final weekend. I would like the National Youth Competition to mirror this representative program and be played as curtain-raisers to the senior Origin and Test program.

❏ While the rep footy is being played, the 16 NRL club teams compete in a mid-season knockout competition. There will be eight games in week one, four in week two, two semi-finals in week three, and a final in week four, the same weekend of the Australia/New Zealand Test. Let's give the winner of the ''Mid-Season Cup'' $2 million - all clubs earn extra cash along the way depending on how far they go. No Origin or Test star can play in the knockout comp on the same weekend.

The Mid-Season Cup represents a new TV product for the game to sell. It can easily be simulcast on free-to-air and pay-TV. All these games could be played on Sundays and Mondays - afternoon and nights. It gives the teams down the bottom of the ladder after 11 rounds a chance to salvage something from the season.

Teams knocked out in round one do face the prospect of three spare weekends without football. Of course, they could play their players back in the second-tier NSW and QLD Cups to give that competition some much-needed profile - or they could choose to use the break in other ways. Others knocked out in weeks two and three can arrange their spare time as they please. The two teams that go through to the final won't mind the extra games because of the money on offer. This competition solves the problem of stand-alone Origin and Tests as it gives us competitive football on the Sundays after Origin and Tests.

It gives the lesser teams a chance to win something big while the top teams play without rep stars. Of course the top teams have their eyes on the bigger games in September.

Once this month of rep football and mid-season knockout ends, we continue on with the last 11 rounds. So, after 26 weeks, we have 22 weeks of home-and-away club football; a four-week Origin and Test period where no rep player has to back up for his club in the same weekend; a new mid-season knockout comp with huge prizemoney and new TV earnings; and no club has had to play a vital premiership match without rep stars on Origin or Test duty.

The most any player will play during this period is 26 games of rugby league - but always with an adequate recovery period. The vast majority of players will have enjoyed some period of rest.

The clubs all get 11 home games instead of the current 12 - however, there are two important points here. These 11 home games will not be reduced in quality due to players backing up or unavailable through rep football. Eight clubs will get a further home game in the first round of the mid-season knockout.

If we reverse the draw for this first round of the knockout comp the following season, then teams will get 23 better-quality home games in a two-year period instead of the current 24 home games, 14 of which are now reduced in quality and standard due to rep players backing up or unavailable. It's a no-brainer that the clubs are hugely better off.

As for the end-of-season international rep football; I suggest a four-year rotation of the following;
❏ Year 1:A return of the Kangaroos tour of England.
While this is being played in England, we hold a Pacific Nations Cup in Australia involving New Zealand Maori, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, PNG, NZ, and we include emerging NSW and Queensland teams in this competition. This gives us another TV product.
❏ Year 2:A three-match Test series against New Zealand.
❏ Year 3:A tri-series between Australia, New Zealand and Great Britain in England. In Australia we could hold another Pacific Islands Cup, but this time without the NSW and QLD teams.
❏ Year 4:World Cup.

I've been waiting for this but I didn't think he'd publish this quickly. Whilst we both agree that a mid-season cup is better than overshadowing NRL matches, we do have our own opinions on the format.

That said - talk like this is what is needed. Also the NRL are investigating it too now as they see value in what is effectively a mid-year finals tournament.

docbrown

Coach
What about clubs tanking in week one of the knock-out comp so they get 3 weeks off ?

That's why I believe the knockout cup needs to affect the overall premiership ladder - hence why it should be played for some kind of points.

There'd be no points for byes/tanking under that system and teams are rewarded for winning.

It would be like a mini-race within the overall race.

docbrown

Coach
Before I forget - the other thing in discussion is how the fourth weekend opens up space for a 7's/9's comp as well.

So you might have:

* Either Origin III or ANZAC test match (depending on whether we put it in the right order. Having a NZ vs PI all stars game before the test match would alleviate New Zealand's concerns about not having an Origin test of their own)
* Knockout Cup final
* 7's/9's tournament

I've written before about the value of bring backing that competition in a three-tiered format.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Would $2 million prize money stop teams running out B sides in the cup?

Bloody right it would, cronulla would go for it big time if that wast he money involved. :) In fact dangle that to most sports clubs in this country and they would be drooling.

bradman

Juniors
Ridiculous notion to move origin away from wednesday,a Friday or weekend would sacrifice a million viewers at least.... cuckoo....

docbrown

Coach
Ridiculous notion to move origin away from wednesday,a Friday or weekend would sacrifice a million viewers at least.... cuckoo....

Based on what? 2001 Origin ratings for 2 games only?

Ratings for Origin have increased massively since then.

Think about the Sunday Night Grand Final and what that was up against. There's no reason why a weekend Origin game couldn't do the same. If you want to maximise viewers though, Sunday would work best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts